Trade Deadline Top Pitching Targets

shago

QUOTE (TheCut87 @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 03:05 PM)
I was talking about taking a chance on him before the trade deadline ends i think if he is dealt it will be before the tuesday not during waiver period...if it is just fluid build up and the MRI was good to go, would KW trade for him now hoping this issue goes away in a week or two now knowing that he can get him possibly cheaper

That's a good idea. Worth looking into, but I doubt Theo will let him go for cheap considering he can just wait until the off-season. Also, probably bad PR to get trade raped by the opposing Chicago team at your first deadline.

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 04:07 PM)
154-house-do-not-want.jpg

Zambrano has not been good of late but I figure we can Zambrano proof our dugout allow Z to pinch hit on occasion and let Coop fix him. I still think he could make some strong starts. I read that the marlins need a catcher. Perhaps with Aj calling his games he may settle down. Nothing would make me happier than to see an ex cub do well here or anywhere for that matter.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 12:18 AM)
I wonder if they've started manufacturing White Sox Dempster jerseys yet.

I am honestly surprised we weren't #2 on his list after the Dodgers. He gets to stay in the city, doesn't have to move, and goes to a 1st place team. I'm not sure if he really dislikes the Sox, or if he just really prefers to stay in the National League, but either way, it's only 2+ months out of his life he has to be here, you'd think for 8-12 weeks he would just suck it up.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 05:20 AM)
I'd consider:

Reed, Santiago, Sanchez

to MIA for

Johnson, Bell

JR won't want to take on Bell's horrible contract. We've never done this, that I can remember.

Sanchez isn't needed, they'll move Bonifacio to 2B supposedly.

Santiago and Reed still aren't going to be enough of a return for a pitcher like Johnson, even if you consider the roughly $20 million they're saving on Heath Bell.

Maybe if at least half that money was coming from the Marlins for Bell...but then we'd have to kick in much better players.

I think the prices for Johnson/Shields are too high for the production they are going to give and because of that I can see KW not adding a SP b4 the deadline unless the Cubs almost give away Dempster similar to our other 2 trades barring the ptbnl is any good in Myers trade.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 07:47 AM)
I'd like to see the Sox get Vargas & League or Volquez & Street.

Also I would like to add depth to our bench.

Volquez is not available, supposedly.

It's a bit of overkill to acquire League or Street when we already have Reed, Myers and Crain. Not to mention the fact that it looks like Street might stay put.

Vargas is a possibility.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 03:07 PM)
If I was KW, I'd be talking to people with the Twins and D-Backs organizations and finding everything I could about Garza's supposed character issues.

Might be a non-starter, might actually be an AJ or Everett situation where he fits in.

:huh:

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 08:15 AM)

It's a bit of overkill to acquire League or Street when we already have Reed, Myers and Crain. Not to mention the fact that it looks like Street might stay put.

Vargas is a possibility.

Honestly, I'd rather take my chances with Humber than give up anything for Vargas. His road/home splits are pretty extreme and I don't think making half his starts at the Cell would do him any favors

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 08:34 AM)
Honestly, I'd rather take my chances with Humber than give up anything for Vargas. His road/home splits are pretty extreme and I don't think making half his starts at the Cell would do him any favors

Away from Safeco, Vargas is brutal. .806 OPS against, 19 HR allowed. If they got him for nothing, that would be one thing, but to give up anything that might be decent someday for him would be a mistake IMO.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 12:22 AM)
Got the scoop?

Nah no scoop, it just makes too much sense. It seems like the Dodgers are set on not giving up anything significant for Dempster since the Atlanta thing blew up in the Cubs face. I think KW could outbid them without giving up too much at all.

Plus it's only for a few months, and it's to a team in the hunt. Dempster wouldn't have to move his family either. He might look at this as testing the American League.

Makes too much sense.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 06:08 AM)
JR won't want to take on Bell's horrible contract. We've never done this, that I can remember.

Sanchez isn't needed, they'll move Bonifacio to 2B supposedly.

Santiago and Reed still aren't going to be enough of a return for a pitcher like Johnson, even if you consider the roughly $20 million they're saving on Heath Bell.

Maybe if at least half that money was coming from the Marlins for Bell...but then we'd have to kick in much better players.

So replace Santiago with Quintana. Bell has had a nightmare season but just a year ago he was damn good. Sox could have a lot of money coming off the books. And Johnson comes with his own risks as well. Obviously Sanchez is for future considerations.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 09:19 AM)
So replace Santiago with Quintana. Bell has had a nightmare season but just a year ago he was damn good. Sox could have a lot of money coming off the books. And Johnson comes with his own risks as well. Obviously Sanchez is for future considerations.

Still think it would take Viciedo to get Johnson.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 08:15 AM)

Vargas is a possibility.

I was rooting for Vargas...but then I saw his home run rate...not a match for us.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 08:34 AM)

All Vargas would have to do is not be a headcase for about 10-15 more starts, whatever it is that is left out of that spot.

If Humber sucks today then it's Battle Axe time anyway. Major league arm or not, at least he's not on Queer St. mentally.