Dempster to Rangers

SOXOBAMA

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11:05pm: The Cubs are asking the Dodgers for minor league pitcher Allen Webster as the centerpiece of a Dempster trade, reports Morosi (Twitter link).

6:55pm: It's possible that the Dodgers could acquire Dempster from the Cubs without having to surrender Lee, a source tells Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com (Twitter link).

5:34pm: The Dodgers are holding out on including pitching prospect Zach Lee in a potential Dempster trade, sources tell Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com (Twitter link).

4:20pm: The Cubs are talking to the Dodgers about Dempster again, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 11:25 PM)
11:05pm: The Cubs are asking the Dodgers for minor league pitcher Allen Webster as the centerpiece of a Dempster trade, reports Morosi (Twitter link).

6:55pm: It's possible that the Dodgers could acquire Dempster from the Cubs without having to surrender Lee, a source tells Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com (Twitter link).

5:34pm: The Dodgers are holding out on including pitching prospect Zach Lee in a potential Dempster trade, sources tell Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com (Twitter link).

4:20pm: The Cubs are talking to the Dodgers about Dempster again, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports.

Webster is a pretty good prospect with a nice sinker. Would be a good return for Cubs. I thought they'd be lucky to get a Chris Reed type.

Here's the latest on Dempster: (per MLB Trade Rumors)

The Cubs now plan to keep Dempster and make him a qualifying offer after the season, ESPN.com's Buster Olney tweets. Doing so would allow the Cubs to collect a compensatory draft pick in 2013.

The Dodgers have Zack Greinke and Josh Johnson on their list in case they don't trade for Greinke, Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports tweets.

Braves GM Frank Wren said on 680-AM The Fan in Atlanta that he's "moving on" from Dempster. "I think it's very highly unlikely," Wren said (via ESPNChicago.com). Once the Braves heard Dempster would prefer to play for the Dodgers, they moved on. Wren said the Braves continue pursuing starting pitchers.

The Dodgers have the upper hand in talks with the Cubs, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com tweets.

The Dodgers are feeling increasingly confident that they can work out a deal for Dempster, ESPN.com's Buster Olney tweets. The Cubs don't have many alternatives given Dempster's interest in playing for L.A. and his no-trade protection.

A trade between the Dodgers and Cubs still seems “realistic,” Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports tweets.

The Dodgers still intend to add a starting pitcher, Scott Miller of CBSSports.com tweets.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 11:43 PM)
Webster is a pretty good prospect with a nice sinker. Would be a good return for Cubs. I thought they'd be lucky to get a Chris Reed type.

Looks like the market for him has shrunk due to him rejecting a trade to the Braves. The Cubs have to be pissed to miss out on Delgado, he would have been a huge win for them. The Dodgers are playing this just right know Dempster wants LA and aren't going to give up anything big. They probably still get this done IMO jus a little hard ball. But....

I think this also sets up for potentially KW to put a call out there and float the idea of pitching on the South side of Chicago, and not have to give up anything significant. I do not see the Cubs keeping him.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 10:49 AM)
Here's the latest on Dempster: (per MLB Trade Rumors)

The Cubs now plan to keep Dempster and make him a qualifying offer after the season, ESPN.com's Buster Olney tweets. Doing so would allow the Cubs to collect a compensatory draft pick in 2013.

The Dodgers have Zack Greinke and Josh Johnson on their list in case they don't trade for Greinke, Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports tweets.

Braves GM Frank Wren said on 680-AM The Fan in Atlanta that he's "moving on" from Dempster. "I think it's very highly unlikely," Wren said (via ESPNChicago.com). Once the Braves heard Dempster would prefer to play for the Dodgers, they moved on. Wren said the Braves continue pursuing starting pitchers.

The Dodgers have the upper hand in talks with the Cubs, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com tweets.

The Dodgers are feeling increasingly confident that they can work out a deal for Dempster, ESPN.com's Buster Olney tweets. The Cubs don't have many alternatives given Dempster's interest in playing for L.A. and his no-trade protection.

A trade between the Dodgers and Cubs still seems “realistic,” Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports tweets.

The Dodgers still intend to add a starting pitcher, Scott Miller of CBSSports.com tweets.

