Chick-Fil-A and Homosexuality

CanOfCorn

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 05:21 PM)
Meh not unless you're going to skyrocket tax rates. 4%, or 2%, or whatever is really not going to break the economy and cause s*** to fall out of the sky. In reality we have not had taxes this low in what, like 60 or 70 years? They weren't even this low for Reagan.

I'd be more then happy to pay more in taxes, but I also need the government to slash spending. Its beyond ridiculous the amount of money that is wasted and thrown away.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 8, 2012 -> 04:27 PM)
Oh if only it was that simple.

Unfortunately, Im not aware of any company that only sells "Non-Saudi" gas, so Im kind of stuck?

Slightly different than CFA who has hundreds, if not thousands, of competitors.

No, it is that simple. It's just a matter of convenience to the protester, whether you'd ever admit that or not. :P It's easy for you to protest one, but not the other. An industry based on pollution and war, funded by war, death and destruction...but you're ok with that industry because it's convenient.

While I won't invest in oil companies for moral reasons...I'll openly admit I use their products and support the death and destruction that industry leads too because it makes living my life easy/possible. ;)

Actually, only about 12-14% of our oil imports come from Saudi Arabia, our largest non-domestic oil supplier is currently Canada, which supplies nearly 2x as much oil to the U.S. per month as Saudi Arabia.

Canada legalized Same Sex Marriage in 2005.

Furthermore, the U.S.'s 3rd biggest non-domestic oil supplier is Mexico, which has legalized same sex marriage in Mexico City and at least 1 other province and has the opposite situation of the defense of marriage act, so all states in Mexico must recognize homosexual marriages performed in those states.

Thus, buying gasoline supports same sex marriage!

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 8, 2012 -> 04:28 PM)
Wow, another thing that misses the point. It's not because of what he says, it because of what he does. The Saudis aren't funding Focus on the Family to restrict the rights of American homosexuals.

It was also a joke meme...

But there is some truth too it in either case. Most people love to protest out of convenience. So long as it doesn't upset their livelihoods, it's easy to do...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2012 -> 04:31 PM)
Actually, only about 12-14% of our oil imports come from Saudi Arabia, our largest non-domestic oil supplier is currently Canada, which supplies nearly 2x as much oil to the U.S. per month as Saudi Arabia.

Canada legalized Same Sex Marriage in 2005.

Furthermore, the U.S.'s 3rd biggest non-domestic oil supplier is Mexico, which has legalized same sex marriage in Mexico City and at least 1 other province and has the opposite situation of the defense of marriage act, so all states in Mexico must recognize homosexual marriages performed in those states.

Thus, buying gasoline supports same sex marriage!

So long as you shop at the right gas stations.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 8, 2012 -> 04:28 PM)
Wow, another thing that misses the point. It's not because of what he says, it because of what he does. The Saudis aren't funding Focus on the Family to restrict the rights of American homosexuals.

Don't they stone to death homosexuals?

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 8, 2012 -> 04:23 PM)
chikgas.jpeg

http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_move_impcu..._im0_mbbl_m.htm

Around 40K of the 340K oil imports comes from Saudi Arabia.

Around 90K comes from Canada. So maybe we should boycott oil from there for having universal health care and gay marriage?

So...

1) That meme was used terribly wrong. Whoever made it should be shot for being so incorrect in their usage of the meme.

2) We have no way of discerning our oil provider at a gas pump. And more comes from non-OPEC countries.

3) I'm sure most would agree that cars are more of a necessity than Chick-Fil-A

4) As there are no ways of discerning what country gave the oil, we can't readily acquire alternatives (like KFC, Subway, etc.). With Chick-Fil-A, we can.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 8, 2012 -> 04:30 PM)
No, it is that simple. It's just a matter of convenience to the protester, whether you'd ever admit that or not. :P It's easy for you to protest one, but not the other. An industry based on pollution and war, funded by war, death and destruction...but you're ok with that industry because it's convenient.

While I won't invest in oil companies for moral reasons...I'll openly admit I use their products and support the death and destruction that industry leads too because it makes living my life easy/possible. ;)

Eh, convenience matters.

If something is impractical, you cant do it. If something is practical, you can. As I said, if there were other options, Id use them. If CFA was the only supplier of food in the world, Id eat CFA.

And Saudi Arabia isnt where I live, so I really just dont have the time in the day to fix every backwards country in the world. Dont even have time to fix the US.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 8, 2012 -> 04:37 PM)
http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_move_impcu..._im0_mbbl_m.htm

Around 40K of the 340K oil imports comes from Saudi Arabia.

Around 90K comes from Canada. So maybe we should boycott oil from there for having universal health care and gay marriage?

So...

1) That meme was used terribly wrong. Whoever made it should be shot for being so incorrect in their usage of the meme.

2) We have no way of discerning our oil provider at a gas pump. And more comes from non-OPEC countries.

3) I'm sure most would agree that cars are more of a necessity than Chick-Fil-A

4) As there are no ways of discerning what country gave the oil, we can't readily acquire alternatives (like KFC, Subway, etc.). With Chick-Fil-A, we can.

Most, if not all memes are hyperbolically broad generalizations.

So what.

:P

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 8, 2012 -> 04:43 PM)
Eh, convenience matters.

If something is impractical, you cant do it. If something is practical, you can. As I said, if there were other options, Id use them. If CFA was the only supplier of food in the world, Id eat CFA.

And Saudi Arabia isnt where I live, so I really just dont have the time in the day to fix every backwards country in the world. Dont even have time to fix the US.

You could call your congressperson and complain about it though. You could hold protests and sit ins and kiss-a-thons and whatever else to voice your displeasure of the US being linked to said backwards country.

But that doesn't happen. That's the point of the meme. Yes, obviously feasibility is an issue. But it's not like you're estopped from doing ANYTHING.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 8, 2012 -> 04:50 PM)
You could call your congressperson and complain about it though. You could hold protests and sit ins and kiss-a-thons and whatever else to voice your displeasure of the US being linked to said backwards country.

But that doesn't happen. That's the point of the meme. Yes, obviously feasibility is an issue. But it's not like you're estopped from doing ANYTHING.

CFA's political donations directly impact American policy and laws. SA stoning people to death does not. It's dumb to try to link the two things. It's only a diversionary tactic meant to dismiss objections without actually addressing them.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 8, 2012 -> 04:52 PM)
CFA's political donations directly impact American policy and laws. SA stoning people to death does not. It's dumb to try to link the two things. It's only a diversionary tactic meant to dismiss objections without actually addressing them.

Let's also remember that CFA employs a LOT of innocent people who need that job. Something you and others are obviously not thinking about.

If you hurt their business, the CEO, who is already mega rich, isn't affected whatsoever. The employees he will lay off, however...are. So good job. You've hurt innocents via collateral damage, but accomplished absolutely nothing in hurting your actual target.

That, and if the media posted what other CEO's or CFO's or company executives from various companies supported or believed in, you'd be left buying nothing at all...of course, since the media isn't doing that research for you, you aren't going to bother doing it yourself. I'm sure there are executives at Apple that hate gays, and are mad that a homosexual is their new CEO, too...

GG.