Shooting in CO at Batman premiere

Joxer_Daly

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 01:20 PM)
Someone has to get fired for this, tweeted this afternoon

Celeb Boutique ‏@celebboutique

#Aurora is trending, clearly about our Kim K inspired #Aurora dress ;) Shop: http://celebboutique.com/aurora-white-plea...r-dress-en.html

Get used to it. People are going to exploit this tragedy for fullest, whether it is money or politics.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 01:27 PM)
Get used to it. People are going to exploit this tragedy for fullest, whether it is money or politics.

Hmmm, I didn't think it was purposeful exploitation. I just thought it was pure stupidity, someone didn't connect the word "Aurora" with the shootings.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 01:30 PM)
Hmmm, I didn't think it was purposeful exploitation. I just thought it was pure stupidity, someone didn't connect the word "Aurora" with the shootings.

Judging by the wink included in the tweet, I think they fully understood the connection.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 01:21 PM)
I heard 71 people injured, which might include injuries from the tear gas in addition to gunshot wounds.

A lot were shrapnel injuries. I don't think 71 people were shot with bullets. People in the theater next to the one he was shooting in were injured from all the ricochet.

And now anytime any of us goes to a movie, we'll feel a little bit uneasy and be staring at the exit doors up front. Kind of like a lot of people flying today still get that uneasy feeling and look around and hope no one on there is a terrorist.

I'm trying to actually envision sitting in a theater and having someone up fire - you must feel like you aren't in a real world for a few seconds until panic hits and you have to try to survive.

Edit: Caught this nugget underneath his photo:

James Holmes was a student the University of Colorado Denver's graduate program in neurosciences

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 01:46 PM)
And now anytime any of us goes to a movie, we'll feel a little bit uneasy and be staring at the exit doors up front. Kind of like a lot of people flying today still get that uneasy feeling and look around and hope no one on there is a terrorist.

I'm trying to actually envision sitting in a theater and having someone up fire - you must feel like you aren't in a real world for a few seconds until panic hits and you have to try to survive.

Definitely if its your first time getting shot at your first reaction is disbelief, then taking cover.

I really, really hope we as a country don't freak out over this. It's a fluke thing done by a crazy person. No more, no less. This isn't because of Call of Duty, Batman, availability of guns, etc. This was a crazy person that did this. Period.

More than a decade after 9/11 i'm still pissed how much we as a society gave up in terms of personal freedoms in everyday life just to feel more safe, when in reality we're not much safer than before.

#Aurora is trending, clearly about our Kim K inspired #Aurora dress ;) Shop: http://celebboutique.com/aurora-white-plea...r-dress-en.html

That is in the WORST taste. Insensitive bastard.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 01:49 PM)
Definitely if its your first time getting shot at your first reaction is disbelief, then taking cover.

That begs the next question, how many times have you been shot? Was it in military action?

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 01:33 PM)
There are some truly sick people out there.

I hope this piece of garbage dies a slow painful death.

This has hit me hard.

I am just amazed this guy would go in a theatre and blast away on all sorts of strangers.

Think of how many people this affects, how many lives lost, families ruined.

And this f***ing moron who did this ... does this guy realize his one ridiculous act of violence now puts him in jail the rest of his life as he awaits his date of death with Colorado having the death penalty? Was it worth it, you f***ing clown? Couldn't you have taken you sick anger out on something else? Go chop a f***ing tree down in rage or something you moron.

I'm sick.

Whatever this guy's problem with society, to take the lives of innocent people, many of those people I'm sure who were planning on being superstars of society and having their own families, etc.

My god.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 01:54 PM)
That begs the next question, how many times have you been shot? Was it in military action?

Yep. 15 months worth of random pop shots while on patrols. The first time it happened to me i felt like all my previous training flew out the window and survival mode kicked in.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 06:52 PM)
I really, really hope we as a country don't freak out over this. It's a fluke thing done by a crazy person. No more, no less. This isn't because of Call of Duty, Batman, availability of guns, etc. This was a crazy person that did this. Period.

More than a decade after 9/11 i'm still pissed how much we as a society gave up in terms of personal freedoms in everyday life just to feel more safe, when in reality we're not much safer than before.

True.

I still think it'd be so easy for a group of gunmen to hit a big stadium, not at the start of a game but the second half of a college football or basketball game. Thank God they haven't done it.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 01:52 PM)

Agreed with the first paragraph.

But one crazy guy shooting people in a theater is a lot different that terrorism. Let's not put them on the same level as far as giving up freedoms, which whether you tried to or not, you basically did with the second paragraph.

I'm sure your reaction post 9/11 wasn't the same as it is now. But what personal freedoms are you upset you had to give up? Does it deal with airports, or going to events, or...?

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 01:57 PM)
Yep. 15 months worth of random pop shots while on patrols. The first time it happened to me i felt like all my previous training flew out the window and survival mode kicked in.

Damn dude. Even coming from a family history of vets (not me personally, but Dad, both Grandfathers, uncles etc) how much they just don't talk about those experiences, sometimes even when pointedly asked about it. Nothing but respect from me.

They are claiming they didn't know the connection. That's almost impossible.

Actually I'm quite fascinated watching them try to cover their ass.

Edited by G&T

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 01:58 PM)
Agreed with the first paragraph.

But one crazy guy shooting people in a theater is a lot different that terrorism. Let's not put them on the same level as far as giving up freedoms, which whether you tried to or not, you basically did with the second paragraph.

I'm sure your reaction post 9/11 wasn't the same as it is now. But what personal freedoms are you upset you had to give up? Does it deal with airports, or going to events, or...?

The entire security landscape has changed in just about every aspect of life. Transportation is just one. Buildings have security, stadiums have security, events are canceled because of security concerns, etc etc. Billions and billions are spent in the name of safety and i'm convinced the vast majority of it is a gigantic waste. It's security theater.

I seriously hope we don't go down this path, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if we start seeing metal detectors/security checks at major public places like movie theaters, malls, etc. Just wait, in the next couple of days that'll be the next talking point.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 02:02 PM)

To be ignorant about it is just as bad as posting the tweet, imo. How could you not know? FIRST thing I heard in the radio this morning en route to work was this. And the winky face? Ahh the trouble people get themselves in with social media these days...

Gimme a break lady and admit you f-cked up and you might save your job. Personal responsibility these days is no where to be found.

QUOTE (northside sawx @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 08:24 PM)
To be ignorant about it is just as bad as posting the tweet, imo. How could you not know? FIRST thing I heard in the radio this morning en route to work was this. And the winky face? Ahh the trouble people get themselves in with social media these days...

Gimme a break lady and admit you f-cked up and you might save your job. Personal responsibility these days is no where to be found.

They aren't in the United States. This doesn't excuse it, because you shouldn't hop on a trending topic without knowing what it is, but, it would explain why their experience is different than yours.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 02:02 PM)

I think that's why they are spelling it apologise, to emphasize that fact that the tweeter was not based in the US.