Trade Deadline Top Pitching Targets

shago

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 09:50 AM)
It seems they're growing frustrated with Logan Morrison, too.

It seems like "LoMo" is going to talk and tweet himself right out of the league. His antics are funny - when he's hitting and being productive. I imagine that s*** gets old quick when he's not producing.

Someone said that they don't think the Marlins would want to make a trade that benefitted the White Sox for fear that it could help the Sox win and make Ozzie look even worse. I can definitely see that.

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could see KW picking up the phone again and calling the Redsox, to inquire about Josh Beckett. Yes he has his character flaws at time but the guy could be a big time difference maker. Boston would have to pick up some money too but he fits the impact mold KW was talking about. Fact is Williams will have to get creative in order to land someone.

At this point I see us adding a smaller piece, bullpen arm or bench player.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 10:09 AM)
I could see KW picking up the phone again and calling the Redsox, to inquire about Josh Beckett. Yes he has his character flaws at time but the guy could be a big time difference maker. Boston would have to pick up some money too but he fits the impact mold KW was talking about.

Didn't Beckett accuse Youk of snitching on the team when they were enjoying chicken and beer during games?

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 10:04 AM)
It seems like "LoMo" is going to talk and tweet himself right out of the league. His antics are funny - when he's hitting and being productive. I imagine that s*** gets old quick when he's not producing.

Someone said that they don't think the Marlins would want to make a trade that benefitted the White Sox for fear that it could help the Sox win and make Ozzie look even worse. I can definitely see that.

If all things were fairly equal, I don't think the Marlins would send Josh Johnson to the White Sox for the reasons stated above. If the Sox were willing to take Heath Bell and help out Loria's bank account, that would be something totally different. I can't see the Sox taking Bell. On the Franchise show, Logan Morrison went back home to KC during the All Star break and went to a few festivites. One of the funniest scenes was when he was waiting for Derek Jeter who was coming up an escalator. When Jeter arrived Morrision walks up to him and says, "Hey Jetes", Jeter just looked at him and shook his hand. It was quite obvious Jeter had no idea who Logan Morrison was. Logan even acknowledged that a few seconds later.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 10:12 AM)
Didn't Beckett accuse Youk of snitching on the team when they were enjoying chicken and beer during games?

That is the suspected story, though Youkbsaid he was never confronted about it by Beckett.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 10:14 AM)
If all things were fairly equal, I don't think the Marlins would send Josh Johnson to the White Sox for the reasons stated above. If the Sox were willing to take Heath Bell and help out Loria's bank account, that would be something totally different. I can't see the Sox taking Bell. On the Franchise show, Logan Morrison went back home to KC during the All Star break and went to a few festivites. One of the funniest scenes was when he was waiting for Derek Jeter who was coming up an escalator. When Jeter arrived Morrision walks up to him and says, "Hey Jetes", Jeter just looked at him and shook his hand. It was quite obvious Jeter had no idea who Logan Morrison was. Logan even acknowledged that a few seconds later.

I saw that too. Jeter had no idea. He's a funny guy but he can get annoying.

I don't know... If Johnson came here and the Sox won it all I think it would raise too many eyebrows in Miami.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 10:19 AM)
I saw that too. Jeter had no idea. He's a funny guy but he can get annoying.

I don't know... If Johnson came here and the Sox won it all I think it would raise too many eyebrows in Miami.

I agree. Morrison seems like a guy who would be fun to be around for a while, but once it got old, and it wouldn't take all that long, it would be very annoying.

Unless they are planning on telling Ozzie to take a hike, I don't see KW making deals with Miami that gives this team an instant upgrade unless he's willing to pay a lot higher price than other teams. Josh Johnson helping the White Sox win a WS has too many bad PR angles for the Marlins.

QUOTE (TheCut87 @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 03:05 PM)
I was talking about taking a chance on him before the trade deadline ends i think if he is dealt it will be before the tuesday not during waiver period...if it is just fluid build up and the MRI was good to go, would KW trade for him now hoping this issue goes away in a week or two now knowing that he can get him possibly cheaper

You won't get him cheaper. The Cubs will just wait until the offseason when he's supposedly healthy to deal him. They are in no rush.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 09:21 AM)
Still think it would take Viciedo to get Johnson.

Greinke went for 3 minor leagers, why does everyone on this damn site think it will take half our starting lineup to get ANYONE from another team?

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 11:38 AM)
Because our minor league system blows.

Yeah, people been saying that for years, but it seems to keep producing players that produce in the bigs, Like this year. If it blew so much last year, we got a starter and most of our bullpen out of it. And really, the 3 guys that went for Greinke? Come on. Prospects are just proscpects, until they actualy produce in the bigs.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 11:43 AM)
Yeah, people been saying that for years, but it seems to keep producing players that produce in the bigs, Like this year. If it blew so much last year, we got a starter and most of our bullpen out of it. And really, the 3 guys that went for Greinke? Come on. Prospects are just proscpects, until they actualy produce in the bigs.

Read my post below yours.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 05:17 PM)
I think we end up with Dempster if anyone the way the market is shaping up. I would very much like to know what KW is thinking after losing out to Grienke. You know he is pissed. I just wonder if there is even another move out there.

Sox didn't lose out on Greinke, as they weren't even serious contenders down the stretch for him.

The Rangers and Angels have backed away from Johnson because they view his $13.5MM price tag as high considering his health history, Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com tweets.

MLBTR

There may be a smaller market for Johnson than originally thought. Atleast less competition for better farm systems. Maybe KW can work some magic. Grated Mia just as well could keep him.

Depending on what kind of trade MIA considers, MLB and the Commissioner's office are going to come down hard on Loria.

Trading Josh Johnson is going to be a lot less defensible if they want to sell any season tickets next season. With his injury history and salary, you just don't see teams coming up with the type of package that equals his talent level (once again, when healthy).

They've shown no indication of trying to trade Reyes or Buehrle, though.

•Clubs identify the Dodgers, Orioles and Blue Jays as other aggressively suitors for Johnson while the White Sox, Red Sox, Braves, and Royals have checked in.

If the Royals are serious about competing in 2013, Johnson would be the kind of pitcher they should be looking at...but it's going to cost Wil Myers + Odorizzi, something like that...one of their other young pitching prospects.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 01:42 PM)
Depending on what kind of trade MIA considers, MLB and the Commissioner's office are going to come down hard on Loria.

Trading Josh Johnson is going to be a lot less defensible if they want to sell any season tickets next season. With his injury history and salary, you just don't see teams coming up with the type of package that equals his talent level (once again, when healthy).

They've shown no indication of trying to trade Reyes or Buehrle, though.

•Clubs identify the Dodgers, Orioles and Blue Jays as other aggressively suitors for Johnson while the White Sox, Red Sox, Braves, and Royals have checked in.

If the Royals are serious about competing in 2013, Johnson would be the kind of pitcher they should be looking at...but it's going to cost Wil Myers + Odorizzi, something like that...one of their other young pitching prospects.

No joke. If KC is serious they have got to get pitching there, somehow.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 05:17 PM)
Not sure if that is really true.....

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin

From Doug Melvin on Greinke, via @adammccalvy: "Kenny worked really hard at it ...... I probably received as many texts from him [as anyone else]. It just wasn’t a match."

I know we are all used to Williams and his smoke screens, but I really don't think that was the case in this situation.

The lack of a quality farm system came back to bite the Sox, which we have all seen the past. The good news is, while Williams seems aggressive as ever, it seems like he has a better grasp of understanding the importance of having ammunition to play with come crunch time.

I love that it all happens via texts now ;)