Sox sign Hanlet Otano out of DR

southsider2k5

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospe...n-hanlet-otano/

White Sox Agree To Sign Hanlet Otano

Posted Jul. 18, 2012 10:30 am by Ben Badler

Filed under: International, News

The White Sox have agreed to terms with Dominican corner outfielder Hanlet Otano.

Otano, who turned 16 on Monday, stands out for his size (6-foot-4, 200 pounds) and raw power from the right side. The White Sox have been much busier than usual during the international signing period, which opened on July 2. The White Sox also agreed to terms with Dominican third baseman Luis Castillo for $450,000 and Dominican shortstop Johan Cruz.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 11:05 AM)
6-4, 200. Just turned 16. Riiiiiiight....

My first thought too lol. With hundreds of thousands of dollars at stake for these kids, I wouldn't be surprised if just about every player coming from the DR/Cuba/S.A. has a few years trimmed off their age. Especially considering how easy it seems to be to get false documents and immigration papers (see Carmona, Fausto. Or whatever his real name is)

Edit: 16 or 19 either way, good to see J.R. spending the international money

Edited by northside sawx

I'm not really too sure about age issues anymore. It's harder than ever to fake it, and from a White Sox standpoint, after the Wilder fiasco, I'm sure they are being extremely diligent when it comes to signing these kids.

And frankly, that's not that absurdly big. Go watch a high school basketball game in big cities

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 09:13 AM)
Cool name. There's that.

Might as well be HamLET, but Hanlet's close to Hanley, so there's hope in that direction.

"This above all: to thine own self be true,

And it must follow, as the night the day,

Thou canst not then be false to any man".

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 08:02 PM)
While the money indicates somewhat the talent of the player, I wish I knew what, if any, other teams were after these guys. To me that would be the most suggestive sign of their talents. Just hearing the generic scouting reports does nothing for me.

Agreed, but it has been a while since we spent seven figures total on international signings. Good start. As you say, if the Sox were the only team on this guy it would be disconcerting.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 08:38 PM)
Agreed, but it has been a while since we spent seven figures total on international signings. Good start. As you say, if the Sox were the only team on this guy it would be disconcerting.

Or good scouting.

We were the only ones really in on Alexei, Quintana and Iguchi, for example.

It's not unheard of to "hide" prospects down there, although it is pretty rare with the size of that island and how fast word of mouth travels. And the buscones want to line their pockets by having player exhibitions and starting bidding wars.