manager: 5th in all time wins

cwsox

which one of the following named managers is 5th in total wins all time for the Sox?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. which one of the following named managers is 5th in total wins all time for the Sox?

• Fielder Jones
    • Paul Richards
    • Chuck Tanner
    • Kid Gleason
    • Clarence "Pants" Rowland
    • Nixwy Callahan
    • Jeff Torborg
    • Doug Rader
    • Clark Griffith
    • Jerry Manuel

Fielder Jones is 5th with 426 wins.

Jerry Manuel now has 477 wins and is 4th.

(JM started the year 5th with 414 wins then added 63 more wins so far this year.) (He still has a .512 won loss pct.)

1st Dykes 899

2nd Lopez 840

3rd LaRussa 522

PS: If you can't spell Nixey, just call him James or Jimmy Callahan.

(Nixwy won't do.)

the all time 4th winningest manager in WS history did not get those wns by being "terrible" or an "idiot" or any of the other overblown rhetorical thinsg tossed his way. For what he has done, he deserves our respect.

Now: if is he not accomplishing what he should with this team, debate that by all means, debate any way one wants really, my point is simply that the language on JM gets overdone dramatically to the point of overkill. I could be persuaded a change needs to be made after the season if he do not achieve - realism says a change will not be made now - but I would so welcome a calm, dispassionate, discussion on our manaher, does he have shortcomings (and they all do) and all they fatal to this team....

,,, with respect for a'' that he has given us a lot and KM deserves that repsect even if a change needs to be made at some point.

He also could have been the winning NBA Championship Coach if JR hired him for the Bulls in the 90's. JM has taken a good team and made them average. He has hung around for 6 seasons and that alone would move him a head of a lot of managers. Sorry, these polls don't cut it. Based on this logic we should never fire him. If he's #4 on the list don't fire him ever.

He also could have been the winning NBA Championship Coach if JR hired him for the Bulls in the 90's. JM has taken a good team and made them average.

:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

I have about this much -----> :finger respect for JM and his continuously predictable bulls***. Wanna see respect for a manager? Respect Pinella when he schools JM when the game is close. I don't respect any manager that lives and dies by the lefty/righty-righty/lefty match-up and/or the stat sheet instead of the heart and balls. And I don't respect any manager that cannot "manage" his team to a Division Championship in a Division that is horses***.

And if MLB players don't respect JM, why in the hell should we?

And what do these polls prove other than the White Sox have had some pretty s***ty managers during the teams history :huh: ? That's about the ONLY things these polls have proven.

1. He also could have been the winning NBA Championship Coach if JR hired him for the Bulls in the 90's.

2. JM has taken a good team and made them average.

1. you seriously suggesting that JM could have done what Phil Jackson did?

2. JM took over an inept team from Bevington and made them good.

Like it or not, Jerry has contibuted a lot to the Sox. Make the critiques, just make them fom a place where you may rationally convince someone else, if you wish to be effectve. If your desire is just to join the mindless "Jerry sucks" cacauphony, then, achieve that.

curious though that JM was here (thus far) less time than a lot of praised former managers and yet achieved more wins than a lot of them.

1. He also could have been the winning NBA Championship Coach if JR hired him for the Bulls in the 90's.

2. JM has taken a good team and made them average.

1. you seriously suggesting that JM could have done what Phil Jackson did?

2. JM took over an inept team from Bevington and made them good.

Like it or not, Jerry has contibuted a lot to the Sox. Make the critiques, just make them fom a place where you may rationally convince someone else, if you wish to be effectve. If your desire is just to join the mindless "Jerry sucks" cacauphony, then, achieve that.

curious though that JM was here (thus far) less time than a lot of praised former managers and yet achieved more wins than a lot of them.

He's also been given a heck of a lot more slack than other managers. Torborg was manager of the year, took a team a hell of a lot more brutal than the one JM took over and made them good. He wasn't canned but was told to seriously consider the Mets job. LaMont took over had 2 great teams, one bad one because Schueler thought Sabo and Kruk were good players and was canned, in what was the most unfair firing in White Sox history. Larry Himes builds a cheap contender and his draft results were great, wasn't offered a contract because JR didn't like him personally. When he was let go they used the same point A to point B to point C crap they used when Doug Collins got fired. Then Schueler becomes GM and JR says he can be the GM until he doesn't want to. Schueler takes over a 94 win team with one of the 3 lowest payrolls in baseball and never takes them to point c. My point is people have been let go by this organization who have done a heck of a lot more towards winning than Jerry Manuel. He's a nice guy, but his time is up. Hopefully the Sox will wake up from this last coma and win the World Series. If they don't, its time to clean house starting at the top, and for God sakes, bring in someone with experience.

I have never understood the firing of Lamont. It was wildly popular with the fans but it never made any sense whatsoever to me.

I also totally disagree that Torborg was shown the door. We wanted him, Torborg wanted out himself. Losing Torborg was sorely on Torborg, not at all on the Sox.

I have never understood the firing of Lamont.  It was wildly popular with the fans but it never made any sense whatsoever to me.

I also totally disagree that Torborg was shown the door.  We wanted him, Torborg wanted out himself.  Losing Torborg was sorely on Torborg, not at all on the Sox.

Schueler told him it might be a good idea that he took the job. Torborg himself relayed this several years ago. He was going to stay, even though he is from the NY area, but when Schueler told him that he knew what he had to do.

I have never understood the firing of Lamont.  It was wildly popular with the fans but it never made any sense whatsoever to me.

I also totally disagree that Torborg was shown the door.  We wanted him, Torborg wanted out himself.  Losing Torborg was sorely on Torborg, not at all on the Sox.

Schueler told him it might be a good idea that he took the job. Torborg himself relayed this several years ago. He was going to stay, even though he is from the NY area, but when Schueler told him that he knew what he had to do.

you have a link or source for that - I am not challenging you - that is new information to me and I'd like to read it

you have a link or source for that - I am not challenging you - that is new information to me and I'd like to read it

No link, it was 11 years ago, but I did hear Torborg say this.