Sox trade for Brett Myers

flavum

I don't know what this dude did or allegedly did in the past, but I know he's been a pretty good pitcher and the White Sox have lost a bunch of games that they were leading late. A baseball team losing a bunch of games that they're leading late typically means that said baseball team requires help in the bullpen. The White Sox just got help in the bullpen. I'm happy that the White Sox may potentially win more games this season now.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (pktmotion @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 02:24 AM)
+1

Trying to find role models out of a sport, that not only promotes but documents incessantly the individual athletic merits of its players, is extremely pointless.

Might as well model your good samaritan skills by observing the ethical behavior of type-A-venture-capitalists.

or to put it in other words...

If he pitches well couldn't care less.

I'm not trying to find a role model. I'd imagine a good percentage of these guys are guys if you knew them, you'd want nothing to do with them, but there is a line. Not personally knowing them and cheering for them is easy but to a certan point. Wifebeating is over the line. There is NO reason to beat your wife. I don't care what she says or does. A 6'4"240 pound man dragging a 5'4" 120 pound woman by the hair and hitting her is NEVER justified. She admitted he hit her. She said she wasn't going to let him do this to here anymore suggesting it had happened before. If he was willing to do that in public for all to see, its hard to imagine what it must have been like in private. He's a certified POS. I hope the White Sox win, and I hope he has nothing to do with it. If they do lose, I hope its all his fault.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 06:47 AM)
Getting back on point, are we REALLY committed to paying a setup guy $10M next year?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?

That's ridiculous. We must be getting $5M from Houston? What are the terms here please?

The $10M kicks in if he finishes 45 games this year, which won't happen if he's a setup man.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 06:51 AM)
The $10M kicks in if he finishes 45 games this year, which won't happen if he's a setup man.

yeppo. he will be the set up man and a good one at that. Getting J-Crain back will help the team out tremendously as well.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 06:35 AM)
I'm not trying to find a role model. I'd imagine a good percentage of these guys are guys if you knew them, you'd want nothing to do with them, but there is a line. Not personally knowing them and cheering for them is easy but to a certan point. Wifebeating is over the line. There is NO reason to beat your wife. I don't care what she says or does. A 6'4"240 pound man dragging a 5'4" 120 pound woman by the hair and hitting her is NEVER justified. She admitted he hit her. She said she wasn't going to let him do this to here anymore suggesting it had happened before. If he was willing to do that in public for all to see, its hard to imagine what it must have been like in private. He's a certified POS. I hope the White Sox win, and I hope he has nothing to do with it. If they do lose, I hope its all his fault.

I don't see how wanting Myers to do his job well correlates to being pro wife beating.

Blah...honestly, what do you folks care about what these guys do in their own personal lives? YOU WILL NEVER, EVER MEET THEM.

There are a ton of people you'll come into a lot more contact with than Brett Myers, that have done equally bad things or worse, and yet I doubt you will think about that for one moment.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 08:20 AM)
I don't see how wanting Myers to do his job well correlates to being pro wife beating.

It doesn't.

Once again, we have all the men in town lining up to play the knight in shining armor.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 02:35 AM)
WTF is this? I'm supposed to hate Carl Everett in 2005 for something he eventually did in 2011? lol.

From wiki:

Everett has also made controversial remarks about homosexuality. He once said that if he had an openly gay teammate that he would consider retiring, or, at the very least, "set him straight." In the 2005 season, he told Maxim that he has had gay teammates and accepted them, but, "Gays being gay is wrong. Two women can't produce a baby, two men can't produce a baby, so it's not how it's supposed to be. … I don't believe in gay marriages. I don't believe in being gay."[7]

Everyone knew Everett was a POS when he was here, so let's not rewrite history.

Plain and simple, pro-sports are littered with awful human beings. I suggest getting upset about players like Josh Lueke (google the name, see the 4th link down) being able to still play baseball. You know, players who were found guilty of their crimes.

Violence against women is abhorent. However, the issues between Mr and Mrs Myers are their private issues and business. If they, and expecially, Brett are working on making their marriage work and the people in that marriage better peope and more respectful of each other than it is not for anyone else to judge.

Now back to baseball. It appears the acquisition of Brett Myers the pitcher from Houston was a good move and we most certainly needed to get some experience in that bullpen. I hope it translates into wins.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 06:57 PM)
I don't care what he does after 'work' as long as he's not dogging it on the field. His wife is still with him? She must love that MLB salary. Carry on.

