Trade Deadline Top Pitching Targets

shago

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 04:45 PM)
Nobody's system is overflowing with guys like this. He may be a 40 HR guy as soon as next season. He has uncommon power, and an approach that allows for adjustment - he's not dumb.

Mark Trumbo's 2011 stats (1st full season at age 25) look remarkably similar to DV's this year. How's that working out now? Much like our guy: power, uncommon.

This idea that what a guy IS is all he'll ever be seems to go hand-in-hand with the general impatience of an internet community. Improvement is almost never as quick as we want it to be.

Dayan could go on one of his tears and end up with 40 this year.

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 06:03 PM)
Been a while since I posted but here you go

https://twitter.com/jnorris427/status/225000416818118659

Heard from a source that ‪#WhiteSox‬ are definitely "zeroing in" on ‪#Yankees‬ Betances.

Probably to flip him.

That would be a classic Kenny Williams "buy low" trade. If I were the Yankees I would be afraid.

QUOTE (Carter224 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 09:10 PM)
Gimme a break, Viciedo is a .275 hitter who is gonna hit 25-30 homeruns, doesn't walk, doesn't hit doubles, and strikes out a lot..

Its crazy that people think Viciedo is some untouchable prize, yet Jared Mitchell who is having a solid season in Double A is horses*** and worthless..

Ide rather win now, and ide not only be up for trading Viciedo but Quintana as well.. Hell maybe you could sucker someone into taking Viciedo and Quintana as the only return for one of these top pitchers.. Wed STEAL that deal, easy

Mitchell is putting up lesser numbers at AA at an older age, than Viciedo is at the major league level. I'd like to see the list of 23 year old (or lower OFs putting up more impressive numbers.

By the way the guys in front of Dayan in terms of OPS, at Viciedos age or younger, in the OF?

Trout, Harper, Stanton, and Heyward.

Look at the list, and that is why people are high on Viciedo.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 06:18 AM)
It's funny how one loss to the Red Sox has people talking about selling and White Flag 2.0. Take a breath. Let's see how this series goes, and then maybe the series with Detroit goes before we give up.

It is funny to compare the relative optimism/pessimism to the point of the game that the team was in. It sure took a big turn down after the 3 run homer.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 08:08 AM)
It is funny to compare the relative optimism/pessimism to the point of the game that the team was in. It sure took a big turn down after the 3 run homer.

Someone should make a graph, similar to the win expectancy ones, of the optimism/pessimism of the game threads everyday.

QUOTE (MAX @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 11:22 PM)
Seriously?

What makes you believe that? A tear of the lowest grade?

The fact that a) he had the mysterious loss of velocity and b) that his injury is not responding to rest. Somebody pointed this out in a different thread, and I agree with that person. I just have a feeling that there is something more wrong, and that it is serious(pitching wise).

Edited by Elgin Slim

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 06:18 AM)
It's funny how one loss to the Red Sox has people talking about selling and White Flag 2.0. Take a breath. Let's see how this goes, and then maybe the series with Detroit goes before we give up.

Did you read my first post? Where I said exactly that? My other post was in response to a reply to my first post, in which I said that if the Sox fall into third place by the end of the month that they should consider selling, and that they shouldn't buy at least for another 7-10 days. I think they should split with Boston, and take at least 2/3 in Detroit for them to consider buying next by Monday.

Edited by Elgin Slim

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 09:32 AM)
Did you read my other post? Where I said exactly that? My other post was in response to a reply to my first post, in which I said that if the Sox fall into third place by the end of the month that they should consider selling, and that they shouldn't buy at least for another 7-10 days. I think they should split with Boston, and take at least 2/3 in Detroit for them to consider buying next by Monday.

Easy, easy. I wasn't singling anyone out. I was just remarking how after one loss (a disheartening one) the words "sell" and "white flag" start flowing. A agree with your assessment, though.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 09:22 AM)
Why? He hasn't made a clear winning trade since getting Quentin.

As inaccurate post as there is. The trade where that 3rd baseman was acquired for essentially nothing? That was pretty good.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 07:52 AM)
But as we have seen, the effect from those flags flying does not last forever. Sox attendance levels this year are lower than any year since 2002. Winning now puts more butts in the seats, but you8 do have to think of the team being competitive in the future do, because as we saw, the bandwagon will empty.

Beginning of '05 the team was valued by Forbes at $262M, after a World Series and a year in which they contended for a division title, in 2007 they were valued at $381M. A 45% increase in team value. Aside from a new park, nothing turbocharges a team's value like a World Series title.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 09:40 AM)
Beginning of '05 the team was valued by Forbes at $262M, after a World Series and a year in which they contended for a division title, in 2007 they were valued at $381M. A 45% increase in team value. Aside from a new park, nothing turbocharges a team's value like a World Series title.

Valuation has nothing to do with available cash.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 09:43 AM)
You do admit KW's recent trade history, he hasn't been stealing people blind.

In some cases, definitely agree. No point hashing them all out again. But then, there IS no GM who constantly fleeces other people. No such animal.

KW has definitely made some mistakes the past few years, I wouldn't argue otherwise. I just think your post about not having a good trade "win" since acquiring Quentin was anything like accurate.

Also, "winning" trades isn't necessarily about getting better results than the team you trade with. It is more about getting what you were looking for.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 09:58 AM)
Team Valuation has nothing to do with what a team can spend. Nothing at all. It is a completely meaningless point in the terms of this conversation that detracts from the rest of the discussion.

Sure it does. Revenues are factured into team valuation.