IS THIS THE END OF OUR FAITHFUL HEROES?

southsider2k5

This seems like as good of a place as any to have all of the hater talk. Is this the end of the season? Have we seen the high point of 2012 for the Sox? Or is this just a bump in the road? Will the Sox play better as they get some of their pitchers back? Is Detroit on their run, or is this just a temporary hot streak, and they will go back to how they played the first half of the season?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 07:10 PM)
This seems like as good of a place as any to have all of the hater talk. Is this the end of the season? Have we seen the high point of 2012 for the Sox? Or is this just a bump in the road? Will the Sox play better as they get some of their pitchers back? Is Detroit on their run, or is this just a temporary hot streak, and they will go back to how they played the first half of the season?

Bump in the road. Let's weather the storm.

We need to get a few guys going again, but this team is balanced.

Get some guys back healthy, settle in a bit, and then lets go on a roll of our own.

They're done.

I think its asking a lot to expect Chris Sale to stay as strong as he has, hes gotta tire out at some point.

Konerko has disappeared.

Dunn is reverting back to his 2011 ways.

Inconsistent pitching from the back end of our rotation.

I am happy that they played as well as they have so far, I wasn't expecting it at all. I didn't expect them to keep it up without making some major moves but I think were about done adding big pieces. I don't expect them to stay in this, but it would be great to be wrong about it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 06:10 PM)

Team had a tough road trip, bunch of guys were on the DL, etc. They aren't done and they will get back into 1st at some point this year. Book it.

The other thing to remember is that the Tigers started off by ripping 6 in a row through the Twins and the Royals.

Although they did just whip the Angels 3/4 before us...no excuse they didn't face Weaver, because the Tigers didn't use Verlander in that series.

We have to take care of business against the Twins. Nothing less than 2/3, because the Angels are going to be tough for the rest of the season.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 08:10 PM)

Forgetting about this weeks debacle, I'm surprised the Sox have been in first place this late in the season p begin with. It's a shame this is the week they sucked but it's also hard to be optimistic about this team going through the season.

Haven't we seem this before? Extended slump by a team? Check. Big hitters sucking for an extended period. Check. A team that seems to always have a crapp second half of a seaosn? So far, check

KW seriously needs to look at dumping players --IF THIS LOSING CONTINUES. If we are 4-5 out on July 31, I wouldn't be shy about subtracting and shedding payroll in the slightest. Of course we all know KW won't do that for various reasons ranging from PR to stubborness to stupidity.

Bob

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 07:24 PM)
I was going for something different. Screw cliches.

Easy killer . I'm never a hater ,100% support here. I think Robin's been too inflexible . Somewhat the opposite of the platooning a few of us expected . Gotta get all facets working at the same time for an extended period. Tigers just seem to turn it on when they want to and Sox pucker up.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

I'm shocked the team has done as well as they have. I had them losing 90+, but as someone mentioned before this story has happened many MANY times. Except for 2008 The only way they can make the playoffs is to run and hide early. This team doesn't have the ability to fight from behind. Hasn't for years. Call it bad luck, call it a lack of toughness, but this team is done. They might sniff close to first again, maybe get .5 up on Detroit, but they're hot and have shown the ability to turn it on and go off in the second half. The White Sox havent and won't in my opinion.

Relying on a rookie pen and an inconsistant offense. Coupled with long DL trips for starters who even when healthy weren't performing like a team in the pennant. I hope Robin has the guts that Ozzie never did and makes a drastic change to the starting line-up. It's needed and it's the only way they have any sort of chance to make any kind of run... I just don't see it (massive changes or a run) on the horizon.

By the way, I'm in NO WAY happy to think this. It pisses me off to think so negatively, but history doesn't give me a choice and it's such a bummer...

Edited by Cali

The Sox are done if ...

The starting pitching staff resembles the staff that pitched on that last road trip. Sad thing is if Floyd and Danks were effective and healthy this entire season we might have had a chance to win the division.

The Sox have a chance to make the playoffs as wildcard if ...

- The team has another nine or 10 game winning streak in it. I never thought the Sox could win that many in a row and they did it earlier this year. It also would help to win eight of every 10 at home the rest of the way because I think our road magic is gone. Team will be lucky to go .500 on road rest of the way after that pathetic road trip.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 09:42 PM)
The Sox are done if ...

The starting pitching staff resembles the staff that pitched on that last road trip. Sad thing is if Floyd and Danks were effective and healthy this entire season we might have had a chance to win the division.

The Sox have a chance to make the playoffs as wildcard if ...

- The team has another nine or 10 game winning streak in it. I never thought the Sox could win that many in a row and they did it earlier this year. It also would help to win eight of every 10 at home the rest of the way because I think our road magic is gone. Team will be lucky to go .500 on road rest of the way after that pathetic road trip.

Sox are done if they don't start hitting consistently. But like many said...it's still early. And yes...we do need another streak...a few of them actually. I'm not that concerned with the pitching. I'm concerned with Paulie's wrist. Dunn's complete disappearance. Beckham will never contribute consistently...just overall offensive production.

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 04:51 AM)
even if the sox make the post-season, they're one-and-done. detroit is hot right now. yankees or rangers will be in the world series IMO

Well I guess we should just quit now huh?

This team can suprise a lot of people if they can get in the playoffs. Yes, they have had a rough patch as of late but we are in the thick of things and have a long way to go yet. The Tigers had a rough patch of going 3-7 at the end of May into June just like we are having now. It happens to most teams throughout the year. A very nice 3 game homestand vs the Twins can turn this thing back around.

Oh and if KW brings us another starting pitcher- i like our chances even more. Call me crazy, but I still believe we will win the AL central!

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 04:51 AM)
even if the sox make the post-season, they're one-and-done. detroit is hot right now. yankees or rangers will be in the world series IMO

If a rotation of Carpenter, Garcia, Lohse, & EJax can win the World Series, I don't see how the Sox will be automatically one-and-done.