20/7 (or 7/20): White Sox @ Detroit... IT'S ON!!!!

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 02:42 AM)
Bill Melton is right.

The White Sox just don't any relievers who can consistently throw offspeed pitches. Doesn't matter how hard you throw, you will get torched in the big leagues, especially when you get behind in the count.

That and the fact that Konerko's hitting about .230 with no power for the last 40-45 games and Adam Dunn is quickly closing in on .200.

It would be a mistake to make any big trades to try to save this season IMO.

Outside of trading Quintana, Sale or Viciedo, there's really no one I'd be too upset about the Sox trading for a rental. I guess that's the fortunate thing about having a bad farm system. I do agree though that making a blockbuster deal for a rental would probably be a bad idea.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Might as well make Veal our #1 lefty now.

At least he has a curveball.

For some reason, Thornton refuses to throw offspeed pitches...and yet there was an at-bat in the last 7-10 days where he threw 5-6 of those slurves/sliders, whatever that pitch he flips up there for his breaking ball.

Yet we don't ever see it in huge situations, just fastballs center cut.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 08:44 PM)
Outside of trading Quintana, Sale or Viciedo, there's really no one I'd be too upset about the Sox trading for a rental. I guess that's the fortunate thing about having a bad farm system. I do agree though that making a blockbuster deal for a rental would probably be a bad idea.

And there are so many issues with our bullpen right now...

We can't just go out and get a closer and two more veteran relievers (at least one, and not sure we can trust Crain this year).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 02:44 AM)
Might as well make Veal our #1 lefty now.

At least he has a curveball.

For some reason, Thornton refuses to throw offspeed pitches...and yet there was an at-bat in the last 7-10 days where he threw 5-6 of those slurves/sliders, whatever that pitch he flips up there for his breaking ball.

Yet we don't ever see it in huge situations, just fastballs center cut.

Thornton actually has been very effective with his slider the last few weeks, IMO. He dominated the Blue Jays with it.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 08:46 PM)
Thornton actually has been very effective with his slider the last few weeks, IMO. He dominated the Blue Jays with it.

Who was that he threw 5-6 sliders in a row against?

Lind?

It was a lefty, if I remember correctly.