Trade Deadline Top Pitching Targets

shago

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 07:49 AM)
2012 33 New York Mets $24,000,000

2013 34 New York Mets $25,500,000

2014 35 New York Mets *$25,000,000 $25M Team Option, $5.5M Buyout Option becomes player option if criteria is met relating to Cy Young finishes and 2011-2013 innings pitched

Woa! Ridiculous! I have this illogical theory about former Twins stars. They rarely equal their greatness once they leave that organization.

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 01:40 PM)
Guthrie isn't an upgrade over any of these. Maybe in Balt, where he had zero pressure to win, but not in a pennant race.

You're seriously going to argue that someone with a consistent 3 year big league track record of similar results for 200+ innings per season isn't an upgrade over:

1) Axelrod

2) Quintana

3) Humber

If that was the case, then we should be able to put 2 of those 3 together and acquire Greinke or Hamels, or at least Garza or Dempster.

But that's clearly NOT the case.

This is like the Marty argument in a way. If those guys are so good, why can't we get anything even better back for them?

Would even be willing to throw Doyle and Pedro Hernandez in, if we still had Terry on our roster.

But even those 4 pitchers wouldn't get you Greinke (two of Humber/Axelrod/Quintana) + Doyle + Hernandez.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 01:42 PM)
My prediction the Sox will make a trade for Sanchez..

Probably not a bad prediction. I could live with Sanchez depending on what they have to give up. Josh Johnson is intriguing though and even though he is struggling and that velocity is down, he is a typical Kenny Williams target.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 01:14 PM)
Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi

#Tigers #WhiteSox and #Orioles have checked in on #Padres lefty Clayton Richard. Former @umichfootball quarterback. Pitches today in SD.

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi

Add on Clayton Richard item from earlier: #Padres have taken multiple looks recently at #Tigers minor leaguers.

Comment From Kenny Williams Kenny Williams: ]

What will I end up doing?

Wednesday July 18, 2012 3:35 Kenny Williams

3:35 Ben Nicholson-Smith: The White Sox are looking for starting pitching. That Youkilis trade may be the biggest one of the summer for Williams, though.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 02:26 PM)
I can't believe more than half of the people on this site didn't want Youkilis at all.

Since last July/August, he had been pretty awful and kept getting injured, so I was worried about that, as well as his salary. Once I saw the Sox were only paying $2-3 mil and gave up little as far as talent, I was much more positive about the trade. I definitely never expected him to produce this well.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 04:31 PM)
I would love for Detroit to get Richard so he could dominate the Sox for 4 innings then fall apart and give up 6 runs or so and lose...

Ha, I was thinking the same thing. Keep any good pitchers away from DET by making them waste their trading chips on Clayton F'ing Richard. Guy sucks, seriously.

QUOTE (staxx @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 05:15 PM)
i'd like anibal, and its likely we would not have to give up so much.

Yep, very serviceable and cost effecient compared to the price tags on others. He would give us a nice back end starter while not sacrificing what's left in the farm.

I would be very confident in a Peavy-Sale-Danks(assuming healthy) trio should we make the playoffs.

QUOTE (northside sawx @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 05:46 PM)
Yep, very serviceable and cost effecient compared to the price tags on others. He would give us a nice back end starter while not sacrificing what's left in the farm.

I would be very confident in a Peavy-Sale-Danks(assuming healthy) trio should we make the playoffs.

Agreed Sanchez is one of the better options that doesnt take the little we do have in the farm. :gosoxretro:

http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-chicago...mp;feedID=10338

Earlier this week, a report surfaced that the White Sox had Zack Greinke on their radar. What that means is up for debate, but from a logical standpoint, it's tough to see the White Sox acquiring Greinke or any of the other top-flight starting pitchers on the trade market in the next few weeks.

But if the White Sox are serious about adding another starter to the mix, it makes much more sense for them to look a tier below the Grienkes, Garzas and Dempsters. And on Wednesday, a report from FOX Sports' Jon Morosi gave us a name, and it's one you may remember from such happenings such as the 2009 season and Jake Peavy trade: Clayton Richard.

