Chick-Fil-A and Homosexuality

CanOfCorn

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 01:10 PM)
Right, and absent some clearly rare examples, same-sex marriages have no history until recently. That's his point. Marriage started because creation of a life depended on it.

Every single other sexual reproduction occurs sans marriage. His "point" is the dumb belief that marriage has the same current definition now that it has for thousands of years. It's simply wrong.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 01:19 PM)
This statement is clearly false.

Explain to me how the physical marital act between same sex couples can procreate life.

My point in citing his blog was the bit about if you're against gay marriage your a bigot automatically. That's right up SS's wheelhouse, so I figured it'd get some discussion.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 06:31 PM)
Explain to me how the physical marital act between same sex couples can procreate life.

My point in citing his blog was the bit about if you're against gay marriage your a bigot automatically. That's right up SS's wheelhouse, so I figured it'd get some discussion.

Then why let old widows re-marry? Why let women who can't reproduce marry, or vice versa? Why don't we null any marriage that didn't result in children? Those people are ruining marriage as we know it! Why aren't we treating those populations like second-class citizens?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 11:31 AM)

The reason I stated that your statement is false is because creating life does not depend on marriage whatsoever. Marriage is an arbitrary social construct.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 01:31 PM)

Explain to me what marriage has to do with a biological process?

Sex has nothing to do with marriage. I wish not being married meant you couldnt procreate, that would really make my life easier.

If you're for denying equal rights and equal access, you're a bigot. I'm happy that opposing bigotry is right up my wheelhouse.

You're switching your arguments here, though. You said marriage started because procreation depended on it, which is silly on its face.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 01:37 PM)
If you're for denying equal rights and equal access, you're a bigot. I'm happy that opposing bigotry is right up my wheelhouse.

You're switching your arguments here, though. You said marriage started because procreation depended on it, which is silly on its face.

I meant the physical marital act. Christ. The point of humans coming together as a social species, as opposed to roaming as loners, was to procreate. We've always been monogamous and "marriage" was a simple extension of that.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 01:41 PM)
I meant the physical marital act. Christ. The point of humans coming together as a social species, as opposed to roaming as loners, was to procreate. We've always been monogamous and "marriage" was a simple extension of that.

?

Many of the Old Testament Prophets and Patriarchs had multiple wives, including Lamech, Abraham, Jacob, Esau, Gideon, Saul, David, Solomon, Rehoboam, Elkanah, Ashur, Abijah and Jehoiada. Some interpretations also suggest Moses had a second wife in Tharbis. Other polygamists identified in the Bible include Ahab, Ahasuerus, Ashur, Belshazzar, Benhadad, Caleb, Eliphaz, Ezra, Jehoiachin, Jehoram, Jerahmeel, Joash, Machir, Manasseh, Mered, Nahor, Shaharaim, Simeon, and Zedekiah.

So Im guessing that Abraham and Isaac didnt come before Jesus now?

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 12:41 PM)
You have it reversed. Obama mentions God all the time. If he didn't, it would be politically incorrect.

Good, I must not watch him a lot. I always like it when our President mentions God.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 02:16 PM)
From a believer but not necessarily a practicing Christian, being Christian in today's society, especially in the sub-35 year old age group, is equated to being a gay-hating, science-denying redneck. The liberals have absolutely won that fight, and there's really no debate about it. I think that was Greg's point.

That was exactly my point. It is sick and sad that that is today's version of being a practicing Christian in today's society. And again, Jake proved my point perfectly. Without hesitation, he typed in that crap blasting the Bible, whereas I would have to think long and hard before I typed in something about gays or other groups of people with certain beliefs. That is today's society. Hammer away at the rednecks who believe in God. The next step will be when government officials stop mentioning God at all. That will come in the next 20 years I'm sure. Look at how Tebow is mocked all the time. If you are Catholic ... please. The jokes are coming galore.

This sentence by Jenksismyb**** described my situation perfectly To the liberal world I am ... "a gay-hating, science-denying redneck." The liberals have absolutely won that fight, and there's really no debate about it. I think that was Greg's point. Great post, Jenks!

