The Pierre-Viciedo Debate

Marty34

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 01:15 PM)
Why do you make stuff up?

True or false.

You want to trade for Juan Pierre and play him in LF against RHP?

What position do you actually want him to hit in the order? 9th?

That kind of defeats your whole argument...if he's such a great hitter against RHP, shouldn't he hit 1st or 2nd?

DEAR MAGNIFICENT MARTY

Name the last 3 outfielders who have come to the AL from the NL and hit significantly better or the same as they were hitting in the NL?

Your whole argument is based on 1) the NL=AL, and 2) Pierre actually sustaining his success rate.

Juan Pierre OPS totals in 2009

April .905

May .940

June .628

July .603

Aug .852

Sept .560

Juan Pierre can be hot for a month or two, in the NL, and keep in mind, this was 3 years ago, when he actually had speed.

But there's no way he can sustain it over a longer time period. He will wear down in August and September, it's inevitable.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 01:21 PM)
True or false.

You want to trade for Juan Pierre and play him in LF against RHP?

What position do you actually want him to hit in the order? 9th?

That kind of defeats your whole argument...if he's such a great hitter against RHP, shouldn't he hit 1st or 2nd?

Why do you make stuff up? I.E. "You probably think ..."

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 01:25 PM)
Why do you make stuff up? I.E. "You probably think ..."

So please bless and grace us with your opinion on where the might Juan Pierre would hit in the line-up.

And you're not taking into consideration Viciedo is probably even or better with him defensively and has a MUCH better arm to prevent every single baserunner in the majors from challenging him.

Are you factoring in all the extra bases and runs scored because of Pierre's arm in LF? Heck, he cost us 2-3 wins in April/May 2011 alone with his atrocious defense. You can't just look at one single dimension.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 01:31 PM)
So please bless and grace us with your opinion on where the might Juan Pierre would hit in the line-up.

And you're not taking into consideration Viciedo is probably even or better with him defensively and has a MUCH better arm to prevent every single baserunner in the majors from challenging him.

Are you factoring in all the extra bases and runs scored because of Pierre's arm in LF? Heck, he cost us 2-3 wins in April/May 2011 alone with his atrocious defense. You can't just look at one single dimension.

He had him hitting second against RHP yesterday. Maybe he forgot to take meds today and forgot. I'm sure he's just trolling.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 01:31 PM)

No. It is all about OPS vs RHP in 2012. That is it. No other factors can be discussed.

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 01:45 PM)
Are we sure Marty isn't Juan Pierre, or his agent?

No. Juan would admit that he's playing above where he should be right now and won't be able to sustain the pace. Besides, he's probably happy in Philly.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 12:24 PM)
I just read through what I missed in the thread. This is still going on? Seriously? Marty, why is this still going on? Pierre is not coming back to town. Who cares which guy has more outs vs RH pitching? Juan Pierre sucks at baseball. I will give you that Viciedo is bad vs RHP but at least there is the chance that DV will hit for power off of RH pitching. This whole thread is nauseating though because of the Pierre discussion. My god just end it already.

as Steve Rosenbloom would say

Death not an option. Getting Jaun Pierre vs. Ozzie is a good manager. Discuss

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 02:35 PM)
I'm thinking KW re acquires Lillibridge to platoon with Dunn. Dunn has an under .700 OPS vs. LHP and strikes out about have his plate appearances vs. them. He makes too many outs. Lillibridge showed last year he hits lefties well. He'd look good in the 3 hole.

:lolhitting

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 03:19 PM)
So you have no logical explanations then? Didn't think so.

The idea that you would tie an apology to something as silly as a "logical explanation" for my opinion that Juan Pierre will be better than Viciedo for the remaining 2 months of the season against right-handers does not reflect well on you.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 03:38 PM)
The idea that you would tie an apology to something as silly as a "logical explanation" for my opinion that Juan Pierre will be better than Viciedo for the remaining 2 months of the season against right-handers does not reflect well on you.

Lol...I'm not going to apologize to someone I think is purposely going out of their way to get a rise out of people. If my conditional apology hurts my Internet reputation so be it.

If you can counter the flaws I pointed out in your "opinion", then I'd at least know you were trying to be objective with your Juan Pierre idea. However, the fact that you continue ignoring my previous questions shows you don't have logical explanations.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 04:14 PM)
Lol...I'm not going to apologize to someone I think is purposely going out of their way to get a rise out of people. If my conditional apology hurts my Internet reputation so be it.

Stay classy.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 06:08 PM)
I thought you didn't want Viciedo platooning.

Marty is to DV, as Cowley is to Ozzie - completely incapable of discussing ANYthing else.

Keep derailing threads, Marty.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 06:51 PM)
Marty is to DV, as Cowley is to Ozzie - completely incapable of discussing ANYthing else.

Keep derailing threads, Marty.

I think it appears that way because when you take the extreme minority opinion, you have many more people to answer to.

I admire Marty for having the courage to do so. Not many here do.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 08:13 PM)
I think it appears that way because when you take the extreme minority opinion, you have many more people to answer to.

I admire Marty for having the courage to do so. Not many here do.

Appreciate the comment Jamshack.

Here is my quick two points on Viciedo.

1.) Can't waste this opportunity, get the best starting pitcher available. Unfortunately you can't trade Jordan Danks to accomplish that.

2.) Viciedo struggles against right-handers. What's wrong with getting a cheap insurance policy like Pierre? I'll wager his OBP will be higher than Viciedo's against righties in August and September.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 08:37 PM)
Appreciate the comment Jamshack.

Here is my quick two points on Viciedo.

1.) Can't waste this opportunity, get the best starting pitcher available. Unfortunately you can't trade Jordan Danks to accomplish that.

2.) Viciedo struggles against right-handers. What's wrong with getting a cheap insurance policy like Pierre? I'll wager his OBP will be higher than Viciedo's against righties in August and September.

Whoa. Slow down. I have no real problem with you wanting to trade Viciedo. But don't say that.