PK must be moved out of the cleanup spot

iamshack

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 11:03 AM)
I agree with him looking better last night. I'd still like to see Rios (maybe Youkilis) moved to the 3 spot and Dunn and Konerko dropped. If for no other reason because Rios and Youkilis aren't going to be removed late in the game for a pinch-runner.

This is actually a good point. The other day when Konerko was pulled for a pinch runner, we had Escobar hitting 4th between Dunn and Rios.

I don't necessarily see it being a terrible thing to shift Konerko to 5th, but moving him to 6th or 7th is not a good move. I'm concerned about him, too. I'm not sure this is just a slump. I might be inclined to think he's hurt and playing through it.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 05:06 PM)
Move him to 6 or 7. If he continues for a prolonged period, you've got bigger problems than his feelings.

I still would be shocked if his wrist(s) isn't bothering him. He cannot get around and hook anything with authority, and his only home run in a while was against the terrible Adam Warren. He might say publically that he feels ok, but his swing looks awfully similar to the few games he struggled in before having to get the wrist treatment.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 10:09 AM)
I still would be shocked if his wrist(s) isn't bothering him. He cannot get around and hook anything with authority, and his only home run in a while was against the terrible Adam Warren. He might say publically that he feels ok, but his swing looks awfully similar to the few games he struggled in before having to get the wrist treatment.

I think he's hit a few balls hard foul...I really am not buying the injury thing...I think he's just mentally all screwed up right now.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 11:49 AM)
Regression to the mean, you didnt think he was going to hit 400 all year did you? Moving one of your best hitters for a short period of time is not all that smart or effective. Especially since we have been WINNING games.

That's what I don't understand. The team is winning, why mess with a line up that is working? Paulie will bounce back. You put another guy in the 4 hole and move some other players up, that might make them go into a funk.

Regression to the mean, you didnt think he was going to hit 400 all year did you? Moving one of your best hitters for a short period of time is not all that smart or effective. Especially since we have been WINNING games.

We could have been winning MORE games.

This is not regression, either. This is frustration and confusion boiling over and hurting his entire approach. He's not hitting balls hard anymore. He's popping s*** up and hitting weak grounders.

He is not one of our best hitter over the last two months; he is one of our worst hitters, if not THE worst.

Allowing a hitter with his level of production to bat in such an important spot in the lineup is not all that smart or effective.

You would think batting between Youkilis-Dunn and Rios would be just about ideal to see some good pitches because there isn't a whole lot of margin for error through that part of the lineup. This slump will have to get worse and last longer to shuffle it.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 12:03 PM)
You would think batting between Youkilis-Dunn and Rios would be just about ideal to see some good pitches because there isn't a whole lot of margin for error through that part of the lineup. This slump will have to get worse and last longer to shuffle it.

One would think...it seems like Alex is leading off an inning almost every at bat in the last few months though...

The guy was batting near .400 he was going to regress at some point. Despite this slump he's still leading the sox in ops. He'll be fine, he's our best hitter you don't move him around. If you start to do that we're just going to keep f***in with the lineup when Alex goes into a slump(and it will happen) or when Youk starts swinging it not as well.

Not to mention Alex is clearly comfortable where he is and for a guy who we've all pretty much called a head case one time or another, there's just no reason to take out of that comfort zone.

I'm in the "don't move him" boat, for team morale etc. But I think he's hurting more than he's letting on and trying to play through it. It hasn't killed this team yet, but if I'm not watching the game live Paulie at bats are almost locks for me to fast forward through if I'm trying to catch up in the game. They're just automatic pop ups or ground outs. It's awful.

I know he wasn't goin to hit .400 but a drop of almost .100 points is STARTLING.

A quick 15 day DL trip isn't gonna kill this team right now. Conor Jackson or Dan Johnson can easily match Paulie's output these last two months (He's been that bad) We need him healthy and hitting like he can for the stretch run. Better to DL him now and not risk him going down with a more serious injury in September and miss the playoffs.

Edited by Cali

This ^

I refuse to even read ALL of the back and forth in this thread. Paul Konerko in the cleanup spot is not KILLING this team. The Sox have won 7 of 10 and are still in first place in the division.

/ thread.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 11:59 AM)
We could have been winning MORE games.

I disagree. And the losses werent on the offense which has been very good. I know we all think we should win every game, but its not possible. I am hoping to make it to 20 games above .500 and just stay there. Based on our current rate of winning we could be there by the end of August if not sooner.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 01:06 PM)
This team, with all these rookie arms, cannot afford to strand so many runners. We wasted a brilliant outing by Dylan freakin Axelrod because we couldn't score more than 1 run. That can't happen....

Your statement is a very tough one to argue, obviously stranding runners is never good. All the games that JFP gave up one run and the offense threw up a goose-egg, well it's going to happen, it's the nature of the game and over 162 you're going to have that happen every now and then.

That said, despite the opinion of some in this thread, we certaintly didn't lose last night (or any other game) because Kong was hitting clean-up. We lost because the entire offense (save Youk) didn't show up against some tool that we should have scored 5-6 off.

QUOTE (southsidepride15 @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 09:41 PM)
Your statement is a very tough one to argue, obviously stranding runners is never good. All the games that JFP gave up one run and the offense threw up a goose-egg, well it's going to happen, it's the nature of the game and over 162 you're going to have that happen every now and then.

That said, despite the opinion of some in this thread, we certaintly didn't lose last night (or any other game) because Kong was hitting clean-up. We lost because the entire offense (save Youk) didn't show up against some tool that we should have scored 5-6 off.

It would be nice for Konerko to get a clutch hit, as it's been forever since he had a meaningful RBI. He had some golden opportunities of late to really impact a game late, and he failed every time. Hopefully once he gets a big hit, it will get the monkey off his back and he can relax a bit. One could argue there's been a few games where if Rios was hitting 4th and not Konerko, the Sox could have had a better chance to win (ie: game vs Cardinals where Konerko hit into game-ending double play with tying run at 3rd).

Edited by fathom