Trade Deadline Top Pitching Targets

shago

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 12:06 PM)
I heard the Phillies might trade Doc or Lee, so they can sign Hamels to a extension.

I seem to remember the Sox trying to get Halladay from Toronto, and he didn't want to come here. Does that ring a bell to anyone else?

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 11:24 AM)
I seem to remember the Sox trying to get Halladay from Toronto, and he didn't want to come here. Does that ring a bell to anyone else?

Halladay is scaring coming off an injury.

Flashback to Peavy, although that was a pitcher who was literally injured when we acquired him.

And labrum injuries are always scary. Those are much harder than TJ to come back from.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 12:24 PM)
I just read this. I would do it but I would hope Greinke could be resigned.

He's already turned down something between $100-112.5 million for 5 years.

With the Danks contract for 4 more years and Peavy off the books finally, it would be the ultimate shocker.

Especially with how they've gotten by with Humber and Quintana the last 2 years.

Volquez pitched another good game tonight. He's the one I want. He probably can had for the cheapest amount and is under contract for another year. Why give up a bunch of talent for 2 months of Grienke when you can probably get similar results for less with Volquez? Plus, you'd be set in the rotation for next year(assuming options are picked up and health is ok) as well with the likes of Danks, Sale, Volquez, Floyd, Peavy, Quintana, and even Humber could be around.

If you use Floyd in a trade for Greinke, and then Greinke leaves, you have Danks, Sale, Peavy, Quintana, and Humber next year. That doesn't sound nearly as good to me.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 11:41 PM)
Volquez pitched another good game tonight. He's the one I want. He probably can had for the cheapest amount and is under contract for another year. Why give up a bunch of talent for 2 months of Grienke when you can probably get similar results for less with Volquez? Plus, you'd be set in the rotation for next year(assuming options are picked up and health is ok) as well with the likes of Danks, Sale, Volquez, Floyd, Peavy, Quintana, and even Humber could be around.

If you use Floyd in a trade for Greinke, and then Greinke leaves, you have Danks, Sale, Peavy, Quintana, and Humber next year. That doesn't sound nearly as good to me.

And the odds of Peavy being around next year are 25% at best.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 01:49 AM)
It's been mentioned somewhere today (sorry too many threads) that Padres are not shopping Volquez as will rather build around him. FWIW.

I didn't see that. I wish there was a possible way to pry Felix from Seattle.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 06:01 AM)
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS

cole hamels & phillies have reached agreement on 6-year deal for about $140 million.

So i guess this means the rangers are really going to be going after greinke now that hamels isnt available. Its fine, lets get johnson :headbang

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 04:04 AM)
And the odds of Peavy being around next year are 25% at best.

If they do move Floyd, which again seems extremely unlikely at least this season, they could use that money to help resign (or pick up the option) on Peavy. Personally, I'm not sure how the White Sox would be able to replace him in the rotation, and he'd be on another one year deal so if he wants another payday, he'd have to stay healthy again next season so the Sox would get 2 seasons of him pitching on a 1 year deal. If they move Floyd in the off-season for a decent minor league prospect, they then have something like $9 of the $22 million they would need for Peavy. Combine with and Sale, possibly Quintana if he keeps it up, and that top 3 is looking pretty good again. Of course, the bottom of the rotation would have to get fixed.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 05:39 AM)
If they do move Floyd, which again seems extremely unlikely at least this season, they could use that money to help resign (or pick up the option) on Peavy. Personally, I'm not sure how the White Sox would be able to replace him in the rotation, and he'd be on another one year deal so if he wants another payday, he'd have to stay healthy again next season so the Sox would get 2 seasons of him pitching on a 1 year deal. If they move Floyd in the off-season for a decent minor league prospect, they then have something like $9 of the $22 million they would need for Peavy. Combine with and Sale, possibly Quintana if he keeps it up, and that top 3 is looking pretty good again. Of course, the bottom of the rotation would have to get fixed.

Which is exactly why he's much more likely to want to take guaranteed money over a 2-3-4 year contract.

I just wouldn't give him anything longer than 2, and someone, someone else will in all likelihood.

He might get something like $22-28 million over 2 years. It's a tough situation for both sides, as I think he wants to stay, but we definitely don't want to overpay like we did on this last contract, despite the insurance subsidy.

And that Hamels deal just set the bar a little bit higher for Greinke, so there's just no way he's not going to test the market first in the off-season.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 06:39 AM)

I'd personally rather spend Floyd's $9 million on Youkilis's option, but that's just me. Losing Peavy sucks, but we'd be getting back Danks.

QUOTE (Wedge @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 07:51 AM)
I'd personally rather spend Floyd's $9 million on Youkilis's option, but that's just me. Losing Peavy sucks, but we'd be getting back Danks.

I don't see why we couldn't bring back bother if we bump up the payroll a little and replace Floyd with a cheap, internal option like Castro.

