Tigers Acquire Sanchez and Infante from Marlins

Heads22

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 04:08 PM)
I agree...and Haren came back last night and pitched against the Rangers. Is supposedly pain-free.

Yep. He looked good last night too. I'm waiting another start or two to see if he holds up, but when he's healthy, he's a real legit front of the rotation starter.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 06:05 PM)
Angels have the best record in baseball since the end of April. They are playing fantastically and just took 2 out of 3 from the Rangers. From a rotation perspective, CJ Wilson and Weaver have been money. Haren should be back shortly. There offense is better (Trumbo, Trout, and Pujols is sick). They also are playing with no legit catcher (until Stewart comes backs) and have one of the best bullpen era's in baseball. Angels are also very very strong defensively.

Tigers have a similar rotation, well, until Haren comes back. Haren/Weaver/Wilson is very strong from a post-season perspective. Tigers don't have anything close to that strong that they can throw out in the playoffs and there pen is not near as good either.

Tigers aren't that good of a team. They are a playoff contender who people overrated because they signed Prince (and didn't realize how much they played above their talent a year ago). I won't be surprised if they make the playoffs, but they aren't near as good as the upper echelon teams in the majors, imo.

The Tigers are playing great baseball now too. I'm not sure how they aren't that good. They have the best 1/3/4 hitter combo in baseball. They also have the best #1 pitcher of any team in the playoff hunt for the AL. They have a lot of other great pieces fitting behind all of those players. Their rotation is as tough 1-5 as any team in all of baseball, plus a very good end of the pen. The weakness they have out there is their early pen guys. With that rotation, they can hide those guys pretty nicely, like the Sox did early this year when their rotation was pitching well.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 04:08 PM)
What's the deal with Haren this year? Velocity seems down. And yes, I do agree the Angels are the best team in the majors.

Haren had a back injury he was quiet about. Finally went on the DL to let it heal. It was really impacting his stuff. Came back yesterday and looked significantly better.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 04:11 PM)
The Tigers are playing great baseball now too. I'm not sure how they aren't that good. They have the best 1/3/4 hitter combo in baseball. They also have the best #1 pitcher of any team in the playoff hunt for the AL. They have a lot of other great pieces fitting behind all of those players. Their rotation is as tough 1-5 as any team in all of baseball, plus a very good end of the pen. The weakness they have out there is their early pen guys. With that rotation, they can hide those guys pretty nicely, like the Sox did early this year when their rotation was pitching well.

Tigers are playing great, for 2 weeks. They may keep it up, they may not. I fully expect them to have there struggles and I think the Sox have the talent to stay in contention. I think the Sox might actually be better, however, they aren't heatlhy, so right now, the Tigers are the better team.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 11:11 PM)

Hawk and Stone said this yesterday, but Villareal and Below have been outstanding for them this year. It looks like they finally got their bullpen figured out by getting rid of terrible pitchers like Balester.

When they got Cabrera, Andruw Miller didn't turn out to be anything like advertised. And it took Maybin four or five years and a change of scenery to finally become a really solid everyday player.

Castellanos and the RF they just promoted to AA ("the next Miguel Cabrera") are the two guys they didn't want to part with, and they accomplished the improvement of their team without parting with either one.

Not only that, they somehow qualified for a compensation pick (after the 2nd round) and were able to throw that into the package...whereas the Rays didn't even get one at all.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 06:13 PM)
Tigers are playing great, for 2 weeks. They may keep it up, they may not. I fully expect them to have there struggles and I think the Sox have the talent to stay in contention. I think the Sox might actually be better, however, they aren't heatlhy, so right now, the Tigers are the better team.

I'll take the Tigers over the Sox in a must win situation anyday.