PK must be moved out of the cleanup spot

iamshack

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 09:38 PM)
De Aza

Youk

Dunn

Rios

AJP

PK

Viciedo

Alexei

Beckham

You put two high OBP guys in front of your hottest hitter.

Konerko has a higher on base perct. Than both guys. That being said he's killing us as of late, I think he's hurt

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 10:17 PM)
You don't move him down in the order. You DL him.

If he's truly hurt.

I don't believe he is; at least I don't believe it is any injury that a short DL stint is going to fix.

Hawk is pretty close to the players, especially PK, and he hasn't said a thing about him being injured. Just has continued to say "he is close," and clearly cheerleading for him to get back to being himself.

If he was injured, I think we'd be hearing Hawk make more injury excuses for him.

PK puts a lot of pressure on himself. He is obviously struggling a bit mentally. He is pouting more than I have ever seen him; more than in 2003 even. He isn't running out of the box.

Move him down to a lower-leverage position in the order, let him get his head right, and get back on track. We're going to need him down the stretch.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 10:19 PM)
If he's truly hurt.

I don't believe he is; at least I don't believe it is any injury that a short DL stint is going to fix.

Hawk is pretty close to the players, especially PK, and he hasn't said a thing about him being injured. Just has continued to say "he is close," and clearly cheerleading for him to get back to being himself.

If he was injured, I think we'd be hearing Hawk make more injury excuses for him.

PK puts a lot of pressure on himself. He is obviously struggling a bit mentally. He is pouting more than I have ever seen him; more than in 2003 even. He isn't running out of the box.

Move him down to a lower-leverage position in the order, let him get his head right, and get back on track. We're going to need him down the stretch.

http://www.southsidesox.com/2012/7/16/3161...-konerkos-slump

The Sox have the second best record in baseball the past 6 weeks or so. The performance isn't preventing wins. Hawk mentioned a week or so ago his wrists and he did use the plural, were still not right. I also think his has a leg problem. He's slumping, but he'll be fine soon.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 06:19 AM)
The Sox have the second best record in baseball the past 6 weeks or so. The performance isn't preventing wins. Hawk mentioned a week or so ago his wrists and he did use the plural, were still not right. I also think his has a leg problem. He's slumping, but he'll be fine soon.

Thank you. A guy like PK, he will almost assuredly get out of the slump soon, and you don't move guys like him around in the order based on slumps. If you do, you are just changing the order constantly, and that has negative ramifications as well.

Keep him there.

You guys are absolutely ridiculous.

You sound like Lovie Smith..."Rex is our quarterback."

He cannot continue on his the rampage of suckitude while batting in the 4th spot. He's absolutely killing us right now. You go ahead and cite our winning record despite his horrendous performance. I say many of the games we did lose, including some of those tough losses Jake took, could, or should have been wins.

He's not an 8 year old. He'll deal with the move down in the lineup just fine.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 09:44 AM)

He cannot continue on his the rampage of suckitude while batting in the 4th spot. He's absolutely killing us right now. You go ahead and cite our winning record despite his horrendous performance. I say many of the games we did lose, including some of those tough losses Jake took, could, or should have been wins.

Rex Grossman was a snotnosed half ass QB who had potential. Paul Konerko is a 13 year vet with the Sox, and their captain, who has a long history of performance. There is a big difference here.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 09:44 AM)

What's ridiculous is moving guys around the lineup constantly when the team is doing well, and when the pieces you want to move have shown to be good hitters who, like everyone else, have slumps. Making these changes right now just isn't a smart move, IMO.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 08:51 AM)
Rex Grossman was a snotnosed half ass QB who had potential. Paul Konerko is a 13 year vet with the Sox, and their captain, who has a long history of performance. There is a big difference here.

So we're willing to let him kill us in the cleanup spot instead of just moving him down to 6 or 7 because we don't want to hurt his feelings?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 09:52 AM)
So we're willing to let him kill us in the cleanup spot instead of just moving him down to 6 or 7 because we don't want to hurt his feelings?

Yes, clearly, that is the only reason to keep him in the cleanup spot. His feelings.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 08:51 AM)
What's ridiculous is moving guys around the lineup constantly when the team is doing well, and when the pieces you want to move have shown to be good hitters who, like everyone else, have slumps. Making these changes right now just isn't a smart move, IMO.

Moving him down to get his stuff together again is not equivalent to "moving guys around the lineup constantly."

I'm talking about moving Rios up to 4, AJ up to 5, and PK back to 6.

I really think our guys will survive.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 09:54 AM)
What are your reasons then?

As stated in my earlier post...

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 09:51 AM)

He's Paul Konerko. He slumps, but he's also an incredibly good hitter. As long as he's healthy, leaving him in that spot until he puts it back together is simply the best way to get results.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 08:57 AM)
As stated in my earlier post...

He's Paul Konerko. He slumps, but he's also an incredibly good hitter. As long as he's healthy, leaving him in that spot until he puts it back together is simply the best way to get results.

Why is that the best way to get results? You are offering absolutely zero evidence for this opinion.

Maybe he would relax a bit if he weren't always hitting in such high-leverage spots? He's currently hitting behind two of the most patient hitters in baseball right now. He obviously has no speed, which is compounded by the fact that he isn't even running out of the box anymore, so he is a double-play machine and stranding runners in scoring position at an obscene rate. I'm not comfortable leaving him there because you say "leaving him in that spot until he puts it back together is simply the best way to get results."