Dempster to Rangers

SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jul 15, 2012 -> 09:05 AM)
Although Peavy, Chris Sale and Jose Quintana have formed a reliable threesome, the Sox continue to scout for starting pitching help.

Two sources said they have considered Twins left-hander Francisco Liriano and Brewers ace Zack Greinke, and the Brewers had a top scout at Saturday's game.

Among the other teams with representatives in attendance were the Marlins, Blue Jays and Astros.

But the Sox likely would have to surrender two solid prospects to land a marquee pitcher. And under new rules, teams that acquire players who become free agents aren't eligible for draft compensation if those picks sign elsewhere in 2012.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,6957878.story

Marlins might be Anibal Sanchez, the Astros, Wandy Rodriguez and Brett Myers....and the Blue Jays, no idea, maybe Frasor again. Can't imagine it would be Drabek or Cecil.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 15, 2012 -> 08:36 AM)
Gotta consider it. If he goes to free agency at end of year, we should be able to get draft pick for him, lessening the prospect price we pay for him. We should be able to identify 5-10 prospects on the no touch list and go from there. I imagine that Sox brass will have an idea if Mitchell can ever make it by now.

Didn't they eliminate the draft choice thing in the last CBA?

I'd still make a run at Dempster, draft choice or not.

Although Peavy, Chris Sale and Jose Quintana have formed a reliable threesome, the Sox continue to scout for starting pitching help.

Two sources said they have considered Twins left-hander Francisco Liriano and Brewers ace Zack Greinke, and the Brewers had a top scout at Saturday's game.

Among the other teams with representatives in attendance were the Marlins, Blue Jays and Astros.

But the Sox likely would have to surrender two solid prospects to land a marquee pitcher. And under new rules, teams that acquire players who become free agents aren't eligible for draft compensation if those picks sign elsewhere in 2012.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,6957878.story

Interesting ...are the Marlin's scouting the Sox or KC?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 15, 2012 -> 08:36 AM)
What is this "no to the cubs" nonsense? Dempster has a 1.86 era, and is currently working on a 33 inning scoreless streak. This trade is a no brainer if it happens

its just me hating the cubs i guess lol meaning it would be a good acquisition but i wouldnt want to give the cubs anyone of value(like jones) that would help them in the future. then dempster doesnt do to well or gets hurt or we lose him in free agency anyways and they have good players that we gave them

i wouldnt mind liriano but i just dont see the twins trading him to the sox

Edited by Melissa1334

its just me hating the cubs i guess lol meaning it would be a good acquisition but i wouldnt want to give the cubs anyone of value(like jones) that would help them in the future. then dempster doesnt do to well or gets hurt or we lose him in free agency anyways and they have good players that we gave them

i wouldnt mind liriano but i just dont see the twins trading him to the sox

The Twins did send Delmon Young to the Tigers last season, so it is possible

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 15, 2012 -> 08:40 AM)
Well, if you're the Cubs, u need two corner outfielders, assuming Jackson is the solution in CF.

So Mitchell would make sense, although playing in Wrigley, they undoubtedly need more power hitters like Rizzo and LaHair, and that's something Castro most assuredly is not.

Then again, Mitchell and DeJesus perhaps might be pretty comparable in the end..

Molina can't be traded since he's injured...and Castro would be a decent piece, but I still think they would ask for Jones, too.

It's not impossible that Mitchell and Castro would be enough, but from Theo's standpoint, I'd still want a better/healthy starting pitcher (from the minors), and we don't have one at the moment.

I would ask for Mitchell, Nathan Jones and Trayce Thompson and bargain from there.

i saw on mlbrumors that the cubs would want "young pitching" back for dempster

Another no on Dempster. You're going to overpay for this streak he is on and he is very likely to regress to his mean under your watch. How much more comfortable are you with Dempster facing the Yankees, Rangers, or Red Sox lineups in the postseason over Floyd or possibly Volquez? To me, the difference is not enough to justify the trade price. Liriano on the other hand is an intriguing name.

Edited by Marty34

Dempster would not be my first choice because he has never pitched in the American League, but this not trading with the Cubs crap is nonsense. I have never understood why it matters. Even trading in the division is a good idea if it's the right deal. If the deal gets you closer to a World Series title, you make it, regardless of who you are trading with.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 15, 2012 -> 10:54 AM)
With the changes in compensatory picks, I wonder how far the price of players at the deadline will fall, especially as less teams sit on players knowing they won't get anything for them at the end of the year.

Yep. I also can't see teams who do not have a shot at winning a division mortgaging their futures for a 1 game wild card playoff.

Ryan Dempster since returning to the rotation in 2008:

58-44, 3.61 ERA, 916 IP, 8.2 K/9, 3.3 BB/9, 1.29 WHIP

He may not be as good as his numbers this year suggest, but you don't get that kind of sustained excellence by being a terrible pitcher. I'd take him at the right price, for sure.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 15, 2012 -> 02:07 AM)
It would take more than Mitchell and Flowers at this point.

Mitchell is collapsing, and Flowers just isn't able to make contact with a fastball at all when he plays every 10-15 days.

OTOH, 10 HR's and 52 RBI's is very impressive for someone who plays 1/2 of his game at BIRM, although the .247 average needs to be at least in the .270's or maybe high .260's to look like progress.

Flowers? Why would anyone want him?

Chemistry plays a big role in bringing someone new into the Sox clubhouse, Dempster is one of the good guys off and on the field. I'd be happy to have him as part of the Sox organization..

Hopefully a deal for him or any other quality pitcher gets done soon.