IS THIS THE END OF OUR FAITHFUL HEROES?

southsider2k5

It looks really grim right now. Something has to happen with Konerko for there to be any hope. AJ has to get hot again. Starters other than Sale, Peavy, and Quintana can't totally suck. The bullpen has to nail down important games.

It's tough to imagine catching a team that's gone 27-13 and looks to maintain that pace.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 07:58 AM)
If a rotation of Carpenter, Garcia, Lohse, & EJax can win the World Series, I don't see how the Sox will be automatically one-and-done.

especially since they have a sweep against the best team in baseball, in the Texas Rangers.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 08:42 AM)
especially since they have a sweep against the best team in baseball, in the Texas Rangers.

And they have already had one 9 game winning streak. Who is to say this team cant get hot again soon? The bats have come out cold since the ASB but once they can get going again and KW can swing a deal for a SP this team can DEFINITLEY make a run at this thing. The Tigers are hot right now, but they haven't won anything yet!

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 08:21 AM)
An offensive slump coupled with a pitching staff decimated by injuries has made for a bad week of baseball. Guess what? This was a pretty good offense before the asb so they aren't going to slump forever and we're about to add 3 quality pitchers to the staff, this team will be just fine. Everyone needs to calm the f*** down.

I think goes here too.

I think we will play better, I am just not sure if we can keep pace with the Tigers. I think their big run has started. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up in the 95 win range, and I don't think we can keep pace with that.

QUOTE (Wedge @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 08:25 AM)
It looks really grim right now. Something has to happen with Konerko for there to be any hope. AJ has to get hot again. Starters other than Sale, Peavy, and Quintana can't totally suck. The bullpen has to nail down important games.

It's tough to imagine catching a team that's gone 27-13 and looks to maintain that pace.

Because there's 0 chance that Detroit maintains that pace.

They're hot right now but they'll come back to earth very soon.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 08:31 AM)
Because there's 0 chance that Detroit maintains that pace.

They're hot right now but they'll come back to earth very soon.

but will we be anything but a 500 team the rest of the way? I doubt it.

QUOTE (Wedge @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 09:36 AM)
but will we be anything but a 500 team the rest of the way? I doubt it.

They went into the ASB pretty hot. They came out cold. That does not mean they cant catch fire again. Once the bats get going we are in great shape. Konerko needs to get going again and the other guys need to step up as well. I'm talking about guys like Beckham, Ramirez and Viciedo. And yes this team will be better than .500 the rest of the way. I am predicting 90 games wins this thing. Can the Sox go 40-27 the rest of the way? I think so.

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 09:26 PM)
The other thing to remember is that the Tigers started off by ripping 6 in a row through the Twins and the Royals.

Although they did just whip the Angels 3/4 before us...no excuse they didn't face Weaver, because the Tigers didn't use Verlander in that series.

We have to take care of business against the Twins. Nothing less than 2/3, because the Angels are going to be tough for the rest of the season.

This is something the Sox fail to do over the years. They can look like world beaters and take 3/4 from the Yankees then lose 2/3 to the Royals.

I feel like the Sox are still in it. They have played much better than I predicted (.500 or a few games under) but right now at this very minute man, it is hard to watch! There are a lot of concerns, that's for sure. Konerko's slump/wrist; Dunn; rookie bullpen; starting pitchers failing to hold lead; Beckhams anemic bat; etc., etc. But I'm still in. :gosox1:

Edited by BigEdWalsh

This is just soooooo familiar. The white sox of the past 6 years have so consistently failed when the moment strikes. But I loved that '10 team, and I love this team, and I really hope that they can put it back together and get into the playoffs.

I'm encouraged by the fact this slump is coming now, before the deadline when we can do something about it, as opposed to mid to late august, as it happened in every other recent playoff year.

I know the tendency is to jump off the bandwagon when any team loses 5 in a row or 8 of 10, but the reality is that every team that wins a division at 90-95 game goes through 1-2 ten game stretches like this.

As long as we can stop the bleeding and win THIS SERIES, I think we are still in it and still fine.

If we lose a home series to a sub .500 team.....well look out below.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 09:51 AM)
I'm encouraged by the fact this slump is coming now, before the deadline when we can do something about it, as opposed to mid to late august, as it happened in every other recent playoff year.

I know the tendency is to jump off the bandwagon when any team loses 5 in a row or 8 of 10, but the reality is that every team that wins a division at 90-95 game goes through 1-2 ten game stretches like this.

As long as we can stop the bleeding and win THIS SERIES, I think we are still in it and still fine.

If we lose a home series to a sub .500 team.....well look out below.

I think the most important thing is how we respond the 2nd and 3rd game of this Twins series and against the Rangers/Angels.

Already am conditioning myself to a loss against Liriano...no different than Sabathia and Santana.

At worst, 2-4, 3-3 would be satisfactory and 4-2 would be great.

Then, I think we get the Twins on the road again.

We're going to have to get a sweep here or there. But 2/3 at Minnesota's about the best we can expect.

That would put us somewhere between 4-8 games over .500 at the end of the 16/19 road trip. Of course, then we get the Angels at home.

If they are serious get the best SP available. I have a sneaking suspicion that Danks will be shutdown for the season after the trade deadline. If they don't have a suitable replacement for him in place, I don't think they go to the postseason.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 12:21 PM)
If they are serious get the best SP available. I have a sneaking suspicion that Danks will be shutdown for the season after the trade deadline. If they don't have a suitable replacement for him in place, I don't think they go to the postseason.

Then you wonder how long Sale and Quintana is going to hold up. Hitting and confidence in the pen is the bigger ? to me. I doubt the 71 Orioles staff could win with this group right now.

I want to see how Humer does on his next start. Even before this series the Tigers were putting up a lot of runs against the Angels.

The sad thing is the Tigers have lot more for negotiating trades than the Sox.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 12:55 PM)
Then you wonder how long Sale and Quintana is going to hold up. Hitting and confidence in the pen is the bigger ? to me. I doubt the 71 Orioles staff could win with this group right now.

I want to see how Humber does on his next start. Even before this series the Tigers were putting up a lot of runs against the Angels.

The sad thing is the Tigers have lot more for negotiating trades than the Sox.

I'd rather see Humber replaced before the weekend. We've seen enough.

At the very least, they need to get a replacement level guy on par with Floyd.

If Danks returns healthy, that could put the Sox over the top for postseason baseball, but I'm not counting on him coming back.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 10:42 PM)
The Sox are done if ...

The starting pitching staff resembles the staff that pitched on that last road trip. Sad thing is if Floyd and Danks were effective and healthy this entire season we might have had a chance to win the division.

Yeah, cuz we're DONE with 70+ games yet to play

The Sox have a chance to make the playoffs as wildcard if ...

The team has another nine or 10 game winning streak in it. I never thought the Sox could win that many in a row and they did it earlier this year. It also would help to win eight of every 10 at home the rest of the way because I think our road magic is gone. Team will be lucky to go .500 on road rest of the way after that pathetic road trip.

As would most teams at any time of the year.

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 04:51 AM)
even if the sox make the post-season, they're one-and-done. detroit is hot right now. yankees or rangers will be in the world series IMO

Man don't go too far out on that limb. You guys kill me, one bad road trip does not define a season. This team can compete, and will until the end. :gosox1: