7/18 Games

flavum

I'd like to hear an honest assessment of Trayce Thompson from somebody within the Sox organization. And I do mean honest.

Hopefully he's just a late bloomer hitting for average, but I have no expectations that he'll be anything 2-3 years from now.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 12:03 PM)
I'd like to hear an honest assessment of Trayce Thompson from somebody within the Sox organization. And I do mean honest.

Hopefully he's just a late bloomer hitting for average, but I have no expectations that he'll be anything 2-3 years from now.

Same here. He is toolsy and still young so we can only hope. Aside from the issue with the low avg., just like with Walker and Mitchell, the strikeouts are such a concern too. I like what I saw of Thompson in spring training and I was hoping he might hit a little better this year. Still hoping.

Scott Carroll taking the mound for the Knights tonight... I'll be checking out the game in Rochester (Yanks are playing home games here this summer). Apparently from the Reds organization? Former quarterback in college. This is all I know haha.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 09:57 AM)
Hawkins fits right in with Viciedo in terms of K's and walks.

Oh, well.

Ayala is going to put himself on the map quickly as our top catching prospect. Which isn't exactly a high bar to jump over.

You're really going to make that assessment based off of 100 rookie ball at bats from an 18 year old?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 08:57 AM)

Oh, well.

Ayala is going to put himself on the map quickly as our top catching prospect. Which isn't exactly a high bar to jump over.

You are seriously making an analogy between Hawkins and Viciedo, based on Hawkins' first few weeks in rookie ball at 18?

And Ayala has played TWO GAMES, one of which was good. He may put himself on the map that way eventually, but come on man. Two games?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 08:57 AM)

Oh, well.

Kind of reminds me of Marc Hill or Joel Skinner

:angry:

I just want to know when's the last time we have a legitimate position prospect that had a decent walk rate?

I don't mean in rookie ball or AFL...just consistently, in his first or second year of full-season.

Just watching Youkilis hit, it makes DeAza (hardly takes a walk), Dunn (won't ever hit the ball to the opposite side and change his approach for the situation), Viciedo and Beckham almost intolerable to watch at times.

Alexei too, for the first two months. AJ, at least if he's impatient he usually makes contact, except against good LHP.

We haven't had a Jeff Abbott or Jeremy Reed in our system for a long time that was a legit 300-325 hitter, at least in the minors.

One or two of them would be nice.

I know someone will mention Carlos Sanchez this year, but you have to have something (pop, power, speed, fielding ability) to make you a really legit prospect. Maybe he's the closest, but he and Ravelo are essentially singles' hitters.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 11:09 AM)
:angry:

I just want to know when's the last time we have a legitimate position prospect that had a decent walk rate?

I don't mean in rookie ball or AFL...just consistently, in his first or second year of full-season.

Just watching Youkilis hit, it makes DeAza (hardly takes a walk), Dunn (won't ever hit the ball to the opposite side and change his approach for the situation), Viciedo and Beckham almost intolerable to watch at times.

Alexei too, for the first two months. AJ, at least if he's impatient he usually makes contact, except against good LHP.

We haven't had a Jeff Abbott or Jeremy Reed in our system for a long time that was a legit 300-325 hitter, at least in the minors.

One or two of them would be nice.

I know someone will mention Carlos Sanchez this year, but you have to have something (pop, power, speed, fielding ability) to make you a really legit prospect. Maybe he's the closest, but he and Ravelo are essentially singles' hitters.

So you want to see a legit 300+ hitter consistently, but who also has power and/or speed, and walks a lot? Very few such hitters exist throughout the minors. Or if they do, its guys like Brady Shoemaker who are old-for-level and not highly considered tools-wise. If you look at other organizations, some don't have anyone like that, others may have 1-2 of them at most at any time.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 11:17 AM)
So you want to see a legit 300+ hitter consistently, but who also has power and/or speed, and walks a lot? Very few such hitters exist throughout the minors. Or if they do, its guys like Brady Shoemaker who are old-for-level and not highly considered tools-wise. If you look at other organizations, some don't have anyone like that, others may have 1-2 of them at most at any time.

I get that. But you'd like to think we could do it more than once a decade.

Even Beckham at his best wasn't close to a .300 hitter. And his K/BB rate is pretty bad.

And yeah, I know Mike Trout is the exception and he's all everyone in baseball seems to be talking about...poor Bryce lost the spotlight, and Albert, as well.