Chick-Fil-A and Homosexuality

CanOfCorn

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (northside sawx @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 12:31 PM)
Typical Ultra-Conservative Southerners.

That's an unfair generalization. You don't know anything about Southerners if you think we're all like that. I find their politics to be ridiculous, but it comes as no surprise from a company that shuns revenue and profit just to close on Sundays.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 09:40 AM)
I think this is kinda bulls***.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/bre...,0,929023.story

So they support one definition of marriage. There's been zero evidence that the store, or its employees, discriminate in anyway.

Well, that's what happens when you have a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that you have the audacity to define what marriage is about.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 09:40 AM)
I think this is kinda bulls***.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/bre...,0,929023.story

So they support one definition of marriage. There's been zero evidence that the store, or its employees, discriminate in anyway.

That sucks. I've always wanted to try it but there's no restaurants close by. If it was in Logan Square, I'd probably hit it up.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 10:16 AM)
Well, that's what happens when you have a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that you have the audacity to define what marriage is about.

That is a personal opinion that never affects how the business runs or operates, especially as it pertains to homosexuals.

I just find it hilarious the double standard. "Treat people equally unless you don't believe what I believe and then it's ok for me to treat you unequally."

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 10:53 AM)
That is a personal opinion that never affects how the business runs or operates, especially as it pertains to homosexuals.

I just find it hilarious the double standard. "Treat people equally unless you don't believe what I believe and then it's ok for me to treat you unequally."

Didn't he say God would punish those with the audacity to define marriage?

Looks like it happened.

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 10:57 AM)
Didn't he say God would punish those with the audacity to define marriage?

Looks like it happened.

No, he said he thinks it's wrong that humans feel like they can redefine marriage when God has already done it. He's never said anything about punishing gay people that I've seen.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 11:20 AM)
No, he said he thinks it's wrong that humans feel like they can redefine marriage when God has already done it. He's never said anything about punishing gay people that I've seen.

Mr. Cathy has every right to say what he wants to say and believe whatever he wants to believe. But now, if the alderman thinks that a Chick-Fil-A isn't a good fit for his constituents, he doesn't have to let them in. It doesn't matter what the individual store general manager, manager or employees might believe. Shoot, that particular store could be a bathhouse by night and it wouldn't matter. If the parent company believes it, the company should expect the fallout to all of its stores. Bottom line, if Chick-Fil-A were really and truly worried about expanding your business into cities that trend to the left, shut your mouth about these issues and open your restaurants.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 11:26 AM)
Mr. Cathy has every right to say what he wants to say and believe whatever he wants to believe. But now, if the alderman thinks that a Chick-Fil-A isn't a good fit for his constituents, he doesn't have to let them in. It doesn't matter what the individual store general manager, manager or employees might believe. Shoot, that particular store could be a bathhouse by night and it wouldn't matter. If the parent company believes it, the company should expect the fallout to all of its stores. Bottom line, if Chick-Fil-A were really and truly worried about expanding your business into cities that trend to the left, shut your mouth about these issues and open your restaurants.

I really don't think you can make a zoning decision based on religious belief. If the store opens and people don't eat there, that's different.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 11:40 AM)
I really don't think you can make a zoning decision based on religious belief. If the store opens and people don't eat there, that's different.

It's Chicago, you make a zoning decision based on whatever the hell you want, normal rules don't apply.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 11:53 AM)
It's Chicago, you make a zoning decision based on whatever the hell you want, normal rules don't apply.

What a waste of time/energy/money though. That article said they've been working with the City for 9 months on traffic plans. Everything was a go until this alderman decided to make a headline.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 11:54 AM)
What a waste of time/energy/money though. That article said they've been working with the City for 9 months on traffic plans. Everything was a go until this alderman decided to make a headline.

And I'm sure there are other business owners in his ward who have the same opinion Chick-Fil-A. They just aren't stupid enough to publicly comment on it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 12:04 PM)
I would love to see that lawsuit.

And there might be one. If Chick-Fil-A wants to move north they will face this in a lot of cities. It would be worth fighting.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 12:21 PM)
And there might be one. If Chick-Fil-A wants to move north they will face this in a lot of cities. It would be worth fighting.

Seems to me like it would be a pretty cut and dried case too. Especially if they had gotten far on the project, and it was torpedoed because of religious statements. I've seen lawsuits over much lesser things.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 12:30 PM)
Seems to me like it would be a pretty cut and dried case too. Especially if they had gotten far on the project, and it was torpedoed because of religious statements. I've seen lawsuits over much lesser things.

the problem is it's religiously discriminatory.

the company contributes to anti-gay groups...

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 12:51 PM)
the problem is it's religiously discriminatory.

the company contributes to anti-gay groups...

Most Muslim sects don't give women the same rights as men. How many of them haven't been allowed to open mosques specifically because of said discrimination? Not allowing something specifically because of their religious views is illegal. There are backdoors around it, usually bs zoning issues, but to flat out blame it on a religious issue is the very definition of discrimination, and is opening the City of Chicago up to a big lawsuit.