I'd be happy with a rotation of Sale, Peavy, Danks, Quintana, and Castro next year. From a payroll perspective, it can't be that much more than what we're paying our staff now, even with Danks' raise.

Obviously the tricky part would then be fitting Youkilis in the budget, especially with AJ an unknown. If I had to, I'd trade Thornton to a team like the Yankees to clear his salary. I think it can be done with some maneuvering, but we'd definitely need to increase payroll by $10 million or so.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 09:05 AM)
I don't see why we couldn't bring back bother if we bump up the payroll a little and replace Floyd with a cheap, internal option like Castro.

I'd be happy with a rotation of Sale, Peavy, Danks, Quintana, and Castro next year. From a payroll perspective, it can't be that much more than what we're paying our staff now, even with Danks' raise.

Obviously the tricky part would then be fitting Youkilis in the budget, especially with AJ an unknown. If I had to, I'd trade Thornton to a team like the Yankees to clear his salary. I think it can be done with some maneuvering, but we'd definitely need to increase payroll by $10 million or so.

This idea sounds possible to me, but it'd depend on the second half of this season. If we're not incredibly close to the postseason, I don't think it makes sense to pour all that money into 1-year options.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 08:41 AM)
Johnson's price just went up a ton.

yea just saw this on mlbrumors:

>The Rangers are one of the teams actively pursuing Johnson, Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports. They'd be willing to trade top prospect Mike Olt for Johnson, Nightengale writes.

>There’s a 50-50 chance the Marlins move Johnson, MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro reports (on Twitter). The Marlins are holding out for a great offer.

>There should be a “feeding frenzy” for Johnson, an executive tells Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com (on Twitter).

nevermind lol so who is kw's target/options then? just greinke?

RHP Kevin Correia would benefit from change of scenery, so #Pirates are seeking trade partner who wants pitching. Correia was moved to bullpen to make room in rotation for Wandy Rodriguez. "I'm not happy about it," said Correia (8-6, 4.24). Pirates shopped Correia earlier this season. Angels might be interested, which would be OK for Cali native Correia. "Starting pitching is what I want to do," Correia said. "I think that's best how I help the team."

less than a minute ago

See more posts on Pittsburgh Pirates by other experts >

Recent posts by Rob Biertempfel

Rob Biertempfel

#Pirates OF Starling Marte called his 1st-pitch HR tonite. Well, sort of. "Before the game, I told somebody in the dugout that if (LHP Dallas Keuchel) threw a fastball over the middle, I'd take a hack at it," Marte said. "That's exactly what I did." The ball flew over the LF wall. Keuchel was stunned: "I figured he would take a strike just to see what I got. I never thought he would hit a home run on the first pitch of the game. That's a career first for me."

Rob Biertempfel

OK, one more quick #Pirates OF Starling Marte story ... Marte's mother died when he was 10 years old, so he was raised by his grandmother. She was the first one he called about his promotion to majors. "She was pretty proud. She was crying," Marte said. "Then I started calling friends, girlfriends and everybody else." Um ... girlfriends -- as in, more than one? "Well ... he's an honest kid," coach (and translator) Luis Silverio said, laughing.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 11:27 AM)
@davandyck: Matt Garza MRI shows fluid, not expected to pitch until after trade deadline”

Looks like Matt Garza is off the trading block for now. Dammit I wanted the Braves to get him so they would be out of the Greinke sweepstakes.

Does KW try and get him for cheap? Seems like a KW type of move to me.

QUOTE (TheCut87 @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 01:58 PM)
Does KW try and get him for cheap? Seems like a KW type of move to me.

He is under team control for another year, so it would be pretty close to impossible to get him through the lower teams on waivers...

On the other hand, they might be scared off by the injury risk or not have the money to pay Garza next year. Interesting situation for many teams like the A's, Rays, Orioles, Indians, etc.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 03:00 PM)
He is under team control for another year, so it would be pretty close to impossible to get him through the lower teams on waivers...

On the other hand, they might be scared off by the injury risk or not have the money to pay Garza next year. Interesting situation for many teams like the A's, Rays, Orioles, Indians, etc.

I was talking about taking a chance on him before the trade deadline ends i think if he is dealt it will be before the tuesday not during waiver period...if it is just fluid build up and the MRI was good to go, would KW trade for him now hoping this issue goes away in a week or two now knowing that he can get him possibly cheaper

QUOTE (TheCut87 @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 02:05 PM)
I was talking about taking a chance on him before the trade deadline ends i think if he is dealt it will be before the tuesday not during waiver period...if it is just fluid build up and the MRI was good to go, would KW trade for him now hoping this issue goes away in a week or two now knowing that he can get him possibly cheaper

If I was KW, I'd be talking to people with the Twins and D-Backs organizations and finding everything I could about Garza's supposed character issues.

Might be a non-starter, might actually be an AJ or Everett situation where he fits in.