Wait a second... I thought the new rules with free agents were that you don't get a pick if they leave, even if you make an offer. Did I miss something?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 12:55 PM)
Wait a second... I thought the new rules with free agents were that you don't get a pick if they leave, even if you make an offer. Did I miss something?

you have offer something like 12.5mil for one year, atleast, and then you can get the pick, i believe

here it is: the team must offer the free agent a one-year contract worth the average of the 125 highest salaries. If that free agent signs with another team, the other team will give up its first-round pick

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 12:55 PM)

That is only if the guy is traded in the last year of his deal. If it is your own free agent, you can still get comp.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 01:02 PM)
That is only if the guy is traded in the last year of his deal. If it is your own free agent, you can still get comp.

Then the rule didn't change. Because that was always the rule - you have a guy go free agent at end of contract, you make an offer, he turns it down, you get a pick. What has changed?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 01:04 PM)
Then the rule didn't change. Because that was always the rule - you have a guy go free agent at end of contract, you make an offer, he turns it down, you get a pick. What has changed?

Free agent compensation

For the 2012 draft, the current "Type A" and "Type B" designations remain in place, but the CBA included special provisions that modified the statuses of 11 players who were Type A free agents under the old CBA. Six of these will be "Modified Type A"—meaning that the signing team does not forfeit a draft pick, but the player's former team will receive a compensatory pick in the same position it would have earned under regular Type A rules. The remaining five will be "Modified Type B", with compensation identical to that for other Type B free agents.[28]

After the 2012 draft, free agents will no longer be classified by "type". Instead, a team will only be able to receive compensation if it makes its former player an offer at least equal to the average of the 125 richest contracts.[29] However, if a player is traded during the final season of his contract, his new team will be ineligible to receive any compensation

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 01:04 PM)

If a guy in the last year of his deal gets dealt to another team, they do NOT get a pick even if they offer arbitration. That is what has changed. So for example, if the Sox were to make an offer of arbit at the end of this year, and he turns them down, the Sox would get a pick (in theory if he were amongst the top catchers etc). If the Sox were to trade AJ somewhere else in the next week, that team would NOT get a pick if they offered arbit.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 01:07 PM)
If a guy in the last year of his deal gets dealt to another team, they do NOT get a pick even if they offer arbitration. That is what has changed. So for example, if the Sox were to make an offer of arbit at the end of this year, and he turns them down, the Sox would get a pick (in theory if he were amongst the top catchers etc). If the Sox were to trade AJ somewhere else in the next week, that team would NOT get a pick if they offered arbit.

isnt also the amount of money offered? meaning for example(in the past) if a.j. was making 5mil , u would offer 7mil , which he would turn down, but you still get the pick. now, even though if aj is making 5mil, you have to offer about 12mil ?

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 01:10 PM)
isnt also the amount of money offered? meaning for example(in the past) if a.j. was making 5mil , u would offer 7mil , which he would turn down, but you still get the pick. now, even though if aj is making 5mil, you have to offer about 12mil ?

Sounds like it is both, based on what you posted earlier. Team he gets traded TO, gets nothing either way. If you keep him full year and he becomes a free agent, AND if you make him an offer that is among the 125 highest in baseball at the time (so, top 10% or so), AND if the player turns it down, THEN you get a pick.

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi

Ryan Dempster lost today but turned in a quality start (6 IP, 3 ER) and maintained his trade value.

The over-analysis of a guys trade value based on individual performances at this point is f***ing ridiculous.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 09:33 AM)
With the Cubs getting pretty desperate, I'm starting to wonder if KW is on the phone with Theo today. Maybe not Dempster, but, who knows.

If I were Kenny, I'd call Dempster first (well obviously not without the Cubs knowing, because that would be tampering). No point in talking to Theo if Ryan isn't on board. Then Jake Peavy could put the full court press on him, as someone who has been in his situation.

That Top 125 number is supposedly right around $12.5 million.

The only one on our team we'd offer that is Peavy, possibly. But it's moot, since we will decline his option and buy him out.

It remains to be seen what they'll do with Youkilis. Hard to imagine going back to Brent Morel (or trusting him) after how Youk has performed, but still a LONG way to go.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 12:03 PM)
He used to be a cuBS fan favorite. But now Dempster is turning into a Dumpster. haha@ Lovin' it.

If he wants to stay in Chicago maybe White Sox can get him for Rey Olmedo.

tommorow is the deadline. If he comes to the sox I'll get a Dumster jersey.