The reason why Liberals have won the fight is because people look at the religious argument and ask questions that cant really be answered.

For example, why is polygamy wrong?

Did you know that Abraham, the founder of Judaism, had 3 wives? Did you know King Solomon had 3 wives, Jacob had multiple wives and same with David.

If multiple wives is a sin, then all of these men are sinners. Which makes no sense, because GOD came to Abraham. You would think if he didnt want that, he would have chosen a non-sinner.

You just can not rectify the belief with the Old Testament, which historically came first. So it basically undercuts the entire "this is how humans always did it" when many of the first Jews were admittedly polygamists.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 02:59 PM)
Good, I must not watch him a lot. I always like it when our President mentions God.

That was exactly my point. It is sick and sad that that is today's version of being a practicing Christian in today's society. And again, Jake proved my point perfectly. Without hesitation, he typed in that crap blasting the Bible, whereas I would have to think long and hard before I typed in something about gays or other groups of people with certain beliefs. That is today's society. Hammer away at the rednecks who believe in God. The next step will be when government officials stop mentioning God at all. That will come in the next 20 years I'm sure. Look at how Tebow is mocked all the time. If you are Catholic ... please. The jokes are coming galore.

This sentence by Jenksismyb**** described my situation perfectly To the liberal world I am ... "a gay-hating, science-denying redneck." The liberals have absolutely won that fight, and there's really no debate about it. I think that was Greg's point. Great post, Jenks!

Yes, because you never, ever hear anyone joke about gays.

And Tim Tebow being one of the most popular players in the NFL has nothing to do with his faith.

If you want to sit in your home/hang out with people who believe the gays deserve to be punished, fine, no one is stopping you from believing that. But it is not your right to deny them the rights this country gives to everyone else.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 07:06 PM)
The reason why Liberals have won the fight is because people look at the religious argument and ask questions that cant really be answered.

For example, why is polygamy wrong?

Did you know that Abraham, the founder of Judaism, had 3 wives? Did you know King Solomon had 3 wives, Jacob had multiple wives and same with David.

If multiple wives is a sin, then all of these men are sinners. Which makes no sense, because GOD came to Abraham. You would think if he didnt want that, he would have chosen a non-sinner.

You just can not rectify the belief with the Old Testament, which historically came first. So it basically undercuts the entire "this is how humans always did it" when many of the first Jews were admittedly polygamists.

I think liberals have won the fight because many don't believe in God and the best way to prove they are right and we are wrong is mock the side that believes in God. We sit back and take it and that is that. There is no question society is going down the tubes. The workplace is a joke nowadays with all the do nothing HR departments and rude bully executives who do no actual work except find ways to keep raises down and find the cheapest insurance companies possible to further bully employees. Our society is going downhill fast and I would like for anybody to prove to me otherwise. I think we were doing much better when people at least respected those with Christian beliefs.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 07:59 PM)
And again, Jake proved my point perfectly. Without hesitation, he typed in that crap blasting the Bible, whereas I would have to think long and hard before I typed in something about gays or other groups of people with certain beliefs.

So your point was that Christians no longer enjoy an immunity from criticism of their beliefs? Jake's post was accurate: the people who wrote the Bible didn't know jack squat about human sexuality. And if someone is going to hold up a book which says gay people should be executed as a paragon of morality, it's going to get blasted in this age. And rightly so. Could Jake have been more tactful about it rather than saying they're assholes? Sure. But maybe that's not his style.

You should feel free to criticize ANY positions a person holds. If I said Will Perdue was the best player on the Bulls championship teams, you'd say that's stupid. If I said Communism was an efficient economic system, you'd say that's stupid. If I said rainbows were caused by fairies, you'd say that's stupid. But if I have a ridiculous view that happens to be part of my religion, you can't say anything? Why do the kid gloves come out only in that situation?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 07:59 PM)

I think that's a rather large exaggeration given that most liberals ARE Christian.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 07:12 PM)
Yes, because you never, ever hear anyone joke about gays.

