Chick-Fil-A and Homosexuality

CanOfCorn

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 04:19 PM)
Exhibit A.

We're having this discussion in a thread where the comments led to an entire day where people could go to Chick Fil A and celebrate how important it is that gay people are denied equal rights.

I think that "Sad" is a soft word for it.

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 01:18 PM)
No, I'm saying the coverage was so intense and the fact nobody ever said this is not a priest issue only but a societal issue (scum of the earth pedophiles are in ALL FIELDS in which they can get to kids) to the point RIGHT NOW you say the words "Catholic priest," you might as well say the word "pedophile." Sad. Today there is no doubt no kid can consider being a priest. It is a bad word to society.

Some pretty hard-hitting anecdotal evidence you've presented. Would you be able to share the survey results you've collected for all of the men who've decided not to become priests?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 04:24 PM)
Some pretty hard-hitting anecdotal evidence you've presented. Would you be able to share the survey results you've collected for all of the men who've decided not to become priests?

Even if he's right, am I supposed to feel bad?

To use an example Greg is perfectly familiar with, Joe Paterno did a whole lot of good in a lot of people's lives. He contributed greatly to his university financially and in many other ways. What do people think of today when they talk about Penn State?

If the Catholic church can't find priests because they spent decades covering up the abuse and rape of kids...my level of sympathy could not be any lower. If Greg's theory is right...you know the solution? STOP COVERING UP THE ABUSE OF YOUNG BOYS AND PROTECTING THE ABUSERS.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 09:19 PM)
Exhibit A.

lol

Step 1: Complain that people sometimes regard Christianity as having a negative influence on society while posting examples of Christianity having a negative influence on society

Step 2: Wait until someone points this out

Step 3: GOTCHA!

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 03:18 PM)
No, I'm saying the coverage was so intense and the fact nobody ever said this is not a priest issue only but a societal issue (scum of the earth pedophiles are in ALL FIELDS in which they can get to kids) to the point RIGHT NOW you say the words "Catholic priest," you might as well say the word "pedophile." Sad. Today there is no doubt no kid can consider being a priest. It is a bad word to society.

If you got that from my post, I presented it wrong. No, not being teased. It's parents not allowing their kids to ever even THINK about the possibility of being a priest because of the mockery of the position now. A priest is a strange pedophile now, case closed. There is something wrong with you if you want to be a priest is the common perception and that is HORRIBLE. My former priest is my life hero and mentor.

AMEN Jenks. The coverage as he said is almost ALWAYS negative. Jenks rocks.

No, a priest is outdated, well, at least having large amounts of them is. Parents want grandkids. Being a priest probably pays poorly.

Plus, the Church protected the pedophiles, so it's the lying in the bed you make.

Case closed.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 01:28 PM)
lol

Step 1: Complain that people sometimes regard Christianity as having a negative influence on society while posting examples of Christianity having a negative influence on society

:lolhitting

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 03:28 PM)
lol

Just keep ignoring the fact that the people supposedly defending the notion of equal rights and equal acceptance are the same people that feel so much hate and animosity towards a specific group of people.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 03:04 PM)
Im not sure this is really accurate. Most top 5 lists in that century have Stalin, Hitler and Leopold II. And the first 2 are responsible for almost 10x as many deaths as anyone else.

Cultural privilege isn't the same thing as totalitarianism.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 09:31 PM)
Just keep ignoring the fact that the people supposedly defending the notion of equal rights and equal acceptance are the same people that feel so much hate and animosity towards a specific group of people.

At least I'm not going to write any laws to take away their basic rights.

And knowing that the founder and CEO of this crappy fast food joint would love it if gays never had equal rights makes me all the more happier that my family will never spend 1 penny at that restaurant.

As for the franchise owners, too bad. They should have opened up a Chipotle. It's been widely known that their employer isn't a fan of gays.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 03:18 PM)

Maybe they shouldn't have covered up child rape for decades?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 04:31 PM)

Can you point to any example of anyone in this thread, or really anywhere, demanding that Christians lose any version of their right to worship in the way that they choose? (Outside of perhaps "don't cover up for pedophiles").

