Chick-Fil-A and Homosexuality

CanOfCorn

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 04:30 PM)
I'm sure in many places it is. But then my challenge to the religious is...if you don't want me to lump you in with the people who went to chick fil a yesterday to revel in how much they hate the gay...do something about it! Change your leaders. Create other public groups. When the bishops and the Vatican try to smack down the nuns for daring to question whether the current tax policy is consistent with Jesus's teachings, do something about the bishops! Jesus preached peace all the time, and we've gone to war in his name more times than I can count.

The public policy persona of the Religious in this country is "Hate the gays and stop abortion". If you don't like me saying that...great. It's not my responsibility to change it, it's not the media's responsibility to change it...that's what the people who represent the religious in this country want to focus on...if you want that changed, it's the responsibility of the religious to change it. And it's been like that for all my adult life...to the point where one would think "Hmmm, maybe they don't want to change it".

OK, I seem to recall saying something similar to Muslims and getting bashed to hell from you and every other bleeding heart liberal on here. If you don't want me lumping you in with all the terrorist assholes then do something about it. Change your terror-inciting leaders, create groups other than CAIR that don't support terrorists. When the subject of women's rights comes up, don't make them have to use the back door. It's been that way most of my adult life...to the point where one would think "hmmm, maybe they don't want to change it." Way to go both ways, Balta.

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I only know American/American immigrant Muslims....they all love their countries of origin, but most left due to the treatment of women and violence. Of course, it's a little easier to make money in the USA as well (but the economy!!!)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 09:07 PM)
So obviously, the answer is to do nothing, be silent, let the hatemongers be the only religious voices who are ever heard, and continue to be dumbfounded when people lump religion together with the Chick Fillhators and leave it out of their lives.

These are Americans, and are speaking for you also. As an American what have you done? I will speak out on a message board and try to educate those people that opinions among people who attend church vary as much as any other group in America.

The answer is that as someone who attends church regularly I do not have to speak out on every social issue in America, any more than as a scientist you have to. Do you immediately denounce any scientist who makes a statement you disagree with?

Again, you make it seem like religion means everyone believes the same thing. Why do you think there are thousands of different churches around America?

And which group speaks for you 100% of the time?

I'm going to shut up after this.

Bottom line, anyone who believe that extremists speak for an entire population do not know enough people in that population. Anyone who believe the few people they see on TV speaking out on an issue speak for anyone else besides themselves risk a huge mistake. From politics to religion, from sports to art, no large groups are that in step with each other.

Balta can try and lump me in with the groups we see on TV all he likes, but I sincerely hope that no one else does. I have been very clear that I support getting government out of the business of marriage. That the people involved should decide what is, and is not, a marriage. I do not believe I have to wave a sign or be on TV for my opinion to be validated.

When a liberal politician wants to take away my guns, he is not speaking for me.

When a liberal politician wants to extend abortions to the third trimester, he is not speaking for me.

When my state senators speak out against gay rights, drilling in Alaska, or a myriad of other things, they are not speaking for me.

I shouldn't have to constantly point that out.

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 4, 2012 -> 12:10 PM)

Bottom line, anyone who believe that extremists speak for an entire population do not know enough people in that population. Anyone who believe the few people they see on TV speaking out on an issue speak for anyone else besides themselves risk a huge mistake. From politics to religion, from sports to art, no large groups are that in step with each other.

Balta can try and lump me in with the groups we see on TV all he likes, but I sincerely hope that no one else does. I have been very clear that I support getting government out of the business of marriage. That the people involved should decide what is, and is not, a marriage. I do not believe I have to wave a sign or be on TV for my opinion to be validated.

When a liberal politician wants to take away my guns, he is not speaking for me.

When a liberal politician wants to extend abortions to the third trimester, he is not speaking for me.

When my state senators speak out against gay rights, drilling in Alaska, or a myriad of other things, they are not speaking for me.

At my college, every single persoin I've met from Texas flies a Texas flag in their dorm room. Should I not assume that you have a Texas flag in your home somewhere? ;)

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 4, 2012 -> 01:15 PM)
At my college, every single persoin I've met from Texas flies a Texas flag in their dorm room. Should I not assume that you have a Texas flag in your home somewhere? ;)

Texans are very proud of their country.

Joking aside, I agree with what Tex said.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 4, 2012 -> 02:10 PM)

And the question winds up being...which of those are important enough for you to do something...like vote.

It's not just the extremists on TV. There's a reason why we think of "religious people" in this country as overwhelmingly anti gay...it happens to be true. Throwing up your hands and saying "Not me" and then following it up with "I can't figure out why the media portrays religious people as gay-hating" and "I can't figure out why young people don't flock to the church these days", as has happened in this thread...is a wonderfully ironic combination.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2012 -> 06:50 PM)
And the question winds up being...which of those are important enough for you to do something...like vote.

It's not just the extremists on TV. There's a reason why we think of "religious people" in this country as overwhelmingly anti gay...it happens to be true. Throwing up your hands and saying "Not me" and then following it up with "I can't figure out why the media portrays religious people as gay-hating" and "I can't figure out why young people don't flock to the church these days", as has happened in this thread...is a wonderfully ironic combination.

Why don't those so-called moderate muslims denounce Al Q in the media?!

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 4, 2012 -> 06:34 PM)
Why don't those so-called moderate muslims denounce Al Q in the media?!

Who wants to hear that?

They'd have to have a reason to be heard.

Others are less likely to draw attention to themselves if they are in a region where Al Q may very well be able to eliminate them.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 4, 2012 -> 11:20 PM)
Who wants to hear that?

They'd have to have a reason to be heard.

Others are less likely to draw attention to themselves if they are in a region where Al Q may very well be able to eliminate them.

