Dempster to Rangers

SOXOBAMA

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 11:57 AM)
i was listening to the score and they said hes going through a divorce , wonder if that has affected anything;where he wants to go

Maybe. His daughter has an illness also if I remember. Maybe likes the doctors or medical care here. Cannot see why else he wouldn't jump on these deals to try to win a ring. Pretty much 24-25 hours until trading deadline.

Edited by sunofgold

3 years team control over Humber is good value for a team not planning on extending the QO, especially when the player is holding up deals with his 10-5 rights and the Dodgers are lowballing the Cubs. I'd offer that, or maybe expand it to include a lefty and/or a utility player. Dumpster > Humber might net us an extra 1-2 wins over the season, plus give us another, more dependable arm to pick from when (not if) we get to the playoffs.

That said, it's been on the radio that Dumpster doesn't want to come here. That's pretty dumb if true, but whatever.

Edit: I like Santiago, but I think his future is going to be as a starter and he's probably out of the picture here. I'd stick Humber + Santiago out there and see what Theo thinks as far as the framework for a Dempster deal, with maybe another piece coming back too.

I'd even go so far as to offer something a little better for Soriano and a bunch of money back. Assuming we could get pretty much his entire contract eaten in the deal, I'd surrender one of our questionmarked young OFs in exchange for a 4th OF/secret weapon PH/extra DH when PK or Dunn needs the day off. He's an AL player anyway. Not sure that's very realistic though as the Cubs probably want a nicer prospect if they're going to be eating so much cash.

Edited by The Ultimate Champion

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 12:04 PM)
3 years team control over Humber is good value for a team not planning on extending the QO, especially when the player is holding up deals with his 10-5 rights and the Dodgers are lowballing the Cubs. I'd offer that, or maybe expand it to include a lefty and/or a utility player. Dumpster > Humber might net us an extra 1-2 wins over the season, plus give us another, more dependable arm to pick from when (not if) we get to the playoffs.

That said, it's been on the radio that Dumpster doesn't want to come here. That's pretty dumb if true, but whatever.

Edit: I like Santiago, but I think his future is going to be as a starter and he's probably out of the picture here. I'd stick Humber + Santiago out there and see what Theo thinks as far as the framework for a Dempster deal, with maybe another piece coming back too.

I'd even go so far as to offer something a little better for Soriano and a bunch of money back. Assuming we could get pretty much his entire contract eaten in the deal, I'd surrender one of our questionmarked young OFs in exchange for a 4th OF/secret weapon PH/extra DH when PK or Dunn needs the day off. He's an AL player anyway. Not sure that's very realistic though as the Cubs probably want a nicer prospect if they're going to be eating so much cash.

Are we 100% sure that Dempster wouldn't be coming here. He could just be saying the 'politically correct' thing to say while being a northslider. And if Dempster isn't happy with northslider management, then maybe he would be more inclined to come here. Could always make a three team trade if that would work better. If the little bears are looking for something that we don't have right now.

Edited by sunofgold

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 01:56 PM)
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal

Source: #Cubs "trying to bend over backwards" to get Dempster to #Dodgers, his desired team. Talks continue.

Oh man, Demspter may have REALLY screwed them over.

Maybe the Sox should try to get back into talks with the Cubs. At this point I am sure they can give them a better deal than LA? Humber and a low-A pitcher. Get it done! :headbang

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 02:16 PM)
Maybe the Sox should try to get back into talks with the Cubs. At this point I am sure they can give them a better deal than LA? Humber and a low-A pitcher. Get it done! :headbang

It would get easier for KW if Dodgers find a different starter. Then where else would dempster go?

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 02:20 PM)
It would get easier for KW if Dodgers find a different starter. Then where else would dempster go?

very true... it would be sweet if LA can land Cliff Lee somehow, keeping him out of the AL and putting the Cubs an a desperate situation.

i was listening to the score and they said hes going through a divorce , wonder if that has affected anything;where he wants to go

I had heard he was going through some "personal issues" and figured it was because of his sick child.