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 03:31 PM)

I know I've pointed out how silly the "you're just intolerant of intolerance!" line of 'reasoning' is before.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 09:31 PM)

I don't know of anyone outside of crappy journalists who promotes equal acceptance of IDEAS.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 03:34 PM)
Can you point to any example of anyone in this thread, or really anywhere, demanding that Christians lose any version of their right to worship in the way that they choose? (Outside of perhaps "don't cover up for pedophiles").

Being treated negatively doesn't have to mean a loss of rights.

Edit: Although you clearly think people shouldn't even be able to donate to lobbying groups (or groups that spend money to lobby) based on their beliefs, so I guess that's a right you want them to lose, no?

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 03:31 PM)

People are hypocrites, not a new phenomenon.

I wish they wouldnt take that route because its completely unnecessary. I have no problem with Christians, I have a problem with people who use religion as a rationale for discrimination.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 04:37 PM)
Being treated negatively doesn't have to mean a loss of rights.

And remarkably, no one is telling the Christians that they have lost the right to hate gay people as much as they want, or to treat them negatively as much as they want (outside of violence, of course). They are perfectly free to continue doing that even when marriage equality happens. I think the gay community would consider that to be a hugely positive step where they had the same rights and were stuck only being treated negatively.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 04:37 PM)
Edit: Although you clearly think people shouldn't even be able to donate to lobbying groups (or groups that spend money to lobby) based on their beliefs, so I guess that's a right you want them to lose, no?

Yes, I'd be thrilled if we could demolish the "Buy yourself an election" lobbying system this country has developed. I would happily give up my rights to give money to candidates and to purchase ads if it would help fix that debacle.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 03:40 PM)
People are hypocrites, not a new phenomenon.

I wish they wouldnt take that route because its completely unnecessary. I have no problem with Christian's, I have a problem with people who use religion as a rationale for discrimination.

Fine, that's an acceptable position I totally agree with.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 03:42 PM)
And remarkably, no one is telling the Christians that they have lost the right to hate gay people as much as they want, or to treat them negatively as much as they want (outside of violence, of course). They are perfectly free to continue doing that even when marriage equality happens. I think the gay community would consider that to be a hugely positive step where they had the same rights and were stuck only being treated negatively.

If the CEO of CFA had no history of donating any money to focus on the family and was apathetic about SSM but came out and said he hated gays the reaction would have been the exact same. GMAB.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 08:39 PM)
Well I disagree. It's a hilarious double standard.

A girl brings a boy home to meet her parents. The boy reveals at dinner that he hates them damn Jews.

The parents tell the girl they don't like him.

Parents are intolerant hypocrites?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 03:00 PM)
Christian belief isn't covered as if it's one side of an argument, it's covered as a problem that needs solving. And it's not just "oh, that's interesting you believe that" it's "OMG, you're a f***ing dumb ass for thinking that way." Creationism? You don't believe in science, you're an idiot. Abortion? That's not a murder issue, that's an equal rights issue. Same with homosexuality. Oh, you don't like boobs on national TV, you're just old fashioned grandpa! Get with the times! Oh gawd, we have a President or Governor that believes that prayer will provide guidance? We're all f***ed!

And on and on.

Again, i'm not really religious, but I can see this plain as day. Religion, and especially Christianity, is still a huge part of society. No questioning that. But the coverage is almost ALWAYS negative. Some of it (priest scandals) for good reason. Most not.

Come on now...

"Evolution? You don't believe in the bible. You're an idiot."

"Abortion? That a murder issue, not an equal rights issue."

"Homosexuality? It's Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve."

"Boobs on TV? Perish the thought!"

"Islam? That's not a religion, that's a cult!"

See what I did there? And those are stated positions of our representatives in government. Again, how is there a War Against Christianity?

The coverage isn't always negative. Of course there are instances where the coverage is negative because it SHOULD be negative. Our leaders should not be making decisions based on what they think the Bible says is right... especially when those views conflict with what the religious minority might think. And there are certainly plenty of people that paint Christianity with too wide of a brush (which is absolutely a problem).

I just have a really hard time buying into "the War Against Christianity." If anything, there's a war to distance Christianity from government. You want your kids to learn about creationism? Send them to private school. You want to prevent gays from marrying, say they can't get married in church. You have a fear of any and all mosques that are built? Don't look at them or move away from them.