Tigers Acquire Sanchez and Infante from Marlins

Heads22

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 05:10 PM)
Agree completely, I've never seen a fan base so eager to quit and start selling. We were in first place as recently as two days ago. We are currently 1 1/2 games out of the division lead and 1 game out of a wild card spot. There is still a ton of baseball left and we're right there. The non-stop panic on this site really needs to stop.

Also, Sanchez and Infante are not impact players. They will help the Tigers some, but let's not pretend they're world beaters.

I'm not saying quit the season, or white flag is. I am saying the Tigers deserve some respect.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 05:10 PM)
They also had a number of players overperform last year. Jhonny Peralta came back down to earth and so did Brennan Boesch, but now Berry and Jackson have decided to be the flavor of the week. That team was fluky last season and they're fluky as of late. They don't scare me at all. And as long as they continue to spend recklessly, that's fine with me.

We also had some flukey first halves that probably won't be duplicated.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 05:04 PM)
This is a team that won 95 games last year, and pretty much replaced Victor Martinez with Prince Fielder. Now they just added two players that address their biggest weaknesses. They are a team to be respected. Are they beatable? Sure, if they beat themselves. This is the team with the most talent in the AL Central. They should be on a pedestal.

They're not the '27 Yankees. I'd bet against them winning 90 games this year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 05:12 PM)
We also had some flukey first halves that probably won't be duplicated.

And I'd still take our rotation (if healthy) over theirs. Defense too.

Beatable if they beat themselves? That's a joke.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 10:10 PM)
Agree completely, I've never seen a fan base so eager to quit and start selling. We were in first place as recently as two days ago. We are currently 1 1/2 games out of the division lead and 1 game out of a wild card spot. There is still a ton of baseball left and we're right there. The non-stop panic on this site really needs to stop.

if you'd have told me before the season we'd be 1.5 out of first on july 23, i'd have turned cartwheels.

with that said, there are a number of reasons i have doubts we'll be legit playoff contenders from here on out. i would never advocate white flag trades, but i think kw has to be judicious with any moves he makes at this point.

Edited by thedoctor

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 03:04 PM)
This is a team that won 95 games last year, and pretty much replaced Victor Martinez with Prince Fielder. Now they just added two players that address their biggest weaknesses. They are a team to be respected. Are they beatable? Sure, if they beat themselves. This is the team with the most talent in the AL Central. They should be on a pedestal.

And to be frank, they won 95 games cause they got hot late in the year. Most of the year they were a .500 team and in many ways they overachieved. They are beatable. They aren't the Rangers or Angels.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 11:32 PM)
And to be frank, they won 95 games cause they got hot late in the year. Most of the year they were a .500 team and in many ways they overachieved. They are beatable. They aren't the Rangers or Angels.

If Fister performs in the 2nd half like he did last year, then sure, they can get to 95 games with a healthy squad. However, I believe he has 2 DL trips already this year. They do finish off the year with 13 games against teams that will likely be pitching AAA scrubs though so 95 wins is possible with a hot August. Thing is, if they do win 95 games this year, you tip your cap and go for the wild card.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 05:17 PM)
And I'd still take our rotation (if healthy) over theirs. Defense too.

Beatable if they beat themselves? That's a joke.

Health is a consideration though.

Our preseason #1 pitcher is a best case scenario for late August. Peavy and Sale could have their arms fall off tomorrow and no one would be surprised. Humber still hasn't gotten back on track, and god only knows what you get with Gavin Floyd. Quintana could also fall apart at anytime.

The Tigers are now back with Verlander, Fister, Sanchez, Porcello, and Scherzer. I don't know that our rotation is that good with Danks out.

Defense is the one clear win for us. The Tigers defense is awful, but just got better today with Infante. They can lose a guy like that on the offensive end because of all of the firepower that they have.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 05:32 PM)

I think the Rangers are the clear best team in the AL. After that, I might put the Angels under the Tigers with their starting pitcher problems.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 11:37 PM)
Defense is the one clear win for us. The Tigers defense is awful, but just got better today with Infante. They can lose a guy like that on the offensive end because of all of the firepower that they have.

