Dempster to Rangers

SOXOBAMA

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 02:06 PM)
You're f***ing crazy if you think they'd get Floyd, Viciedo, Quintana, and a prospect for 2 months of Greinke. That's about the same as was given up for Latos, who was under control for several seasons.

It's going to take 2 or 3 guys who have major league ability to get Greinke. Other teams will be offering 2 pretty good prospects - the White Sox will have to make things work from their major league roster. I don't have an issue with moving Quintana at his peak value because I think he's smoke and mirror's. Viciedo would have to be included, in most scenarios, for an impact player. Maybe those two get it done, but I think that's wishful thinking, but if you had read my post completely, I'm also assuming that the White Sox aren't giving up a big package of players for a 2 month rental - Greinke would have to be resigned for the White Sox to make such a bold move.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 11:15 AM)
Short term, yes. Humber is back. It doesn't sound like Floyd will be out long. Danks, no idea.

I really think that long-term we should be fine on starters, so if I can flip Floyd (plus others) for an upgrade like Greinke, I do it. One thing I still have to consider is whether I can resign these guys.

I really don't like the idea of mortgaging the future when long-term, we are still building up parts and getting younger is part of the reason the team has gotten here (albeit, the vets have came up huge this year as well). Plus, I'm sick of the payroll complaints and given current constraints, I don't want to deal 3 talented players who fit into our plans for a guy that leaves a year from now.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 07:44 PM)
It's going to be almost impossible to use Floyd as trade bait before the deadline with his injury (not that I think they would have traded him anyways).

Correct, it was probably unlikely to begin with. Perhaps if Williams needed to become extremely creative in getting a deal done, but he would have to come back quickly and show he's healthy. Again, though, extremely unlikely.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 08:18 PM)
Ill take a Peavy-Grienke-Sale-Q-Humber/Danks rotation over hit or miss Floyd in the rotation.

I don't know if that's your order if they made it to the playoffs or just their rotation in no order, but Sale is their starter in game 1 of the postseason, no doubt.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 12:20 PM)
Phil Rodgers thinks the Brewers want Floyd for Grienke. That still makes them a short a starter.

Phil Rodgers sucks.

Edited by soxfan49

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 12:40 AM)
Unless he starts to completely collapse at the end of season...

That is a distinct possibility and anyone who doesn't doubt Sale pitching 160+ is naive in my opinion.

I hope he pitches for 2,000 innings for us with a single major injury or set back but that's not too realistic.

Banking on Sale being an ace this year for he entire year and into the playoffs - also not too realistic.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 02:45 AM)
That is a distinct possibility and anyone who doesn't doubt Sale pitching 160+ is naive in my opinion.

I hope he pitches for 2,000 innings for us with a single major injury or set back but that's not too realistic.

Banking on Sale being an ace this year for he entire year and into the playoffs - also not too realistic.

I'm not saying it would be ideal for Sale pitching so many innings his first season starting after being in the bullpen, but I don't see them shutting him down and almost killing their chances in the playoffs either.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 02:45 AM)

The White Sox will continue giving him and Peavy extra rest when they can, probably as long as they can maintain a lead in the division.

Barring injury, he's probably going to surpass the innings you mentioned, but I don't think it means the Sox have been wreckless with him as i can imagine will be the charge if he does go down.

I also expect some regression on Sale - he hasn't thrown this many innings. I do believe he'll eventually show signs of wearing down though the hope will be the extra rest he has gotten this season will give him a 2nd wind if he does show signs of fatigue.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 12:54 AM)
I'm not saying it would be ideal for Sale pitching so many innings his first season starting after being in the bullpen, but I don't see them shutting him down and almost killing their chances in the playoffs either.

My point isn't in them just shutting him down as a preemptive precautionary move but rather that Sales arm doesn't hold up and he needs to be shut down.

I hope it doesn't happen and he may be fine...

I just wouldn't place all my eggs in that basket.

Newtons law, 'member?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 08:40 AM)
Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN

In the ever-changing trade landscape: The Dodgers and Cubs haven't found common ground in Dempster talks. Other teams being aggressive.

Hmmm I wonder who? Now that Boston is out and if LA and the Cubs cant find a common ground.. hmmm... are you guys thinking what im thinking?

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 08:50 AM)
Hmmm I wonder who? Now that Boston is out and if LA and the Cubs cant find a common ground.. hmmm... are you guys thinking what im thinking?

Braves were said to be pretty aggressive. Dempster doesnt want to leave the NL, and he has veto rights

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 08:55 AM)
Details. Kenny can be quite the salesman when he wants. Just ask Jake Peavy.

Yea but Peavy was getting paid no matter what. If Dempster leaves the NL, and totally gets lit up in the AL, he is affecting his paycheck next season and beyond.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 08:58 AM)
Yea but Peavy was getting paid no matter what. If Dempster leaves the NL, and totally gets lit up in the AL, he is affecting his paycheck next season and beyond.

Playing for the Sox would mean he gets to stay in Chicago near his family. And it sounds like he will be re-signing with the Cubs next year anyway for less money.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 09:11 AM)
Playing for the Sox would mean he gets to stay in Chicago near his family. And it sounds like he will be re-signing with the Cubs next year anyway for less money.

Seems to make sense for all sides. Cubs get a couple decent prospects. We get our rent-a-pitcher in attempt to help push us over the top. Ryan gets to stay in Chicago with his family. And once Ryan wears the black, he will never go back. ;)