Chick-Fil-A and Homosexuality

CanOfCorn

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 02:00 AM)
Actually, the discussion is terrible. In fili, you're allowed to take personal shots at posters because everybody thinks they're right and everybody else is wrong. That's why i stay out of here. i wouldn't last two seconds in here without getting accused of trolling. Then I would get warned by a mod and eventually suspended if i didn't succumb.

:crying :crying :crying :crying :crying :crying :crying :crying

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 09:59 PM)
f*** you jerk

Are we going to allow this sort of intolerance to exist here?! BS verbally assaulted me and nobody did anything about it! I DEMAND JUSTICE!

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 12:32 AM)
I'll agree that half the time the discussion is terrible. Greg's actually been enjoyable to talk to in this thread. But some posters who I never see out of this forum, you know their argument before they post.

Arrogant presumption. What you actually meant to say is you *think* you know their argument before they post. Sometimes people can surprise you, but in order for that to happen, you'd need to give them the chance. Good dissenting discussion is fun, while discussion with people who think exactly like you is not, nor is it a challenge. If that's what you're looking for, head over to Reddit for the circle-jerk hive mind...I'm sure you'll find a lot of people who think exactly like you there.

The discussion in this forum is awesome, because it's as close to "even" as I've seen in terms of political view/stances/etc. You don't have to agree with everyone to think the discussion is good. As a matter of fact, you shouldn't.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 08:46 PM)
lol. That's what soxtalk has become. It's politicstalk for the most part. Lame as hell. This is supposed to be a sports board. We could trade for strasburg tomorrow and it wouldn't generate 40 pages of this dumbs***. Most of the posters that live in filibuster rarely ever post in pht. We need to get rid of fili asap. It's a SPORTS board, people.

You are a troll man, what the f*** is the point of this post other than to get people to disagree with you?

"Hey guys, I know that I chose to enter a political sub forum on the website, and I just want you to know that by doing so, I think the entire board has become political, and I don't like it. Neener, neener neenner!"

Thanks for the opinion, but for the 15-20 people that post here regularly we enjoy the back and forth (speaking for myself anyway). I disagree with SS on just about everything, but I still enjoy arguing with him (and others obviously).

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 03:20 PM)
You are a troll man, what the f*** is the point of this post other than to get people to disagree with you?

"Hey guys, I know that I chose to enter a political sub forum on the website, and I just want you to know that by doing so, I think the entire board has become political, and I don't like it. Neener, neener neenner!"

Thanks for the opinion, but for the 15-20 people that post here regularly we enjoy the back and forth (speaking for myself anyway). I disagree with SS on just about everything, but I still enjoy arguing with him (and others obviously).

well said.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 05:12 PM)
Guys, just my humble opinion, but life is too short to be so worried about where you get your chicken sandwich from...

And the award for best post in the thread goes to...iamshack.

For the record, I'm referring to what seems like a majority of people in this debate (not in this thread, just in general) who show ginned up outrage on either side, not the ones legitimately passionate.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 10:03 AM)
And the award for best post in the thread goes to...iamshack.

For the record, I'm referring to what seems like a majority of people in this debate (not in this thread, just in general) who show ginned up outrage on either side, not the ones legitimately passionate.

Oh, you mean the opportunistically offended.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 09:44 PM)
I can't remember the last time someone not named me or y2hh got suspended back here, and that was for a series of f*** yous.

This guy. But it was a while ago. Most suspensions go unnoticed.

lol. That's what soxtalk has become. It's politicstalk for the most part. Lame as hell. This is supposed to be a sports board. We could trade for strasburg tomorrow and it wouldn't generate 40 pages of this dumbs***. Most of the posters that live in filibuster rarely ever post in pht. We need to get rid of fili asap. It's a SPORTS board, people.

If you traded for Strasburg tomorrow, by the 3rd page everything that could be said about it would have already been said, and the remaining 30 pages would be people repeating it since they don't want to go back and read what everyone else posted. Unless I can catch a thread early, by the time I see them, someone has already said what I was going to say, several times, no need for me to repeat it yet again. I often leave these threads as well when they become that way, as this one has a few times.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 09:15 AM)
Arrogant presumption. What you actually meant to say is you *think* you know their argument before they post. Sometimes people can surprise you, but in order for that to happen, you'd need to give them the chance. Good dissenting discussion is fun, while discussion with people who think exactly like you is not, nor is it a challenge. If that's what you're looking for, head over to Reddit for the circle-jerk hive mind...I'm sure you'll find a lot of people who think exactly like you there.

The discussion in this forum is awesome, because it's as close to "even" as I've seen in terms of political view/stances/etc. You don't have to agree with everyone to think the discussion is good. As a matter of fact, you shouldn't.

Oh, I enjoy when there's actual discussion, but half the time it does follow that rule of thumb. When I'm surprised, it's a pleasant one. But rare.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 11:20 PM)
It's not glamorous because there is no need for a large amount of priests.

