Chick-Fil-A and Homosexuality

CanOfCorn

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 10:03 AM)
Not surprising, given that the phrase "All men are created equal" does not appear in the Constitution.

And back to the pointless nitpicking...

I get that. It means we have never actually enforced what we say. Take property and other economic rights today for example.

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 08:26 PM)
I know I'm late here. But I just can't help myself. Look, when Jason created this board, you know, SOXTALK (a baseball team), I feel confident when I say he believed that the majority of the conversation would be centered around, I don't know, the WHITE SOX. wow. oooh. damn. whatever. And then we went into other teams, mainly chicago teams, that was fine. Sports should dominate, you know, a sports board. The last three years have been an atrocity. I feel like this board should be on par with that of nyyfans or sonsofsamhorn where they, **gulp**, talk about sports. But for some reason, old, crusty and flat out angry people have taken over. And it's sad. Would you old and angry people please get a life (I'm not talking about all of you, but you know who you are), and stop acting like you know everything.

Total posts in the sports forums (PHT, Future Sox, Diamond Club, A&J's OTSB) = 1,381,373

Total posts in the off-topic forums (SLAM and buster) = 504,594

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 10:30 AM)
Total posts in the sports forums (PHT, Future Sox, Diamond Club, A&J's OTSB) = 1,381,373

Total posts in the off-topic forums (SLAM and buster) = 504,594

Actually the difference is way bigger than that, as those figures do not count all of the years of game threads in the archives.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 09:59 AM)
*Some* protest has caused social change, not all. Occupy Wall Street did nothing of the sort.

The only way you can fail or succeed is to step up to the plate and take a swing.

Maybe this will do nothing, maybe it will do something.

But the cost to me is $0, so why not try?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 11:21 AM)
The only way you can fail or succeed is to step up to the plate and take a swing.

Maybe this will do nothing, maybe it will do something.

But the cost to me is $0, so why not try?

The cost is time, which is worth far more than 0$.

And it did nothing. Occupy Wall Street was and is a complete failure.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 08:26 PM)
I know I'm late here. But I just can't help myself. Look, when Jason created this board, you know, SOXTALK (a baseball team), I feel confident when I say he believed that the majority of the conversation would be centered around, I don't know, the WHITE SOX. wow. oooh. damn. whatever. And then we went into other teams, mainly chicago teams, that was fine. Sports should dominate, you know, a sports board. The last three years have been an atrocity. I feel like this board should be on par with that of nyyfans or sonsofsamhorn where they, **gulp**, talk about sports. But for some reason, old, crusty and flat out angry people have taken over. And it's sad. Would you old and angry people please get a life (I'm not talking about all of you, but you know who you are), and stop acting like you know everything.

First, I am neither old nor crusty.

Second, forgive us for having thoughts and opinions about actual, real world issues.

Thanks,

Jenks.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 11:41 AM)

I was talking about CFA, not Occupy Wall Street.

As for my time, it has whatever value I give to it. Not going to CFA, takes 0 time, posting on these boards while Im at work being paid, is really 0 time.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 09:59 AM)
*Some* protest has caused social change, not all. Occupy Wall Street did nothing of the sort.

I don't recall saying "all"...

but there wont be the "some" without the "all.

I love when you make up something that someone else said and then respond as if that fabrication were anywhere in the original post.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 11:41 AM)

lol that's just not true at all.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 11:56 AM)
lol that's just not true at all.

Yes, it is true.

Occupy is a complete disaster, and a failure in every regard. Anyone that says otherwise is simply blind and refuses to see things as they actually are.

If it accomplished, please...enlighten me. Tell us all exactly what it accomplished. This should be hilarious.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 11:47 AM)
It shifted the national conversation away from the stupid debt ceiling and austerity, austerity, austerity to discussing inequality.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 12:12 PM)
Yes, it is true.

Occupy is a complete disaster, and a failure in every regard. Anyone that says otherwise is simply blind and refuses to see things as they actually are.

If it accomplished, please...enlighten me. Tell us all exactly what it accomplished. This should be hilarious.

I call BS on this. The debt ceiling stuff ended because the deadline passed and the parties came to an agreement. IIRC that happened in July-August 2011 and the occupy stuff didn't start until a month or two after that. The conversation had already ended by that point.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 11:07 AM)
And back to the pointless nitpicking...

I get that. It means we have never actually enforced what we say. Take property and other economic rights today for example.

If you really want to go into whether or not we're "all created equal" or whether rights are being expanded or contracted, and you want to hang your hat on the affordable care act and the limited attempts to re-regulate wall street somehow proving your case that rights are being dramatically curtailed, you really don't know your history well.