What scumbag Score guy brought the divorce thing up? I guess that fills in the blanks. I'm willing to bet it was McNeil or Lawrence Holmes.

Kevin Goldstein ‏@Kevin_Goldstein

Heard that Zach Lee, Allen Webster and Chris Reed are all off the table in any Dempster talks.

Dempster is just butt-pumping the Cubs now....

Those 3 top arms for the Dodgers were ranked their #1, #2, and #5 prospects pre-season. Could have had Randall Delgado, now they are going to get stuck with Josh Lindblom.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (Brian26 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 02:26 PM)
I had heard he was going through some "personal issues" and figured it was because of his sick child.

What scumbag Score guy brought the divorce thing up? I guess that fills in the blanks. I'm willing to bet it was McNeil or Lawrence Holmes.

Its public record. I don't know why it makes them scum.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 01:15 PM)
Are we 100% sure that Dempster wouldn't be coming here. He could just be saying the 'politically correct' thing to say while being a northslider. And if Dempster isn't happy with northslider management, then maybe he would be more inclined to come here. Could always make a three team trade if that would work better. If the little bears are looking for something that we don't have right now.

Northsliders? I chuckled.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 08:52 PM)
Don't want him.

Dodgers are going to get him for a steal.

cubs are almost better off holding onto him, offering him a one-year tender in the offseason, then hoping he turns them down and picking up a pick. of course, he could take the tender and then they'll be in the same position next year.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 03:11 PM)
If we cannot get the Dumpster, then I want to see him NOT get traded. Then what? Couldn't the cuBS just release him? And then he could just decide not to pitch the rest of the year or chose where to pitch for the rest of this year.

He could be claimed in August, not sure if the 10/5 rights apply to waiver claims. Then the Cubs would at least save some cash. Or they could work out a deal with him where they offer to qualifying offer and he rejects it so they could get a pick out of him. It's the least he could do since he's f***ing them over at the deadline

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 03:25 PM)
He could be claimed in August, not sure if the 10/5 rights apply to waiver claims. Then the Cubs would at least save some cash. Or they could work out a deal with him where they offer to qualifying offer and he rejects it so they could get a pick out of him. It's the least he could do since he's f***ing them over at the deadline

They'll get way more for him if they offer him arbitration and let him walk. They'll get a decent compensation pick for him.

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 02:55 PM)
cubs are almost better off holding onto him, offering him a one-year tender in the offseason, then hoping he turns them down and picking up a pick. of course, he could take the tender and then they'll be in the same position next year.

Actually, I believe due to the CBA changes and abolishment of the Type-A and Type-B rankings, the Cubs would get TWO early picks if they offer Demp arb and he signs elsewhere. They would get the pick from the team that signed him, and a supplemental pick. So essentially two 1st RD picks.

That's all assuming he doesn't accept arb though, and signs w/ a new team. Which if he really wants to come back, then that's all moot anyway.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 02:29 PM)
Actually, I believe due to the CBA changes and abolishment of the Type-A and Type-B rankings, the Cubs would get TWO early picks if they offer Demp arb and he signs elsewhere. They would get the pick from the team that signed him, and a supplemental pick. So essentially two 1st RD picks.

That's all assuming he doesn't accept arb though, and signs w/ a new team. Which if he really wants to come back, then that's all moot anyway.

Wouldn't that be risky for the chubbies? This dude might be crazy. He could just accept the arb. Just releasing him would eliminate that risk, wouldn't it? Pay him this year and not be on the hook anymore. Maybe get a little bit back if he signs with another team this year.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 02:37 PM)
How many starting pitchers do we need exactly?

I don't know. 6 or 7. Get Dempster for a couple sucky low level prospects with low ceilings, trade Floyd and Beckham for an upgrade at 2nd base. I think that could be a plan.