Who would you choose as your ace?

BridgeportHeather

Imagine that every player in MLB will become unrestricted free agents right now. If you were to choose one pitcher of whom you'd want as our ace, who would you want? You can choose the one you think has the nastiest "stuff," the wickedest high-heater, etc...

Imagine that every player in MLB will become unrestricted free agents right now.  If you were to choose one pitcher of whom you'd want as our ace, who would you want?  You can choose the one you think has the nastiest "stuff," the wickedest high-heater, etc...

Mark Prior

There is no pitcher I'd like to be in a White Sox uniform more than Pedro Martinez. He's had some injuries the past couple seasons; however, he's still downright nasty. He's a gamer with boatfuls of confidence. His "stuff" is among the best in MLB. He's not going to allow many runs, and knows how to get out of jams when he does get into them. Pedro knows how to pitch.

I think Mark Buehrle will be nasty good next year.

But if I had to choose an ace....Jason Schmidt..Shawn Chacon...or Kevin Brown...

I realize it's NL West slanted....but those three have been very good his year....Brown could easily be the NL Cy Young frontrunner if he had any sort of offense whatsoever...

It's Pedro. 

Mark Prior?   :huh:

Yeah. Mark Prior. You all can take your always-on-the-DL Pedro. I'll take my staff ace of the future Prior.

I'll glady take a guy who, over the last 7 years, is 112-35 (take a look at that, and just think about it for a second...77 games over .500) with an ERA of 2.21 and 11.33 strikeouts per 9 IP. Prior may one day reach that status, but until then, he's barely qualified to carry Pedro's jock strap.

I'll glady take a guy who, over the last 7 years, is 112-35 (take a look at that, and just think about it for a second...77 games over .500) with an ERA of 2.21 and 11.33 strikeouts per 9 IP.  Prior may one day reach that status, but until then, he's barely qualified to carry Pedro's jock strap.

If it's a short term proposition, then that's a very valid point.

Long-term, give me Prior.

He won't have to hold anyone's jock by the time he's through.

Maybe it's just looking through 2003 glasses, but I would go get me a closer first. Smoltz perhaps. If we are limited to a starter, I would look a few miles north and grab Mark or possibly Dontrell just because he's so damn funny to watch.

another vote for mulder.

love a solid lefty.

has four or five pitches he can throw for strikes. Not as dependent on the heater as Prior

excellent all-around athlete.

Never causes problems

from the south side of town.

I'm sure the As have him locked up for at least two more years -- but after that I've love to see somebody hypnotize JR into opening the wallet and bringing Mulder to the Sox.

2. Prior

3. Oswalt.