Shooting in CO at Batman premiere

Joxer_Daly

WB pulls 'Knight' Paris preem after shooting

12 dead in movie theater shooting

By Robert Mitchell (www.variety.com)

Twelve people have been shot dead and many more wounded at a midnight screening of "The Dark Knight Rises" in Aurora, Colorado Friday morning.

A gunman walked into a Century 16 theater in Aurora, Colorado in the early hours of this morning about thirty minutes into a midnight screening of the latest "Batman" film.

Warner Bros. execs were reeling from the news Friday morning. Studio quickly canceled plans for the "TDKR" premiere in Paris today, which was due to be attended by director Christopher Nolan and key cast, but beyond that there's been no time to consider whether the tragedy will spur any changes to marketing campaign or have other fallout for the pic.

"Warner Bros. and the filmmakers are deeply saddened to learn about this shocking incident. We extend our sincere sympathies to the families and loved ones of the victims at this tragic time," the studio said in a statement issued Friday morning.

Latest details from the Aurora Police Department state twelve people have died with ten bodies still at the crime scene and at least two more dying at area hospitals. At least fifty people were shot, including the deceased with victims taken to at least six area hospitals according to BBC News. Reported victims being treated in area hospitals range in age from three months old to forty-five.

"Witnesses tell us he released some sort of canister," Police Chief Dan Yates said in a statement. "They heard hissing sounds and some gas emerged and then the gunman opened fire."

Witness Paul Oterman told Sky News a man entered the theater through an emergency exit at the front right of the auditorium wearing a flack jacket and a gas mask.

"I thought it was a publicity stunt for a second there and then he threw tear gas over the crowd," said Oterman. "As soon as he let go of it i could feel it in my eyes and I could tell something was about to go really wrong, and then he started firing shots into the crowd."

One man was arrested in the parking lot at the location following the incident and Yates said there was no evidence of any additional shooters. The man, 24 year-old James Holmes, was found in possession of a rifle and a hand-gun and wearing a bullet-proof vest and riot helmet.

An explosive device was also reported found in the theatre.

Aurora is situated seven miles outside State capital Denver and less than twenty miles from Columbine High School where two students shot and killed thirteen people in 1999.

President Barack Obama said in a statement, "Michelle and I are shocked and saddened by the horrific and tragic shooting in Colorado. All Of us have the people of Aurora in our thoughts and prayers as they confront the loss of family, friends and neighbors, and we must stand together with them in the challenging hours and days to come."

A San Diego woman who was contacted by ABC News told reporters she was Holmes’ mother. She said had awoken unaware of the shooting and had not yet been contacted by authorities, but immediately expressed concern to ABC that her son may have been involved.

“You have the right person,” she said. “I need to call the police . . . I need to fly out to Colorado.”

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Warner Bros. execs were reeling from the news Friday morning. Studio quickly canceled plans for the "TDKR" premiere in Paris today, which was due to be attended by director Christopher Nolan and key cast, but beyond that there's been no time to consider whether the tragedy will spur any changes to marketing campaign or have other fallout for the pic.

Wish I could say that I'm shocked, but I'm not.

I feel very weird guys. I've been living out here in Denver with my brother for the summer and we priced tickets at that movie theatre last night, decided not to go because of work in the morning and long lines. Just crazy. The day after we bought a Glock too, makes me want my concealed carry (no good in Illinois is why I've never bothered with it). Just....weird

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 09:36 AM)
Let's not go about blaming victims. Maybe not top parenting but certainly nothing that their child should be shot to death over. Losing their kid is bad enough without moral police pointing fingers.

The thing with the mother is weird. How did she know it was her son? Sounds like he must have been talking about doing something.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 08:42 AM)
A San Diego woman who was contacted by ABC News told reporters she was Holmes’ mother. She said had awoken unaware of the shooting and had not yet been contacted by authorities, but immediately expressed concern to ABC that her son may have been involved.

“You have the right person,” she said. “I need to call the police . . . I need to fly out to Colorado.”

I thought this seemed odd as well, he may have given some indication it may happen. Obviously as a parent even if your son said something like this, it'd be hard to believe he meant it so I won't start pointing fingers...but just a very crazy event

Breaking News ‏@BreakingNews

Colorado shooting suspect's apartment is 'booby trapped,' police chief says; working to disarm flammable or explosive material -

More: Explosives appear 'very sophisticated' and police could be at scene 'for hours or days,' Aurora police chief says

Witnesses stated clearly on the Today show that he was dressed more like a police or SWAT team officer rather than Bane...but that's not what the media wants to say.

Depressing... What the hell is wrong with some people?

Thoughts and prayers to victims & their families

Edit: very surprised this guy was taken alive, wonder tlhow that went. Real justice woulda been one of those Coppers inserting 9 grams of lead into dudes temple, now this a**hole gets a trial and we get to hear about how he was a goody guy and would never do something like this, SMH...

Edited by northside sawx

Real justice woulda been one of those Coppers inserting 9 grams of lead into dudes temple, now this a**hole gets a trial and we get to hear about how he was a goody guy and would never do something like this, SMH...

Actually, I think people like this want/expect to be killed (many do it themselves) and having to rot in jail for 60 years might be more punishment than getting it over with now.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 10:43 AM)
Actually, I think people like this want/expect to be killed (many do it themselves) and having to rot in jail for 60 years might be more punishment than getting it over with now.

If that was the case, they could quite easily just overdose on any number of drugs. It's not hard to do.

When I was watching earlier they said he was just standing by his car when police came. But no, btw, real justice is in fact a civilian court system that tries everyone to judge if they are guilty and then sentencing them. Real justice is not cops just going up and killing people.

QUOTE (northside sawx @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 10:23 AM)
Depressing... What the hell is wrong with some people?

Thoughts and prayers to victims & their families

Edit: very surprised this guy was taken alive, wonder tlhow that went. Real justice woulda been one of those Coppers inserting 9 grams of lead into dudes temple, now this a**hole gets a trial and we get to hear about how he was a goody guy and would never do something like this, SMH...

Reports are that he didn't resist. Doesn't seem like this guy cared much about getting caught.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 11:27 AM)
I would have preferred he tried for 'death by cop' and pulled his gun when they arrived. Saved everyone the hassle and cost of a trial.

As tempting as that idea is from the outside, it should be noted that when that happens, you are also permanently scarring the person who had to shoot him. Regardless of how evil the perpetrator may be, that is not an experience to wish on anyone.

Rather than feeding him baloney sandwhiches in a 8x10 cell on the taxpayers dollars they shoulda just put him outta his misery.

Why did he go through all the trouble of booby trapping his apartment, JUST to tell the feds about it when they got him...? Dumb SOB

QUOTE (northside sawx @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 11:31 AM)
Rather than feeding him baloney sandwhiches in a 8x10 cell on the taxpayers dollars they shoulda just put him outta his misery.

Why did he go through all the trouble of booby trapping his apartment, JUST to tell the feds about it when they got him...? Dumb SOB

Don't try to rationalize this guy. He obviously has something wrong, and trying to put him into a box of normalcy just isn't going to work.