Of course, "checked in" is about as vague of a trade deadline term as "on the radar." Like with Greinke, the Sox could be anywhere on the spectrum from kicking the tires to ready to execute a deal. And just because the White Sox have made some contact with San Diego about Richard doesn't mean the Padres are willing to trade him.

From a practical standpoint, though, Richard makes sense for the White Sox. He's developed into one of the National League's most durable starters and has a 3.83 ERA -- which, if it holds up, would be his third straight year with an ERA between 3.70 and 3.90.

Greinke, Ryan Dempster, Matt Garza and Cole Hamels will require a bounty for any team wishing to obtain their services prior to the July 31 non-waiver deadline. Richard, who has two more years of arbitration left before he hits free agency, likely wouldn't take a loaded package to pry away from San Diego.

Whereas the White Sox may not have the prospects to deal for a front-line starter at the deadline, they almost certainly could interest the Padres in a prospect or two for Richard.

The 28-year-old Richard has had an intriguing season with San Diego in 2012. Plenty of Padres pitchers since Petco Park opened have enjoyed the luxury of pitching half their games in its spacious dimensions. There were many who expected Jake Peavy to fall in Chicago thanks simply to moving from Petco Park to U.S. Cellular Field, where home runs are far more prevalent.

But Richard is actually allowing quite a high percentage of home runs both at home and on the road. At Petco Park, 13 percent of fly balls Richard has allowed have been home runs, while on the road that percentage is 16.7 percent. That's high across the board, but nonetheless is interesting for a successful Padres starter.

The good news for Richard is that he's walking opponents at the lowest rate of his major-league career, averaging 1.98 free passes per nine innings. He's not striking many out (about five per nine innings), but he's become an extreme ground ball pitcher -- over 50 percent of balls in play off Richard in the last two seasons have been on the ground.

That ground ball rate is a double-edged sword, though. While Richard has enjoyed success this season getting batters to beat the ball into the ground, opponents have a .256 BABIP against him, which is likely due for some sort of regression, especially with the amount of balls in play he allows.

Regardless, Richard has grown quite a bit since he was sent to San Diego at the deadline in 2009 -- the main key has simply been a drastic reduction in walks allowed. And that there is some familiarity between him and Don Cooper could wind up being a positive if he were to return to Chicago.

There's still plenty of time between now and the trade deadline. Maybe the White Sox surprise everyone and make a blockbuster deal for a starter. But if they are indeed looking for rotation help, trying to add their old friend in Richard may make more sense.

QUOTE (Sockin @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 11:00 AM)
Has anyone posted about this? Missed it a couple days ago.

@jnorris427

Heard from a source that ‪#WhiteSox‬ are definitely "zeroing in" on ‪#Yankees‬ Betances.

https://twitter.com/jnorris427/status/225000416818118659

It's been mentioned, but really, what does it mean to the 2012 Sox? I don't understand why he's such a target at this point other than they like him for 2013 and beyond.

QUOTE (Sockin @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 11:00 AM)
Has anyone posted about this? Missed it a couple days ago.

@jnorris427

Heard from a source that ‪#WhiteSox‬ are definitely "zeroing in" on ‪#Yankees‬ Betances.

https://twitter.com/jnorris427/status/225000416818118659

Betances' walk numbers are scary as hell. If the Sox are after him, I hope they see something they think they can fix.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 11:51 AM)
The insults will be dealt with. And you will note I did not single you out, I said to drop it, you and everyone else.

This. Which is why I asked for the discussion to be dropped, and not for the individuals involved to stop posting. It was a general statement, not a specific one.

•Agent Scott Boras said Stephen Strasburg the pitcher is worth $30MM per season “in free agent value.” Ostensibly, Boras was commenting on the Nationals’ decision to cap the right-hander’s innings, but it’s interesting to see how Boras values Strasburg. In case you’re wondering, the Nationals control his rights through 2016.