Tigers Acquire Sanchez and Infante from Marlins

Heads22

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 10:10 PM)
FWIW Leyland said he does not expect him back this year.

Leyland also said he would be very shocked if the Tigers made any big trades. He said this on Friday evening of last week.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 09:53 PM)
This deal merely puts the Tigers in better position to compete with the White Sox.

THAT'S what I like to see! The Tigers just did what the White Sox did a couple of weeks ago, upgraded their worst position. Plus the Tigers gave up their #1 pitching AND #1 catching prospect for a 3rd/4th rotation pitcher and a 2B they traded for JACQUE JONES!!!

Yes, it makes the Tigers more dangerous. But, there are too many games and too many crazy things that can happen before we write off the Sox as AL Central winners.

I'm kind of surprised by this trade, I thought for sure DD would get Greinke and close the door on the division. I know he has a history with the Marlins but I think he made a mistake not shooting higher with this trade. Sanchez is not the kind of difference maker Greinke would have been. Detroit's rotation certainly got better, but will it be enough to take them deep into the postseason? I read that they also had their sights on Justin Upton but couldn't make that work. To me, it seems like this is their year to do it if they're going to do it.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 12:38 PM)
I'm kind of surprised by this trade, I thought for sure DD would get Greinke and close the door on the division. I know he has a history with the Marlins but I think he made a mistake not shooting higher with this trade. Sanchez is not the kind of difference maker Greinke would have been. Detroit's rotation certainly got better, but will it be enough to take them deep into the postseason? I read that they also had their sights on Justin Upton but couldn't make that work. To me, it seems like this is their year to do it if they're going to do it.

Why?

They will only get better in the next year or two.

They'll be adding Castellanos, Smyly, Albuquerque and MOST IMPORTANTLY, Victor Martinez as their DH.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 01:15 PM)
Why?

They will only get better in the next year or two.

They'll be adding Castellanos, Smyly, Albuquerque and MOST IMPORTANTLY, Victor Martinez as their DH.

You sure they get better? Castellanos is unproven and if he's anything like other highly-touted DET prospects (Andrew Miller, Jacob Turner), he could be overvalued (not to mention he's learning the outfield now and leaving 3b); Smyly has been hit hard at times and Alburquerque just had surgery on his elbow. Martinez is a stud, no doubt, but will be 34 and coming off major knee surgery after missing an entire season.

On another note, if Miami is imploding, I'd love to see KW make a call for Buehrle. What the hell. "In his past five starts, Buehrle is 4-1 with a 1.87 ERA and a strikeout-to-walk rate of 5.0 in that solid stretch of games."

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 03:58 PM)
You sure they get better? Castellanos is unproven and if he's anything like other highly-touted DET prospects (Andrew Miller, Jacob Turner), he could be overvalued (not to mention he's learning the outfield now and leaving 3b); Smyly has been hit hard at times and Alburquerque just had surgery on his elbow. Martinez is a stud, no doubt, but will be 34 and coming off major knee surgery after missing an entire season.

On another note, if Miami is imploding, I'd love to see KW make a call for Buehrle. What the hell. "In his past five starts, Buehrle is 4-1 with a 1.87 ERA and a strikeout-to-walk rate of 5.0 in that solid stretch of games."

Realistically, there's very few areas you can improve that Tigers team.

1) Moving Peralta off SS, trade or DH him (but Victor Martinez would take those abs)

2) More consistency from Porcello and Scherzer

3) Better results out of Boesch and Young...this is where Berry has been a godsend, but his pedigree says he's a one-year wonder

4) Permanent solution at 2B

5) For Avila to be anything resembling the offensive force he was in 2011

6) Bullpen, although Below, Villarreal (he becomes the closer in the next year or two), Dotel, Benoit and Valverde are coming around and definitely above average

7) Figuring out if Raburn will ever be serviceable again or dumping him, ala Inge

We can wonder about Castellanos and some of their other prospects, but they managed to produce:

1) Boesch

2) Raburn (good before this year)

3) Danny Worth

4) Dirks

5) Avila

In other words, they've arguably been more productive with position prospects than the White Sox. We can cite Dayan, DeAza and Beckham, but then it's unfair not to include Austin Jackson too, even though he was close to a finished product....they've worked to improve him, and Gordon has regressed mightily.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 03:58 PM)

Only if they get A LOT of cash for those last two years.