My generation is increasingly unreligious, because that's a viewpoint and way of life. There's a downturn in Priests because they live as very poor in a time where you NEED to have money for bills, housing, and living expenses.

I wonder why in the world your generation is anti religious. I shudder to think of a generation that can't take time out on a Sunday to go to church with the family. IMO it's yet one more thing that will make it a "me" generation which is not all good. There are a lot of good things about worship that IMO add to the benefit of society and family and community. You say it's a viewpoint and way of life. Well how did we get to this point? I guess parents didn't bring their kids up stressing religion at all or God at all or faith at all. And soon we are going to have a society that never worships. Great.

If your generation is not going to have community worship, then I wish it would change to where people organzize Sunday or Saturday outings to go help the poor or something, because IMO the concept of community worship on a Saturday or Sunday or Wed. night is a very positive thing. Going to church on Sunday as a family unit to pray to something bigger than themselves is a good thing for kids instead of sitting in front of the f***ing computer all day playing video games. Perhaps somebody in your generation will organize more community service outings. For some reason I think that is hugely doubtful. People generally need to have their arm twisted to go volunteer.

===

On the CFA front, seriously, do we need a "kiss-in" today at all the CFA stories of gay and lesbian community? The CFA appreciation day was in response to the boycott of CFA. Now we have to have men kissing each other in front of stores?

I want men to be able to marry men. Fine. But do we have to have today's public display? Wasn't the boycott enough? So in response to today, we'll have another CFA Appreciation Day next week?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 06:29 PM)
I wonder why in the world your generation is anti religious.

Far greater diversity and exposure to different ideas. Greater scientific knowledge.

And soon we are going to have a society that never worships. Great.

I think that is great.

If your generation is not going to have community worship, then I wish it would change to where people organzize Sunday or Saturday outings to go help the poor or something, because IMO the concept of community worship on a Saturday or Sunday or Wed. night is a very positive thing.

I agree that alternative community-building events would be good.

Edited by CrimsonWeltall

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 01:29 PM)
I wonder why in the world your generation is anti religious. I shudder to think of a generation that can't take time out on a Sunday to go to church with the family. IMO it's yet one more thing that will make it a "me" generation which is not all good. There are a lot of good things about worship that IMO add to the benefit of society and family and community. You say it's a viewpoint and way of life. Well how did we get to this point? I guess parents didn't bring their kids up stressing religion at all or God at all or faith at all. And soon we are going to have a society that never worships. Great.

If your generation is not going to have community worship, then I wish it would change to where people organzize Sunday or Saturday outings to go help the poor or something, because IMO the concept of community worship on a Saturday or Sunday or Wed. night is a very positive thing. Going to church on Sunday as a family unit to pray to something bigger than themselves is a good thing for kids instead of sitting in front of the f***ing computer all day playing video games. Perhaps somebody in your generation will organize more community service outings. For some reason I think that is hugely doubtful. People generally need to have their arm twisted to go volunteer.

===

On the CFA front, seriously, do we need a "kiss-in" today at all the CFA stories of gay and lesbian community? The CFA appreciation day was in response to the boycott of CFA. Now we have to have men kissing each other in front of stores?

I want men to be able to marry men. Fine. But do we have to have today's public display? Wasn't the boycott enough? So in response to today, we'll have another CFA Appreciation Day next week?

I definitely agree with the middle part. Religion, to me, is something that is held in your heart, not in a building. Sundays in a church shouldn't be necessary. If this is something you believe, than you should carry it with you wherever you go, which I think you've said you do, greg, and that's good. But, and this is in limited experience, very few people get anything new out of Sunday services. To me, church should be held more like an open house. Open discussion, questions, answers, come and go as you please. Doing the same thing every week, seems, well, redundant.

As for your last part...is there a need for a "kiss-in?" No. Just like there wasn't a need for a boycott or an appreciation day. BUT, every group has the right to do it, so...yes, there's going to be one.

For many of the posters here this is a community of Sox fans. Our numbers of regular contributors are in the hundreds, not tens of thousands, so deeper bonds are formed, a wider variety of topics are discussed. It is what it was suppose to be, a place where passionate Sox fans could meet and discuss topics that they are interested in. It is organized for that and has worked remarkably well for a long time.

So perhaps posters here would put Stratsburg on a scale with wars, elections, and the dignity of humans and not discuss it as much. I don't find a problem with that at all.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 02:37 PM)
Far greater diversity and exposure to different ideas. Greater scientific knowledge.

I think this thread is a great example of why my generation is coming up anti-religious. What do we see religious people getting fired up about? Do we see them getting fired up about helping people? Helping the poor, other things Jesus taught about? Sometimes yes, but take a look at yesterday at Chick Fil A.

