Shooting in CO at Batman premiere

Joxer_Daly

QUOTE (G&T @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 10:42 PM)
That's not what legal insanity is. Legal insanity questions the actor's ability to understand that the conduct is criminal. Usually it is reserved for cases where someone actually believes that they are doing something right when they commit the act.

Interesting. I did not know that.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 05:29 PM)
If he's in a mental hospital he'll be with other patients, right? I mean they don't have solitary confinement in a hospital do they? Knowing the pussification of America, I am pretty positive he'll be ruled insane by the latest failure of a jury. It's the old argument, "You'd have to be insane to do what he did." I wonder if he'll even confide in his parents that he is sly as a fox and knows what he did and why he did it.

In non 3rd world countries America probably has some of the stiffest penalties for criminals, compare us to our neighbor to the north for example it's so much lighter up there. He is going to be in prison for rest of his life. On a sidenote, the food in the federal prisons are actually not terrible.

The meals in state prison aren't awful, not good, but definitely tolerable. Also, you can buy your own food (boxes of little debbie, pop, meat, coffee, etc...), TV, radio, hot pot, etc...even in maximum security prison's do you get these luxuries. Now, I'm not familiar with the Colorado Penal System, but if it's anything like Illinois, it will make you furious.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 08:59 AM)
In non 3rd world countries America probably has some of the stiffest penalties for criminals, compare us to our neighbor to the north for example it's so much lighter up there. He is going to be in prison for rest of his life. On a sidenote, the food in the federal prisons are actually not terrible.

I was talking more about juries failing to convict in the high profile trials.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 01:32 PM)
I was talking more about juries failing to convict in the high profile trials.

California kind of skews the statistics there, though. FWIW, Timothy McVeigh was tired and convicted in Colorado.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 07:56 PM)
California kind of skews the statistics there, though. FWIW, Timothy McVeigh was tired and convicted in Colorado.

Did McVeigh ever talk publicly before he got sizzled? I wonder why that bastard did what he did.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 10:17 AM)
I guess the mother of the 6-year old who was killed just miscarried. AND she doesn't even know yet about the death of said 6-year old. That is just f***ing rough.

Damn.

I read a good column by Leonard Pitts saying that the liberal media never mentions the possibility that there is evil in the world and that evil has been around forever. He said it makes as much sense as anything to ask the Lord (the person the liberal media and Bill Maher say do not exist) to fix things.

Interesting take. He takes everything out of the equation except the plain, simple fact that evil exists and in this case exists in the form of the orange-haired bastard.

On a final note (it would be interesting to have a poll on here asking who believes there is God and who doesn't), let's say you do believe in God. ... Being that he is all knowing, for eternity he knew this creep in Colorado was going to do this on a certain date in the year 2012.

Does God shake his head (if he has one) when the day finally arrives and say, 'Darn, why did I allow this bastard to do this?' Or say, 'Where did I go wrong in creating this guy?' or does he simply say, 'Devil, evil you won this one, but a lot of good happened in that theatre as well. Like people giving up their own lives to save others.'

It is crazy to think an all knowing God knew the day would come when this creep would 12 people by blowing into a movie theatre. Just as he knew there would be concentration camps, Hitler, etc.

Now does he sit around and wait for the next catastrophe on the agenda that he already knows will happen??

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 12:04 PM)
I read a good column by Leonard Pitts saying that the liberal media never mentions the possibility that there is evil in the world and that evil has been around forever. He said it makes as much sense as anything to ask the Lord (the person the liberal media and Bill Maher say do not exist) to fix things.

Interesting take. He takes everything out of the equation except the plain, simple fact that evil exists and in this case exists in the form of the orange-haired bastard.

On a final note (it would be interesting to have a poll on here asking who believes there is God and who doesn't), let's say you do believe in God. ... Being that he is all knowing, for eternity he knew this creep in Colorado was going to do this on a certain date in the year 2012.

Does God shake his head (if he has one) when the day finally arrives and say, 'Darn, why did I allow this bastard to do this?' Or say, 'Where did I go wrong in creating this guy?' or does he simply say, 'Devil, evil you won this one, but a lot of good happened in that theatre as well. Like people giving up their own lives to save others.'

It is crazy to think an all knowing God knew the day would come when this creep would 12 people by blowing into a movie theatre. Just as he knew there would be concentration camps, Hitler, etc.

Now does he sit around and wait for the next catastrophe on the agenda that he already knows will happen??

The idea would be that God operates on a higher plane of understanding than we do, so the reasons would be unfathomable.

I also find that explanation to be an entirely too convenient explanation for everything.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 02:45 AM)
The idea would be that God operates on a higher plane of understanding than we do, so the reasons would be unfathomable.

I also find that explanation to be an entirely too convenient explanation for everything.

Interesting. The thing is, if you believe in God, you believe we are his children and he loves his children. Yet in granting the 6 year old girl in the theatre admission into this life, God did so full well knowing she would die at 6 in horrible fashion.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 06:04 PM)

I can't imagine why the media should mention mythology in the news.

"We've set new record high temperatures this week. It's time to pray to Ra the Sun god, because he is clearly angry with us."

They're supposed to be reporting facts.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 07:43 AM)
I can't imagine why the media should mention mythology in the news.

"We've set new record high temperatures this week. It's time to pray to Ra the Sun god, because he is clearly angry with us."

They're supposed to be reporting facts.

Sure, in the 1950's. Not today.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 09:05 AM)
Sure, in the 1950's. Not today.

So because the quality of the media has gone down, it's now reasonable to ask why they don't have discussions of Christian Religious philosophy?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 01:04 PM)
Being that he is all knowing, for eternity he knew this creep in Colorado was going to do this on a certain date in the year 2012.

Which is the best proof of the nonexistence of god.

If god exists, he must be all powerful and all knowing (otherwise he is not god.)

If he is all knowing, then he must know everything I will do.

If he knows what I am going to do, then I never really had the freedom to choose in the first place.

Thus, no matter what I have done, god wanted me to do it.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 03:36 PM)

If god exists, he must be all powerful and all knowing (otherwise he is not god.)

If he knows what I am going to do, then I never really had the freedom to choose in the first place.

This also depends on what you consider "God" to be.

For example, I consider the "big bang", or the "prime mover" to be God. It doesn't necessarily have to be some being that walks or talks like a human...nor does it even have to actually care about us...whatsoever.

IMO, it's indifferent...for what it's worth. It started it all...it made all life possible. But it doesn't really care what happens now. By all accounts, even if it can care...I doubt it would. It's on an order of magnitude equal to how we feel about stepping on and killing a thousands upon thousands of ants...or killing a bee hive, etc...

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 02:20 PM)
I'm confused by the notion that the "liberal media" refuses to acknowledge the existence of evil in the world and the idea that the liberal media says god doesn't exist.

Leonard Pitts suggested that this was an act of evil. Pure and simple evil. He said there has always been evil around but the media will not go there. They will not just point out this bastard is evil. No more. No less. He is evil.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 09:36 PM)

Good post. I don't know why that proves God does not exist, however. Some say God put us on the earth and the rest just happens. Allegedly he grieves with the survivors and did not necessarily want this bad stuff to happen, but it did.