Harper vs. Trout

caulfield12

Who would you pick and why?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Harper or Trout?

• Bryce Harper
    • Mike Trout

2. (20) Bryce Harper, OF, Washington – Under Team Control through 2018

When I finished the initial version of this list a couple of weeks ago, Harper was #1. His placement at second on this list really has nothing to do with his July slump — where he’s finally looked human for the first time since arriving in the big leagues — he just got passed by an epic tornado of brilliance in Anaheim. Harper is still the premier young talent in the sport. Comparisons range from Josh Hamilton (with plate discipline) to Ken Griffey Jr, and outside of an injury or off the field issue, it’s hard to see any career trajectory for Harper that doesn’t end with him as the best player in baseball.

What he’s doing in the big leagues as a teenager is special, and I’d still take his future over any other player on the planet. But, right now, Harper is simply a good player who can be a solid piece on a winning team. By next year, he could be a superstar, but he’s not quite there yet, which is just fine, because he’s 19-years-old. His future is amazing. His present is very good. That was good enough for the top spot until last week, when the #1 spot on this list was finally just torn out of his hands through sheer force by…

1. (21) Mike Trout, OF, Anaheim Angels – Under Team Control through 2017

Since getting called up to the Majors, Trout has been the best player in baseball, and it hasn’t even been particularly close. At his current rate of performance, he’d average +10.3 WAR per 600 plate appearances. For his career, Babe Ruth averaged 10.0 WAR per 600 plate appearances. Yeah. There’s just not much left to say about what Trout is doing right now. He’s almost certainly not going to keep this up because no one can keep this up, but what we’re seeing is a 20-year-old with no real flaws in his game.

39 of his 107 hits have gone for extra bases. He’s 31 for 34 in base stealing. He’s an amazing defensive center fielder. Three times he’s tried to bunt his way on base, and three times he’s been successful. He makes contact, he hits for power, he doesn’t swing at pitches out of the zone, and he can run like the wind. The only way Trout could be better at baseball is if he was also a dynamite pitcher with a 99 mph fastball.

When I was polling baseball people for their opinions on Harper versus Trout, it came down mostly on Harper’s side. But then, over the last two weeks, I’ve had a half dozen people send me notes saying that they’ve changed their minds. What Mike Trout is doing right now is something we haven’t seen since Alex Rodriguez in 1996. 20-year-olds aren’t supposed to be the best player in baseball. Right now, Mike Trout probably is.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/2...rade-value-5-1/

It would be a lot more interesting if Trout was the one who was acting like a prick and prima donna and Harper was the good guy.

If I had to guess, I'd say it would go about 75% for Trout, 25% for Harper. Harper definitely projects to have more power over time (of the two), but it's really hard to find any weaknesses in Trout's game for now.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 05:12 AM)
It would be a lot more interesting if Trout was the one who was acting like a prick and prima donna and Harper was the good guy.

If I had to guess, I'd say it would go about 75% for Trout, 25% for Harper. Harper definitely projects to have more power over time (of the two), but it's really hard to find any weaknesses in Trout's game for now.

Yeah, I agree.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 10:18 AM)
Mike Trout is my favorite player in the majors. And to think I wanted the Sox to draft him, lol.

He is also my favorite player in the major and I have zero regrets shipping Kershaw for him in my Fantasy Keeper League.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 12:12 PM)

Why is Harper a prick again? What meaningful evidence is there to suggest that he's not a good person?

Edited by hammerhead johnson

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 12:29 PM)
He is also my favorite player in the major and I have zero regrets shipping Kershaw for him in my Fantasy Keeper League.

I drafted Trout in my keeper league last year and am incredibly happy i did. He is also quickly becoming my favorite non White Sox/ non-Buehrle player

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 12:04 PM)
Why is Harper a prick again? What meaningful evidence is there to suggest that he's not a good person?

I haven't seen anything. He's been nothing but a pro. He plays hard and seems to be a good guy and as a whole seems to be well grounded. Dude plays the game right thus far. And he sure has a massive ceiling.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 04:15 PM)
Harper has more power potential (not a fan of his swing, though) but Trout is quicker and more polished.

Are you kidding? I absolutely ADORE his swing. So much power, speed, and control behind it. He might hit 40 homers next year.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 01:14 AM)
Are you kidding? I absolutely ADORE his swing. So much power, speed, and control behind it. He might hit 40 homers next year.

There's a hitch in it. It's not as smooth as many historically good lefty batters. Griffey, Will Clark, Bonds...

PS I'm one of those mavericks that picked Harper over Trout in the poll.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 02:25 AM)
There's a hitch in it. It's not as smooth as many historically good lefty batters. Griffey, Will Clark, Bonds...

PS I'm one of those mavericks that picked Harper over Trout in the poll.

No there's not. He uses a unique toe tap as a timing mechanism. His actual swing is as sweet as any.

• 2 weeks later...