19/7 - White Sox @ Red Sox: Split to play for

QUOTE (northside sawx @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 09:13 PM)
been covered. Hes supposed to be up here for his defense... Really?

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 09:13 PM)
I did.

Sorry, must've missed it after the explosion of posts right after that walkoff HR

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 09:13 PM)
Kudos to Quintana for absolutely dominating some of the best offenses in baseball. He's a keeper.

Quintana has been nothing short of amazing.

But there's no way in hell I'm trading Viciedo for a quick fix just to get a Wild Card when the entire bullpen is in total disarray.

There's just too much to fix there.

They don't have a single reliable LH reliever and Jones has been terrible recently. Crain, when healthy, hasn't been as good as 2011.

The other problem is that the league has seemingly figured DeAza out (destroy him with offspeed stuff), Dunn's slumping and closing in on .200 and Konerko doesn't have the ability to "turn and burn" as Hawk says.

Just way too many holes right now to gamble the future on one more starting pitcher.

Edited by caulfield12

Escobar doesn't need to be cut, for f***'s sake he had a bad 9th inning let it rest.

I'm very interested in the decision to use Thornton because it makes me think that Reed may have a sore arm going or something. Couldn't have thrown Q out there, he had been skating on thin ice for two innings. Anyone hear the post game interviews yet? I'm out of market and I don't get that stuff.

More run scoring would have been nice.

The thing with this team this year hasn't been that we haven't had bad losses, bad series -- it's that they've been isolated incidents. We may not dominate this weekend, but I can't expect this team to play bad ball. Let's go boys!

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 03:18 AM)
Quintana has been nothing short of amazing.

But there's no way in hell I'm trading Viciedo for a quick fix just to get a Wild Card when the entire bullpen is in total disarray.

There's just too much to fix there.

They don't have a single reliable LH reliever and Jones has been terrible recently. Crain, when healthy, hasn't been as good as 2011.

The other problem is that the league has seemingly figured DeAza out (destroy him with offspeed stuff), Dunn's slumping and closing in on .200 and Konerko doesn't have the ability to "turn and burn" as Hawk says.

Just way too many holes right now to gamble the future on one more starting pitcher.

AL Central isn't out of the question, and tonight's outcome is no reason to lose hope yet. I do agree that giving up anything from the Major League roster for a rental would be a bad decision.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 09:17 PM)
I f'ing hate it when a closer is used to get anything other than all 3 outs in the 9th. That includes a 5 out save beginning in the 8th, or inheriting the previous pitcher's situation in the 9th (be it bases loaded no outs, or one out nobody on). Start the 9th with your closer and sit the hell down until he either blows it or gets a save. It's in his hands, not yours.

Yes, indeed. If we had any confidence in Reed of course he'd be starting the 9th. I don't want to be dramatic but it's been a fun season and I'm afraid this game will be a turning point in the season. It's almost a guarantee we go down tomorrow night with Verlander pitching, even with Jake on the mound.

I highly doubt this team has enough in them to rebound from this loss and the beating they probably will receive this weekend. I hope I'm wrong and I'll be rooting for them tomorrow night.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 03:07 AM)
Wish he tried to overuse Q tonight.

So does Hawk. He told Stoney "daggum right" when asked if he would bring back Quintana in the ninth. Thornton has turned into Ohman. He's just no good.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 03:11 AM)
Surprised no one mentions that Edwardo Escobar, does not make a routine double play, if he can't do that, what exactly is he doing on this team?

Huge huge play in the game obviously.

Hawk was pissed.

It's very frustrating to not split with a mediocre Boston team. That's what happens when Youk got hurt, though. We'd prolly have won tonight and split had he played.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 03:18 AM)
Escobar doesn't need to be cut, for f***'s sake he had a bad 9th inning let it rest.

Regardless of what happened tonight, there's absolutely no reason to be wasting a roster spot keeping both Escobar and Hudson.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 03:23 AM)
Regardless of what happened tonight, there's absolutely no reason to be wasting a roster spot keeping both Escobar and Hudson.

Excellent point. Eskie must go in that scenario.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 09:18 PM)

I'm very interested in the decision to use Thornton because it makes me think that Reed may have a sore arm going or something. Couldn't have thrown Q out there, he had been skating on thin ice for two innings. Anyone hear the post game interviews yet? I'm out of market and I don't get that stuff.