Probably their best day in business ever. Why? Because they wanted to revel in hatred for the gays.

The Catholic church had a group of Nuns who were driving around the country trying to preach the actual things Christ talked about, whether or not policies were helping the poor, helping low income families, and the Catholic Bishops opposed them at the guidance of the Vatican itself, because those aren't the issues that the Catholic church thinks are important...abortion and gay hating.

Say what you want about abortion, not trying to thread derail...but this is not how you do outreach to my generation.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 02:17 PM)
I think this thread is a great example of why my generation is coming up anti-religious. What do we see religious people getting fired up about? Do we see them getting fired up about helping people? Helping the poor, other things Jesus taught about? Sometimes yes, but take a look at yesterday at Chick Fil A.

Probably their best day in business ever. Why? Because they wanted to revel in hatred for the gays.

The Catholic church had a group of Nuns who were driving around the country trying to preach the actual things Christ talked about, whether or not policies were helping the poor, helping low income families, and the Catholic Bishops opposed them at the guidance of the Vatican itself, because those aren't the issues that the Catholic church thinks are important...abortion and gay hating.

Say what you want about abortion, not trying to thread derail...but this is not how you do outreach to my generation.

Ties in closely to the article Strangesox posted.

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 05:25 PM)
Perhaps it is just the pews I have been sitting in, but what is being preached in the churches on Sunday is vastly different than what is being reported in the media.

I'm sure in many places it is. But then my challenge to the religious is...if you don't want me to lump you in with the people who went to chick fil a yesterday to revel in how much they hate the gay...do something about it! Change your leaders. Create other public groups. When the bishops and the Vatican try to smack down the nuns for daring to question whether the current tax policy is consistent with Jesus's teachings, do something about the bishops! Jesus preached peace all the time, and we've gone to war in his name more times than I can count.

The public policy persona of the Religious in this country is "Hate the gays and stop abortion". If you don't like me saying that...great. It's not my responsibility to change it, it's not the media's responsibility to change it...that's what the people who represent the religious in this country want to focus on...if you want that changed, it's the responsibility of the religious to change it. And it's been like that for all my adult life...to the point where one would think "Hmmm, maybe they don't want to change it".

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 01:29 PM)

===

The season I'm an atheist is because when I was 14 I had three family members all die sudden, unexpected and painful deaths. Then went to a Yom Kippur service where I was supposed to ask for an omnipotent God's forgiveness...for not really sinning all that much...while the world suffers, presumably because a woman ate an apple which is the basis for all the suffering in the world. I can't be bothered to praise that type of deity and the other couple thousand don't matter to me.

When I see visual proof there's a God, we'll be good. Till then, Yahweh has to compete with the other thousands of gods to prove who is right and actually exists.

And I also don't need a book to tell me how to be a good person, especially one written 2000 years ago.

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 09:25 PM)
Perhaps it is just the pews I have been sitting in, but what is being preached in the churches on Sunday is vastly different than what is being reported in the media.

Great post. If you believe in God and believe in community worship, church is a good place to be on Sunday. If you believe in God and you look around for a month, you will find a church that is awesome for you. All you have to do really is believe in God and you'll find the right church. I consider church pretty much the highlight of my week because I consider it uplifting to be with a community of strangers who for one measly hour are doing something uplifting and good. Like I said, my priest is very accommodating to all groups, welcoming straights, gays, poor, wealthy, all colors, treating them all the same.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 10:08 PM)
The season I'm an atheist is because when I was 14 I had three family members all die sudden, unexpected and painful deaths. Then went to a Yom Kippur service where I was supposed to ask for an omnipotent God's forgiveness...for not really sinning all that much...while the world suffers, presumably because a woman ate an apple which is the basis for all the suffering in the world. I can't be bothered to praise that type of deity and the other couple thousand don't matter to me.

When I see visual proof there's a God, we'll be good. Till then, Yahweh has to compete with the other thousands of gods to prove who is right and actually exists.

And I also don't need a book to tell me how to be a good person, especially one written 2000 years ago.

You've had some tough things happen to you and your family. Hopefully the next 4/5s of your life will be dandy compared to some of the problems you've had in the first 1/5th.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 05:08 PM)

:headbang

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 06:15 PM)
Like I said, my priest is very accommodating to all groups, welcoming straights, gays, poor, wealthy, all colors, treating them all the same.

My specific question to you then is...if you believe this is a positive thing for your church (and you seem to genuinely do so)...what have you done this week to show that the hate dumped at CFA does not stand for you? What has your church done?

I get pastors on my news at night supporting CFA. Has yours gone on the news and opposed this kind of hate? Called it out? Has your congregation stepped forwards and publicly showed that they don't speak for you?

If not, then no matter how welcoming your congregation is...you're still letting the people in the line at CFA speak for you. Because they are getting out and doing all those things to express their intolerance.