Chick-Fil-A and Homosexuality

CanOfCorn

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 03:20 PM)
The line at the Chik-Fil-A across the street from me was huge. I got there before the line was too big. Meal was delicious and I was served by the owner of the establishment (you know, someone who has invested money in the business and has a lot of money and his livelihood at stake). I'm certainly not boycotting a franchise owned store for something the CEO said (and was perfectly entitled to say). Additionally, he hasn't done anything to treat his employees poorly or to discriminate against them.

Note: My coworkers wanted to go, the fact that it happened to be on national chick-fil-a day was pretty much oblivious to all of us (until I logged onto facebook afterwards).

It's not over what someone said, it's over their actions and who they financially support. That is an important distinction.

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 03:45 PM)
Same. Im a pretty loyal buyer too, so once I like something I stick with it. You have to be like Wiener Circle to lose my business. (I used to go there all the time, but the last time I went they refused to give me change and called it their tip.)

Please say there's more to the story than that.

ha

Well Wiener Circle is notorious in Chicago, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wieners_Circle, basically the people yell and get in your face about service etc. They also have a "chocolate shake" where the women show their breasts.

Late at night its fine, but this was during the middle of the day when I was the only customer. Yell at me, do whatever you want, but keeping my money is crossing the line.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 04:04 PM)
It's not over what someone said, it's over their actions and who they financially support. That is an important distinction.

Actions separate and apart from their business operations and how they treat their customers. That is an important distinction as well.

Unfortunately, if I only bought things from companies I agreed with on everything, I wouldn't have many things. My phone is made by non union Chinese slave labor enabled by lax US laws. My computer is made by a guy who gives to a whole lot of Republicans.

I don't have to go to Chick Fil A today but I probably will again. They give me free sandwich coupons most of the times I give blood. But if they want to make a big deal about it, I don't have to go there right now.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 02:38 PM)
Actions separate and apart from their business operations and how they treat their customers. That is an important distinction as well.

CFA has partnered with Focus on the Family. They even included interactive CDs designed by Focus on the Family in some children's meals. FYI, Focus on the Family is a very politically active organization trying to fight same sex marriage.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 05:42 PM)
CFA has partnered with Focus on the Family. They even included interactive CDs designed by Focus on the Family in some children's meals. FYI, Focus on the Family is a very politically active organization trying to fight same sex marriage.

Tim Tebow cut a Super Bowl ad for them, but one can only look away so long from his glistening muscles as he runs in the rain....

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 04:27 PM)
ha

Well Wiener Circle is notorious in Chicago, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wieners_Circle, basically the people yell and get in your face about service etc. They also have a "chocolate shake" where the women show their breasts.

Late at night its fine, but this was during the middle of the day when I was the only customer. Yell at me, do whatever you want, but keeping my money is crossing the line.

I had a similar experience, where I got a bunch of s*** for not tipping them $5 bucks. It literally took them 2 seconds to give me my order (for an overpriced dog to begin with). I told the b**** behind the counter to f*** off and have never gone back. Not worth the hassle. Maybe when I was 22, drunk and hungry at 2 am. But not now.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 04:38 PM)

Their business operations fund those activities. If it was just the CEO saying something I disagreed with, that'd be different.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 09:41 PM)
Unfortunately, if I only bought things from companies I agreed with on everything, I wouldn't have many things. My phone is made by non union Chinese slave labor enabled by lax US laws. My computer is made by a guy who gives to a whole lot of Republicans.

I don't have to go to Chick Fil A today but I probably will again. They give me free sandwich coupons most of the times I give blood. But if they want to make a big deal about it, I don't have to go there right now.

Eh, political contributions in general don't bother me. If I'm the head of a company i would probably just vote for anything that allowed my company to profit more in a very obvious way.

But social politics I do care about. Especially when they are vocal.

Oh come on now, donating money to a group and telling your employees to keep the queers out of the store are two entirely different things. GMAB.

Edit: and what as the CEO done to "actively promote" discrimination? Stating he doesn't like gay marriage?

Edit 2: and if that's the case, that being against gay marriage is promoting discrimination, i'm sure some of you voted for/donated to Obama's campaign. You know, the guy who was also against gay marriage. So really you were actively promoting discrimination as well!

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 03:02 PM)
Oh come on now, donating money to a group and telling your employees to keep the queers out of the store are two entirely different things. GMAB.

Edit: and what as the CEO done to "actively promote" discrimination? Stating he doesn't like gay marriage?

Providing millions of dollars to organizations actively promoting discriminatory behaviors.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 05:02 PM)

I never said they were the same thing?

The owner has actively donated millions of dollars to anti-gay groups such as Focus on the Family. That is different from merely making a statement.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 11:02 PM)

Edit 2: and if that's the case, that being against gay marriage is promoting discrimination, i'm sure some of you voted for/donated to Obama's campaign. You know, the guy who was also against gay marriage. So really you were actively promoting discrimination as well!

Yes, that guy that pretty much immediately removed the federal defense for DOMA.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 07:11 PM)
And the violence from the tolerant left continues. West Virginia CFA gets bomb threats. How many more to come.....

http://www.journal-news.net/page/content.d...g.html?nav=5006

How do you know who called in the threat?

I read the article and it didnt identify any suspects.

For all we know an anti-gay rights activist called in the threat to try and make it appear like a pro-gay activist did it...

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 03:22 AM)
Well, it's not like the guy used gay people to shake down political contributions and suck up some votes come November... come on now. "He just expressed his opinion!!!!!!!!!!!"

Gay people, what is worse:

A guy doing something that improves your lives and continues your fight for equality, even if the reasons may be political

or

A guy who is spending his fortune to keep you as a second class citizen, even though he believes it in his heart that you are godless sinners that should burn in hell

Tough choice.

A man doing the right thing even if for the wrong reasons, is much better then the man doing the wrong thing, following his convictions.