Seriously, just look at the expansions of rights in this country. We started off with Slaves being 3/5 of a person. Freed them, declared "Equal protection under the law" even if we kinda faked it, gave the vote to women, desegregated the country, expanded the vote to people who were 18 and people who were of non-white background, created more business and property opportunities than we can count, began establishing workplace rights for women and people with disabilities, decided that people in fact did have some right to expect the environment around them to be clean, and now we're working on rights for gays. And that's just in a minute of writing.

We're less than a decade removed from the Supreme Court declaring anti-sodomy laws unconstitutional. Yes, there have been a few backsteps. The rights of workers to organize have been dramatically curtailed over the last few decades, but I don't hear much complaining about that. The rise of a class of super-rich who have more rights than I do might strike some as anti-democratic, but again, that wouldn't fit into "property rights".

Economic rights in the sense you view it seem like they would have been dramatically expanded, through the deregulation craze of the 1980's-2000's, consolidation of finance, the expansion of "Corporate free speech rights" through Citizens United.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 12:47 PM)
It shifted the national conversation away from the stupid debt ceiling and austerity, austerity, austerity to discussing inequality.

And sadly...look how much has been accomplished in that regard. Absolutely nothing.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 11:59 AM)
And sadly...look how much has been accomplished in that regard. Absolutely nothing.

it starts with discussion.

also, the movement shifted to Occupy Our Homes, and THAT has accomplished a helluva lot for people.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 12:39 PM)
I call BS on this. The debt ceiling stuff ended because the deadline passed and the parties came to an agreement. IIRC that happened in July-August 2011 and the occupy stuff didn't start until a month or two after that. The conversation had already ended by that point.

Austerity and the debt ceiling negotiation committee thing were still the main topic until late September when the nypd began pepper-spraying protestors.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 12:58 PM)
If you really want to go into whether or not we're "all created equal" or whether rights are being expanded or contracted, and you want to hang your hat on the affordable care act and the limited attempts to re-regulate wall street somehow proving your case that rights are being dramatically curtailed, you really don't know your history well.

Seriously, just look at the expansions of rights in this country. We started off with Slaves being 3/5 of a person. Freed them, declared "Equal protection under the law" even if we kinda faked it, gave the vote to women, desegregated the country, expanded the vote to people who were 18 and people who were of non-white background, created more business and property opportunities than we can count, began establishing workplace rights for women and people with disabilities, decided that people in fact did have some right to expect the environment around them to be clean, and now we're working on rights for gays. And that's just in a minute of writing.

We're less than a decade removed from the Supreme Court declaring anti-sodomy laws unconstitutional. Yes, there have been a few backsteps. The rights of workers to organize have been dramatically curtailed over the last few decades, but I don't hear much complaining about that. The rise of a class of super-rich who have more rights than I do might strike some as anti-democratic, but again, that wouldn't fit into "property rights".

Economic rights in the sense you view it seem like they would have been dramatically expanded, through the deregulation craze of the 1980's-2000's, consolidation of finance, the expansion of "Corporate free speech rights" through Citizens United.

I guess you don't know what eminent domain actually is? Or the fact that you just proved we have never enforced what we claimed at all, again proving me right?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 03:28 PM)
I guess you don't know what eminent domain actually is? Or the fact that you just proved we have never enforced what we claimed at all, again proving me right?

And despite the panic after the Kelo v. New London decision, there have been comparatively very few uses of Eminent Domain since then. The state is not going out and seizing people's property willy-nilly. Furthermore, it's not like eminent domain wasn't actually a standard doctrine at the time of the writing of the Constitution, and the takings clause of the 5th amendment explicitly allows for eminent domain as long a "Just compensation" is paid.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 02:39 PM)
And despite the panic after the Kelo v. New London decision, there have been comparatively very few uses of Eminent Domain since then. The state is not going out and seizing people's property willy-nilly. Furthermore, it's not like eminent domain wasn't actually a standard doctrine at the time of the writing of the Constitution, and the takings clause of the 5th amendment explicitly allows for eminent domain as long a "Just compensation" is paid.

States have gone and passed laws forbidding the type of takings in kelo.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 04:39 PM)
States have gone and passed laws forbidding the type of takings in kelo.

Which is also what the Court found...it could pass constitutional muster to take property for "Economic reasons" under their interpretation, but states were free to ban the practice.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 02:28 PM)

Im not sure what part of the declaration forbids eminent domain.