The Washington Nationals Thread

kitekrazy

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 09:39 PM)
f*** the Marlins. They were never significant to begin with.

Question is are the Nationals that good? How would they far against top AL teams.

How did they get this good?

By not having Ozzie

But seriously, they got this good because of sucking and getting Strasburg and Harper. Then pulling off a great trade for Gio. Fleecing the Twins for Ramos (though he hasn't been playing this year, still a good deal). Having Zimmerman and Zimmermann. Drafting Storen. Signing E-Jax.

Now obviously they lucked into two of the most talented draft picks of all time, but some good moves by that f***er Rizzo.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 08:46 PM)
i dont like the nats because of rizzo and harper. hes going to be really good, but i cant stand him already

baseball needed a new villain. now it's got one!

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 09:54 PM)
I'd like to see the Nats trade for Denard Span. If they can find a way to keep Strasburg fresh for the postseason, there is no team with a better 1-2-3 in the postseason than they have with Strasburg, Gio and Zimmerman.

so with what rizzo did to the sox, you want them to win?

If the Sox don't make the playoffs, I'm rooting for the Nats all the way.

I just hope they don't pull a "newbie" playoffs performance and get swept in the NLDS. Kinda like the 2010 Reds. I love seeing fresh blood in the playoffs and they got SMACKED.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 11:48 PM)
Bryce Harper is my favorite non-White Sox player. He's LeBron with better publicists.

He isn't nearly or will he ever have the following for lack of a better word than Lebron.... not sure how he has better publicists. Kid isn't very much liked either.....

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 02:04 AM)
He isn't nearly or will he ever have the following for lack of a better word than Lebron.... not sure how he has better publicists. Kid isn't very much liked either.....

It was a bit of humor. Sorry for the confusion.

He's a super talent who got into his sport at a young age, works his ass off, yet many people dislike him.

General comparison.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 01:11 AM)

He's a super talent who got into his sport at a young age, works his ass off, yet many people dislike him.

General comparison.

Ok, didn't pick up on that. I don't think people disliked Lebron coming into the league though.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 01:11 AM)

General comparison.

he brought that upon himself. just compare him to trout for example, complete opposites. like with the whole ozzie thing. im not on ozzies side or anything but look how harper handled that situation. he couldnt just switch bats and just play? nope, had to be a jerk and show ozzie up. but ill leave it at that. either u like him or u dont and i dont and im looking forward to them losing in the playoffs and im sure they will :)

sure is going to be fun for the nats when it comes to strasburgs arb. years and free agency.his agent is boras and he said strasburg is worth 30 million in "free agent value"

nvm, saw caulfield posted it in the trade deadline, pitchers thread

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 09:43 PM)
By not having Ozzie

But seriously, they got this good because of sucking and getting Strasburg and Harper. Then pulling off a great trade for Gio. Fleecing the Twins for Ramos (though he hasn't been playing this year, still a good deal). Having Zimmerman and Zimmermann. Drafting Storen. Signing E-Jax.

Now obviously they lucked into two of the most talented draft picks of all time, but some good moves by that f***er Rizzo.

So how long was it between the draft and those guys making it to the bigs. Sometimes I understand Kenny's philosophy. Unlike the NFL and NBA, it's hard for draft picks to make an immediate impact unless you trade them for a guy on a MLB roster.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 03:25 PM)
So how long was it between the draft and those guys making it to the bigs. Sometimes I understand Kenny's philosophy. Unlike the NFL and NBA, it's hard for draft picks to make an immediate impact unless you trade them for a guy on a MLB roster.

I believe Strasburg was one year, while Harper was closer to two years.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 01:51 PM)
sure is going to be fun for the nats when it comes to strasburgs arb. years and free agency.his agent is boras and he said strasburg is worth 30 million in "free agent value"

nvm, saw caulfield posted it in the trade deadline, pitchers thread

Kind of a strange place for it, now that you mention it.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Aug 10, 2012 -> 02:01 PM)
@JeffPassan

While Mike Rizzo wouldn't pin down a number, he said Stephen Strasburg will not exceed 180 innings.

How does the best team in baseball shut down it's best player?

Shutting him down doesn't guarantee health in 2013 or 2014 anyway. He could still injure his arm again.

If you have a legit chance to win the WS, you go for it, because it's not promised again. I know how bright Washington's future looks, but s*** happens in baseball.

They should be treating him like the Sox have Sale. Give him extra breaks during the year from time to time, so his arm is getting rest, but can still go the whole season.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 10, 2012 -> 02:12 PM)
Shutting him down doesn't guarantee health in 2013 or 2014 anyway. He could still injure his arm again.

If you have a legit chance to win the WS, you go for it, because it's not promised again. I know how bright Washington's future looks, but s*** happens in baseball.

They should be treating him like the Sox have Sale. Give him extra breaks during the year from time to time, so his arm is getting rest, but can still go the whole season.

100 percent agree.

There's only one Don Cooper, and he doesn't work for the Nationals.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 10, 2012 -> 02:12 PM)

1000 times this.

How stupid do they look if they fail because they shut down Stras?