I hope he's better himself, but he's complete scum. As far as a baseball player, he really is a quality fit and something the Sox need. However, given the massive mistake he made, I absolutely am disgusted at the idea of having a person like that on our roster.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 09:20 AM)

Its about the excuses now made for him. Many of these Pro Brett Myers opinions would be wife beater posts if the Cubs were in contention and acquired him. I don't think anyone here is pro wife beating, but they do make excuses for the guy when he becomes a White Sox. There are no excuses. It show an extreme flaw in character and shows the guy is a total coward. KW put White Sox fans in a position where they have to cheer for a known wife beater. There's no excuse for that. I don't care how desperate he is. There is no doubt in my mind there are several MLB teams that wouldn't take Brett Myers if he was free due to that incident. I wish the White Sox were one.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 10:00 AM)
Violence against women is abhorent. However, the issues between Mr and Mrs Myers are their private issues and business. If they, and expecially, Brett are working on making their marriage work and the people in that marriage better peope and more respectful of each other than it is not for anyone else to judge.

Now back to baseball. It appears the acquisition of Brett Myers the pitcher from Houston was a good move and we most certainly needed to get some experience in that bullpen. I hope it translates into wins.

We will see if its a good move. Historically, he hasn't fared too well against the AL.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 10:27 AM)
I hope he's better himself, but he's complete scum. As far as a baseball player, he really is a quality fit and something the Sox need. However, given the massive mistake he made, I absolutely am disgusted at the idea of having a person like that on our roster.

Couldn't have said it any better.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 06:47 AM)
Getting back on point, are we REALLY committed to paying a setup guy $10M next year?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?

That's ridiculous. We must be getting $5M from Houston? What are the terms here please?

As said previous to this reply, that option is vested to how many games he finishes, if the option does kick in, there's a $3M buyout that the White Sox can use.

I see Myers as a fail-safe; he'll set-up and long-relief at first, but if Reed/Thornton continue to struggle I can see him close some games.

Nfl x100 times worse than MLB in terms of scumbags/convicts. Doesn't stop people from cheering for the likes of Michael Vick, ray Lewis, Marvin Harrison, etc. doesn't make it right tho. Then again the nfl can seemingly do no wrong in the eyes of many. I'm not a myers fan personally but it won't stop me for cheering him to do well when he's pitching for the sox

I wonder how many players would want to play for the Sox (or any particular team for that matter) if they found out how many POS wife beaters, rapists, child molestors, thieves, drunks, or just assholes in general were fans of that team that regularly attended games, watched them on TV or posted on that team's fan message boards?

When you cheer for him, you are cheering for his accomplishments on the baseball field. You are not cheering for him as a man, or a human being.

If you can't make the distinction, you probably shouldn't ever cheer.

When you boo someone, are you booing them as a man or a human being? Of course not; you are booing their performance on the baseball field.

It works both ways, folks.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 11:51 AM)
When you cheer for him, you are cheering for his accomplishments on the baseball field. You are not cheering for him as a man, or a human being.

If you can't make the distinction, you probably shouldn't ever cheer.

When you boo someone, are you booing them as a man or a human being? Of course not; you are booing their performance on the baseball field.

It works both ways, folks.

I dont understand why this is so hard to get

QUOTE (Carter224 @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 10:55 AM)
I dont understand why this is so hard to get

I don't know. Everyone wants to get on their moral high-horse and wax poetic about the lives of those in the limelight. In reality, we know very little about the personal or private lives of these people. What we see and read is is very little; we have no way of really knowing these people. We are not their friends or relatives or coworkers.

I'm not going to judge people I do not know. I am not going to judge how people handle their relationships or marriages when I know nothing about them.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 09:40 AM)
From wiki:

Everyone knew Everett was a POS when he was here, so let's not rewrite history.

Plain and simple, pro-sports are littered with awful human beings. I suggest getting upset about players like Josh Lueke (google the name, see the 4th link down) being able to still play baseball. You know, players who were found guilty of their crimes.

I do not care about a person's personal or religious beliefs. I don't care if you're an adulterer or a racist or whatever. I do care about a 6'4, 240 pound man striking his wife in the face multiple times. I will not cheer this scum at all.