I said this over the weekend, but the Tigers 3/4 hitters are playing awesome baseball right now. If Sox 3/4 continue to slump, then they probably have little chance to stay with the Tigers.

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 05:27 PM)
if you'd have told me before the season we'd be 1.5 out of first on july 23, i'd have turned cartwheels.

with that said, there are a number of reasons i have doubts we'll be legit playoff contenders from here on out. i would never advocate white flag trades, but i think kw has to be judicious with any moves he makes at this point.

That's the thing. I am thrilled with how this team has played this year. I just don't think they will be Detroit.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 10:39 PM)
That's the thing. I am thrilled with how this team has played this year. I just don't think they will be Detroit.

You know what sucks? So few home games in July when the Sox are in contention. That would have been a great way to ensure good crowds.

Slav you forgot to mention Valverde and Fister as having ridiculous over achieving years.

Detroit really isn't that good.

As for Peavy and Sale's "health issues" well at this point of the season we're all paranoid for no reason. They're as healthy as any two pitchers in baseball.

Detroit isn't winning 95 games and we'll be fighting with them until the end.

i agree that the tigers aren't that good. we aren't, either.

this is pretty much the main reason i'm not in an "all-in" type mode and demanding kw make a corollary move to what the tigers just did.

we all know the central is weak. and in that weak division, the sox could absolutely win and head into the playoffs. where do we stack up from there, though?

(and yes, i know, once you get in anything can happen.)

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 11:59 PM)
i agree that the tigers aren't that good. we aren't, either.

They're pretty darn good. I feel like they have an underrated bullpen now and Boesch heating up over the last few weeks has made the bottom of that order a little more respectable. When you have a great 3/4 like theirs and a leadoff hitter having a breakout year like Jackson, you have the chance to have a good lineup.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 03:38 PM)
I think the Rangers are the clear best team in the AL. After that, I might put the Angels under the Tigers with their starting pitcher problems.

Angels have the best record in baseball since the end of April. They are playing fantastically and just took 2 out of 3 from the Rangers. From a rotation perspective, CJ Wilson and Weaver have been money. Haren should be back shortly. There offense is better (Trumbo, Trout, and Pujols is sick). They also are playing with no legit catcher (until Stewart comes backs) and have one of the best bullpen era's in baseball. Angels are also very very strong defensively.

Tigers have a similar rotation, well, until Haren comes back. Haren/Weaver/Wilson is very strong from a post-season perspective. Tigers don't have anything close to that strong that they can throw out in the playoffs and there pen is not near as good either.

Tigers aren't that good of a team. They are a playoff contender who people overrated because they signed Prince (and didn't realize how much they played above their talent a year ago). I won't be surprised if they make the playoffs, but they aren't near as good as the upper echelon teams in the majors, imo.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 05:05 PM)
Angels have the best record in baseball since the end of April. They are playing fantastically and just took 2 out of 3 from the Rangers. From a rotation perspective, CJ Wilson and Weaver have been money. Haren should be back shortly. There offense is better (Trumbo, Trout, and Pujols is sick). They also are playing with no legit catcher (until Stewart comes backs) and have one of the best bullpen era's in baseball. Angels are also very very strong defensively.

Tigers have a similar rotation, well, until Haren comes back. Haren/Weaver/Wilson is very strong from a post-season perspective. Tigers don't have anything close to that strong that they can throw out in the playoffs and there pen is not near as good either.

Tigers aren't that good of a team. They are a playoff contender who people overrated because they signed Prince (and didn't realize how much they played above their talent a year ago). I won't be surprised if they make the playoffs, but they aren't near as good as the upper echelon teams in the majors, imo.

I agree...and Haren came back last night and pitched against the Rangers. Is supposedly pain-free.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 12:05 AM)

What's the deal with Haren this year? Velocity seems down. And yes, I do agree the Angels are the best team in the majors.