And Tim Tebow being one of the most popular players in the NFL has nothing to do with his faith.

If you want to sit in your home/hang out with people who believe the gays deserve to be punished, fine, no one is stopping you from believing that. But it is not your right to deny them the rights this country gives to everyone else.

I don't hear gay jokes in Kansas. My town here is very liberal. It's full of gays which is great. I'm for equal rights and gay marriage. It's fine with me. Our priest (yes priest, my religion has run out of priests because of all the jokes and PC that no longer allows "normal" kids to consider pursuing such a calling) has welcomed all gays into the church even tho the higher ups would probably excommunicate him for that. He's great. The only jokes about gays I ever hear are in movies/TV shows where you'll still get a line implying being gay is way wrong. Why aren't people attacking Hollywood more than the owner of a delicious food chain?

Edited by greg775

LMAO at always being monogamous.

And Greg, in a diverse nation, there's really no need for Government officials to use God's name unless they g through Yahweh, Allah, Vishnu, Buddha, Scientology God, etc.

It's not a Christian nation. It's an incredibly diverse nation.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 07:18 PM)
Our priest (yes priest, my religion has run out of priests because of all the jokes and PC that no longer allows "normal" kids to consider pursuing such a calling)

If your church is lacking people interested in becoming priests, I doubt political correctness has anything to do with it. Young people simply aren't that religious compared to past generations.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 02:14 PM)
I think liberals have won the fight because many don't believe in God and the best way to prove they are right and we are wrong is mock the side that believes in God. We sit back and take it and that is that. There is no question society is going down the tubes. The workplace is a joke nowadays with all the do nothing HR departments and rude bully executives who do no actual work except find ways to keep raises down and find the cheapest insurance companies possible to further bully employees. Our society is going downhill fast and I would like for anybody to prove to me otherwise. I think we were doing much better when people at least respected those with Christian beliefs.

I personally think we live in one of the golden ages of humanity.

During what time period was it better?

During World War I and World War II? During the crusades?

In modern society minorities actually have freedom. How is this a bad thing?

Im not sure how this relates to greed, prior to LIBERALISM (the thing you seem to hate) life was described as:

"and which is worst of all, continual fear, and danger of violent death; and the life of man, solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short. "

See Hobbes, Leviathan.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 02:19 PM)
If your church is lacking people interested in becoming priests, I doubt political correctness has anything to do with it. Young people simply aren't that religious compared to past generations.

We have a winner.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 07:19 PM)

No you guys are wrong IMO. Here's it the defiinition of a priest nowadays to liberal America: A pedophile. Cut and dried. Case closed. That is a priest to the world and that is very sad. Because yes there were a zillion pedophiles in the priesthood. Why? Because that's an occupation in which pedophiles can get to kids. Just like there are pedophiles in all occupations where sickos can get to kids.

Add to that the fact the bishops committed CRIMINAL acts in protecting these scumbag pedophiles and you get today's definition of the priesthood and Catholic faith.

Priest equals pedophile.

Bishops equal lawbreakers.

Bye bye Catholic faith DESPITE THE FACT THERE ARE TONS OF GREAT PRIESTS, one who was the biggest POSITIVE influence in my life (negative to those of you who hate my love of Ozzeroo).

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 02:14 PM)

I honestly don't understand this "poor Christians" mentality. As a non-practicing Catholic, I can say that the Catholic Church (note I mean the Vatican itself) should absolutely be criticized for their handling of pedophile priests. Not all priests are pedophiles, but there were men in the Church who certainly turned a blind eye to the ones that were.

It must be tough to be the majority religion. Christianity is mocked. Islam is mocked. Mormons are mocked. Every religion is mocked. Christians in government don't sit back and take it either. They amend state constituitions to make sure those icky gays cannot ever get married. They pass laws to make sure that evolution isn't taught in schools and that creationism is given equal time (without, of course, giving equal time to the creation beliefs of other religions).

I don't understand what fight, exactly, it is that the Liberal boogeyman has won.