Where'd Reed's Closer's "Stuff" Go?

Marty34

Have to say that I've been disappointed with Reed's velocity really since he came up last September, but certainly for most of this year. Was he really hitting 97 regularly in the minors? His stuff just looks flat more often than not, to the point where I think he should be considered as trade material under the right circumstance.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 08:21 AM)
Have to say that I've been disappointed with Reed's velocity really since he came up last September, but certainly for most of this year. Was he really hitting 97 regularly in the minors? His stuff just looks flat more often than not, to the point where I think he should be considered as trade material under the right circumstance.

He can really locate a 95mph fastball when needs to but the lack of offspeed stuff has been getting him in trouble this year.

Reed is fine. What is not okay is having AAA Charlotte's bullpen out there. They need to get one veteran arm if we want to really contend for the division, pennant or whatever the team's realistic goal is.

Edited by MuckFinnesota

The jury's still out on Reed and the entire bullpen...

So far, we're surviving, some might say thriving, and gaining needed experience.

Jones has GOT to learn how to throw that slider more consistently for strikes. He destroyed Perez with it, but then fed a fastball right across the heart of the plate to Escobar.

The ball that B. Pena hit to Rios in RF would have gone right through the wall had it continued carrying, ala Pete Incaviglia. He smoked it, we just got lucky.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 08:21 AM)

Do you still want to trade Alexei Ramirez and Viciedo?

Thought not.

Experience is what you get when you don't want it. But, with these rookies this is the way the learn. They do step up and not panic for the most part. If we get Crain back it should help but an experieced and effective vet closer might not hurt. Not saying I am just saying...

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 10:37 AM)
Do you still want to trade Alexei Ramirez and Viciedo?

Thought not.

Why would I change my opinion on that? You're real good at pointing out how silly my trade ideas are when one of the guys gets a big hit or is hot, but wow you're silence is deafening when they aren't playing well. You're the same guy who had the Sox contending before spring training and buried after the Tigers started 7-2 or whatever it was. For one who points fingers, you're just as wrong as anyone else.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 10:43 AM)
Where did Jordan Danks' defensive prowess go?

That was a really really tough ball he dropped out there....seemed he had it in his glove and then dropped it when he made contact with the ball.

And he's not a natural LFer, so he's playing out of his normal position where he has the most experience.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 10:46 AM)
That was a really really tough ball he dropped out there....seemed he had it in his glove and then dropped it when he made contact with the ball.

And he's not a natural LFer, so he's playing out of his normal position where he has the most experience.

He dropped it before he made contact with the wall. And he certainly is not a natural LFer, judging by the way he has played there for the Sox so far this season.

It was not an easy play, but anyone who is supposed to be one of the better defensive outfielders makes that catch.

SEVEN Rookie arms pitched out of the bullpen last night. Eight rookie pitchers if counting Quintana. That's gotta be a record if anyone can confirm.

Even when the team is healthy, we only have two veteran pitchers on the team in Thornton and Crain. I will be shocked if KW doesn't get a veteran arm by the trade deadline or waver deadline.

Who would have thought coming into the season that one of the most important pieces COULD have been the "good" Jason Frasor?

Hard to fault KW, he sucked with us last year and another high salary wasn't in the payroll plans.

But we could use that type of veteran pitcher now, definitely.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 10:57 AM)
http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/p...nded/order/true

White Sox now first in the American League with 14 blown saves (overall) and tied for 2nd in all of MLB.

That statistic is unlikely to change with such an inexperienced pen in the heat of a pennant race.

Yet are tied for the 4th best record in baseball. Pretty impressive.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 10:20 AM)
Yet are tied for the 4th best record in baseball. Pretty impressive.

And still have one of the better road records in baseball at 8 games over...

Finally starting to win some extra inning and one run games with more frequency.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 10:57 AM)
http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/p...nded/order/true

White Sox now first in the American League with 14 blown saves (overall) and tied for 2nd in all of MLB.

That statistic is unlikely to change with such an inexperienced pen in the heat of a pennant race.

That deserves some sort of special award for twisting stats to try and make a point...

9 of those 14 blown saves were the responsibility of veteran pitchers (Thornton, Crain, Ohman, and Sale).

Meanwhile, Reed has 13 saves in 15 opportunities.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 11:18 AM)
Who would have thought coming into the season that one of the most important pieces COULD have been the "good" Jason Frasor?

Hard to fault KW, he sucked with us last year and another high salary wasn't in the payroll plans.

But we could use that type of veteran pitcher now, definitely.

maybe kw can get him again, i doubt hed cost much. and alsoa more proven closer like street,etc.

street

crain

thornton

reed

frasor

jones

sanitago

sounds good to me lol i know,wed proably have to trade reed or jones

I'm pretty sure Reed is this team's closer regardless of acquisitions at this point. As a friggin reliever he was in the top 100 prospect lists and such. Let the guy get some experience before we ask where his stuff is lol.

Also, isn't one of Don Cooper's trademarks to have guys drop some velocity for more control? You can fling a wild 97 at a minor leaguer and they'll swing at it, but ML hitters won't go for that.

Edited by Knackattack

I don't see how anyone who has seen Reed pitch this year can say he is fine as a closer for a team that is trying to win something. His stuff hasn't been as advertised. Where is the slider? Maybe this is another case to be cautious about relievers with dominant sliders.

Even if we got Street, Reed would have plenty of opportunities for quality innings. I wish I knew what Street would cost us. If he would do well, we might re-sign him or get a second round compensation draft pick for him.