They denounce AQ in those regions all the time. Here and there and everywhere. They've actually been key in helping marginalize AQ in those areas after the 9/11 attacks. His statement was made in sarcasm.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2012 -> 09:21 PM)
They denounce AQ in those regions all the time. Here and there and everywhere. They've actually been key in helping marginalize AQ in those areas after the 9/11 attacks. His statement was made in sarcasm.

Right, but again this isn't popular media discourse because it is very uninteresting.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2012 -> 06:50 PM)

Here is what I am personally doing. My girlfriend and I have been living together for three years. I am not getting married until gay couples have the same right. I believe any couple who allows the government to determine if they are married is agreeing with the government's definition of marriage. That is my protest. If you took out a marriage license and got married, aren't you agreeing with the government's position?

Isn't it ironic to have people saying it is wrong *and* going out and participating by having the government ok their marriage? Kind of like crusading about illegal drug use while being an illegal drug user? Or wearing a wedding ring while saying the government's position is wrong.

My Church, The Chapel by the Sea hires a pastor. He is our only employee. We are a one location community with about 50 year round members. What would you like us to do?

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 4, 2012 -> 01:15 PM)

Every school day I recite

Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee,

Texas, one state under God,

One and indivisible.

But no, not one at home, not even one on my truck. :lol:

612086010134.jpg

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 08:58 AM)
Here is what I am personally doing. My girlfriend and I have been living together for three years. I am not getting married until gay couples have the same right. I believe any couple who allows the government to determine if they are married is agreeing with the government's definition of marriage. That is my protest. If you took out a marriage license and got married, aren't you agreeing with the government's position?

Isn't it ironic to have people saying it is wrong *and* going out and participating by having the government ok their marriage? Kind of like crusading about illegal drug use while being an illegal drug user? Or wearing a wedding ring while saying the government's position is wrong.

Very, very interesting position there. I like it.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 08:25 PM)
I hear you. I said that about 20 pages ago in this thread. It's absolutely stupid.

If standing up for minority rights is stupid, I dont want to be smart.

The best irony though is that in 1996 the American Family Association started a boycott of Disney for giving benefits to same-sex employees.

I guess CFA isnt a fan of their own medicine.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 01:04 PM)
If standing up for minority rights is stupid, I dont want to be smart.

The best irony though is that in 1996 the American Family Association started a boycott of Disney for giving benefits to same-sex employees.

I guess CFA isnt a fan of their own medicine.

I'm not sure he's saying minority rights are stupid. Then again, I'm not sure because I don't know the current context in which he said what he said. Depending on the context, he may not be saying that at all.

Kap -

I'm so glad you've finally come around and you fully support the rights of gays to marry. That's really big of you to realize you held an ignorant opinion, and to change it. :)

Edited by Reddy

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 03:58 PM)

My Church, The Chapel by the Sea hires a pastor. He is our only employee. We are a one location community with about 50 year round members. What would you like us to do?

If you wanted national publicity for this, you'd get it. It's a commendable stance.

I will say, though, the liberal media would put you on all the national shows. It's like the 3 Stooges Sit in Strike only they wanted to marry the 3 girls not wait. All you'd have to do is email whoever is the new Oprah and you are on.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 05:58 PM)
If you wanted national publicity for this, you'd get it. It's a commendable stance.

I will say, though, the liberal media would put you on all the national shows. It's like the 3 Stooges Sit in Strike only they wanted to marry the 3 girls not wait. All you'd have to do is email whoever is the new Oprah and you are on.

The liberal media meme is just pure delusion.

Brad Pitt wouldnt marry Jolie for that reason, its not even in the newspaper every day (hell you may not have even known it).

Im linking a story about Kristen Bell taking a similar stance, why, I didnt even know she was taking it, so a celebrity isnt even getting press for this. Really kills your liberal media theory.

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2012...ocate-interview

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 05:58 PM)

Greg, the liberal media is as relevant as the conservative media. Both exist in pretty much equal quantities. There's Liberal (MSNBC), Slightly Less Liberal (CNN), and Conservative (FOX). FOX has a bigger viewership though as the only conservative outlet, while CNN and MSNBC split.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 07:45 PM)
The liberal media meme is just pure delusion.

Brad Pitt wouldnt marry Jolie for that reason, its not even in the newspaper every day (hell you may not have even known it).

Im linking a story about Kristen Bell taking a similar stance, why, I didnt even know she was taking it, so a celebrity isnt even getting press for this. Really kills your liberal media theory.

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2012...ocate-interview

:headbang

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 09:20 AM)
You are a troll man, what the f*** is the point of this post other than to get people to disagree with you?

"Hey guys, I know that I chose to enter a political sub forum on the website, and I just want you to know that by doing so, I think the entire board has become political, and I don't like it. Neener, neener neenner!"

Thanks for the opinion, but for the 15-20 people that post here regularly we enjoy the back and forth (speaking for myself anyway). I disagree with SS on just about everything, but I still enjoy arguing with him (and others obviously).

I know I'm late here. But I just can't help myself. Look, when Jason created this board, you know, SOXTALK (a baseball team), I feel confident when I say he believed that the majority of the conversation would be centered around, I don't know, the WHITE SOX. wow. oooh. damn. whatever. And then we went into other teams, mainly chicago teams, that was fine. Sports should dominate, you know, a sports board. The last three years have been an atrocity. I feel like this board should be on par with that of nyyfans or sonsofsamhorn where they, **gulp**, talk about sports. But for some reason, old, crusty and flat out angry people have taken over. And it's sad. Would you old and angry people please get a life (I'm not talking about all of you, but you know who you are), and stop acting like you know everything.