19/7 - White Sox @ Red Sox: Split to play for

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 09:03 PM)
White Sox NEVER win a game this way, but they lose a s***load this way EVERY year!

Isn't that the truth. Especially the past 5 years or so it seems.

We'll see what this team is made of this weekend.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 09:05 PM)
This bullpen is terrible right now. Absolutely in shambles, as your two best relievers have been awful of late. The sad thing is this will cause Ventura to continue to overuse Peavy and Sale.

i have no idea who we can count on in the 8th when miggy and fielder are up or 9th

This bullpen is terrible right now. Absolutely in shambles, as your two best relievers have been awful of late. The sad thing is this will cause Ventura to continue to overuse Peavy and Sale.

If they need 110 pitches each to go 8 innings and give up 1 or 2 ER, I wouldn't even consider that overuse. If you mean 5 ER in 7 innings and 130 pitches, yes that's overuse.

Wish he tried to overuse Q tonight.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 09:06 PM)

with the pen, its not like we have great arms that are struggling,theyre just not that goos

How many thought that Thornton was actually going to do something good there?

I wonder if it was Cooper's call. If so, it was idiotic.

2-6 against the team we'll probably end up fighting for the last wild card spot.

Escobar didn't help. BUT SOMETHING BAD ALWAYS HAPPENS WHEN THORNTON IS IN FOR THE 9TH. It's inevitable.

I will be happy when they buy out his contract and send him packing. He just doesn't have a secondary pitch to get a batter out when he needs it. Gonzalez was down 0-2, of course, he throws him a hittable FB out over the plate.

There was nothing surprising at all about the way that inning unfolded.

Ventura picks the 3rd best option there. Either Quintana or Reed, either one, would have been better. Seriously, Ozzie Guillen was better at managing bullpens than Ventura has been the last couple of weeks.

Yes, he doesn't have many reliable options, but that wasn't a bullpen question for the 6th/7th/8th. That was do you stay with Quintana for Crawford (who he'd retired easily all game long) or bring in Reed to start the inning? No other debate there to have.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 09:07 PM)
with the pen, its not like we have great arms that are struggling,theyre just not that goos

Matt Thornton has been bad in any important situation for two years now, since the Thome walk-off grand slam.

He's just not reliable when you really need him.

I guarantee if he faces Fielder in Detroit he'll give up a huge hit, probably a homer.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 07:02 PM)
Thing is, if they're not strong enough to show up for the biggest series of the year, then they weren't going to accomplish anything this year anyways.

It's just been the character of this team to not rebound the last few years. Hope I'm wrong.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 09:06 PM)

Detroit series is nut cutting time for Ventura and White Sox.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 09:08 PM)
Axelrod's been our best closer of late

Lulz

We really, really need another veteran in the pen once crain gets back. Dont care what hand he throws with considering thornton is useless.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 03:11 AM)
Surprised no one mentions that Edwardo Escobar, does not make a routine double play, if he can't do that, what exactly is he doing on this team?

He is worthless against RHP. 10-60 on the season now. With the struggles this offense is having, it stinks that Youk had to sit out tonight.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 09:11 PM)
Matt Thornton has been bad in any important situation for two years now, since the Thome walk-off grand slam.

He's just not reliable when you really need him.

I guarantee if he faces Fielder in Detroit he'll give up a huge hit, probably a homer.

thats my point. the pen is just bad. and the offense, lets not give them a free pass. look at the last few games-terrible. oh and i hate cody ross

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 09:11 PM)
Surprised no one mentions that Edwardo Escobar, does not make a routine double play, if he can't do that, what exactly is he doing on this team?

been covered. Hes supposed to be up here for his defense... Really?

Edited by northside sawx

I did.

He had two good at-bats in that game, but that's what happens when you're not playing your natural position (SS) for the first season of your career.

Rookies aren't made for pennant races.

And we have too many of them.

The only one who has manned up all season long is Quintana.

And we just can't get any bounces to go our way. Beckham's ball should have stayed in the park and been a double or triple, and they would have started that inning with at least a 2-0 lead.

Now do you ppl know why Peavy and Sale always wrestle their way back to the mound to squeeze one more inning even though their pitch counts are high, there is no way they trust Robin for a win and with the bullpen personals they have.

I f'ing hate it when a closer is used to get anything other than all 3 outs in the 9th. That includes a 5 out save beginning in the 8th, or inheriting the previous pitcher's situation in the 9th (be it bases loaded no outs, or one out nobody on). Start the 9th with your closer and sit the hell down until he either blows it or gets a save. It's in his hands, not yours.