More run scoring would have been nice.

The thing with this team this year hasn't been that we haven't had bad losses, bad series -- it's that they've been isolated incidents. We may not dominate this weekend, but I can't expect this team to play bad ball. Let's go boys!

Quintana barely had 100 pitches and had made Crawford look bad all game long.

The only debate was starting Reed in the 9th or letting Quintana get Crawford out, then going to Reed. Anyone following the White Sox since August of 2009 knows that Matt Thornton is a disaster in those situation. Something always goes wrong, defense behind him, giving up 2 hits in 2 at-bats to lefties, he just doesn't have the cojones that Quintana, a rookie, has exhibited all season long.

If Reed's not healthy, then why would you even bring him in for Ross/Middlebrooks?

This loss is 50% Ventura, 25% the offense, 25% Escobar/Thornton/Reed.

Reed made an absolutely horrible/terrible pitch there.

But, he's a rookie.

The chickens are starting to come home to roost in this series with all the rookies. Septimo the other night, Reed and Escobar spoiling things tonight.

Trying not to go to the dark side, but it's going to be interesting to see which teams make major moves at the end of July only to regret them two weeks later. I'm really hoping the Sox aren't one of them.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 09:24 PM)
Excellent point. Eskie must go in that scenario.

Hudson can only play 2B. That's his problem. And he's not an especially effective pinch-runner either, no better than Danks or Escobar there at this point in his career.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 02:25 AM)
Trying not to go to the dark side, but it's going to be interesting to see which teams make major moves at the end of July only to regret them two weeks later. I'm really hoping the Sox aren't one of them.

:notworthy

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 09:20 PM)
AL Central isn't out of the question, and tonight's outcome is no reason to lose hope yet. I do agree that giving up anything from the Major League roster for a rental would be a bad decision.

If Scherzer, Berry, Young and Boesch keep playing as well as they have been recently, the Tigers just have the overwhelming talent advantage because we can't survive with a powerless .234 hitting Paul Konerko and a .200-ish Dunn against Fielder and Cabrera.

You know the Tigers are going to make at least one of two moves.

Another starter and a 2B, probably Omar Infante.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 03:25 AM)
Hudson can only play 2B. That's his problem. And he's not an especially effective pinch-runner either, no better than Danks or Escobar there at this point in his career.

Can't Hudson play third as well as Esky?

I sensed from Hawk's tone he was not surprised at Esky's lousy play on the easy DP. Got to make that play in the ninth. You just have to.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 02:31 AM)
Can't Hudson play third as well as Esky?

I sensed from Hawk's tone he was not surprised at Esky's lousy play on the easy DP. Got to make that play in the ninth. You just have to.

Hudson demonstrated he can't play 3b. Youk's made us forget about what a disaster he was.

Quintana has been unbelievable. Truly a shame to have this happen a second time in @ a month.

...but; this is baseball and strange/bad things happen over the course of a long season. This one really hurts but it does NOT end the season.

The biggest culprit in my opinion has been our lack of offense.

SOX have beaten Verlander 10 times. There is a lot of baseball left to play and we have been a very gritty team.

Now is not the time to overact to the emotions of a very difficult and unpleasant loss.

GO GO WHITE SOX!

QUOTE (59th street @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 03:36 AM)
Quintana has been unbelievable. Truly a shame to have this happen a second time in @ a month.

...but; this is baseball and strange/bad things happen over the course of a long season. This one really hurts but it does NOT end the season.

The biggest culprit in my opinion has been our lack of offense.

SOX have beaten Verlander 10 times. There is a lot of baseball left to play and we have been a very gritty team.

Now is not the time to overact to the emotions of a very difficult and unpleasant loss.

GO GO WHITE SOX!

Great post, this team has avoided huge slumps all year. EVEN if the Sox lose tomorrow, they still have significant pitching match-up advantages on Saturday and Sunday.

Thornton still gave up single to Gonzalez, and then Reed came in and gave up a bomb to lose the game. I know it's all the fallacy of the predetermined outcome but the game was still far from over, especially with Thornton on the mound.

Edited by Butter Parque