As of now the seeding

Wildcard: Baltimore #5 at Oakland #4

Wildcard winner vs. Texas #1

WHITE SOX #3 at New York #2

WHITE SOX are 3 games out from #2 seed

And 7 games out from #1 seed

#2 seed is where it is at. #1 seed has to play first two

Games of Alds on the road.

Doesn't #2 seed also start the ALDS on the road? I thought that the team with home-field advantage now plays games 1-2 on the road and 3-5 at home.

AL Best Record/AL West:

Texas

Oakland -3

AL Central:

SOX

Detroit -3

AL East:

Baltimore

NY Yankees

AL Wild Card:

Oakland +½

Baltimore/NY Yankees

LA Angels -3

Detroit -5½

9/19 Games:

TOR @ NYY 1:05, 7:05

OAK @ DET 7:00 ESPN

SOX @ KC 8:10

TEX @ LAA 10:00 ESPN

BAL @ SEA 10:10

Edited by HickoryHuskers

Updated Baseball Prospectus Playoff Odds Report.

AL Central: Sox 81.9%, Detroit 18.1%

AL East: Yankees 72.1%, Baltimore 27.9%

AL West: Texas 88.0%, Oakland 10.5%, Angels 1.5%

Wild Card: Oakland 71.6%, Baltimore 49.6%, Angels 32.7%, Yankees 23.2%, Texas 11.8%, Detroit 6.0%, Tampa Bay 4.0%, Sox 1.1%

One-day total (Div+WC) percentage changes:

Angels +4.5%

Baltimore +4.4%

Detroit +2.8%

Sox +0.8%

Texas -0.2%

Yankees -0.8%

Tampa Bay -3.9%

Oakland -7.6%

Let's play the What If game....

If, as expected, Guthrie handcuffs the Sox tomorrow and we get shut out a second day in a row, and if Detroit wins and they are one out ... do you think the Tigers are locks to win the division considering their easy schedule compared to the Sox the rest of the way? Will you be alarmed if it's one game after tomorrow?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 10:52 PM)

If, as expected, Guthrie handcuffs the Sox tomorrow and we get shut out a second day in a row, and if Detroit wins and they are one out ... do you think the Tigers are locks to win the division considering their easy schedule compared to the Sox the rest of the way? Will you be alarmed if it's one game after tomorrow?

Alarmed yes, Detroit a lock? By no means. Detroit goes to play on the road then and they are a very mediocre road team.

With that said, win tomorrow and go A's.

EDIT: Now that I look at schedule Detroit has 8 straight at home still before they hit the road. Sox wanna be at least 2 games with 6 to go.

Edited by justBLAZE

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 04:55 AM)
Alarmed yes, Detroit a lock? By no means. Detroit goes to play on the road then and they are a very mediocre road team.

With that said, win tomorrow and go A's.

Those playoff percentage stats piss me off. They mean nothing. So Sox were 80 percent a day ago? What if Detroit is one-game out after tomorrow? Is Detroit suddenly 50 percent and Sox 50?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 11:20 PM)
Those playoff percentage stats piss me off. They mean nothing. So Sox were 80 percent a day ago? What if Detroit is one-game out after tomorrow? Is Detroit suddenly 50 percent and Sox 50?

Playoff percentages are bulls*** IMHO. They go exactly how you described. I dont look at them at all.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 08:52 PM)

What exactly about Detroits play this season makes you believe it's all going to suddenly click when it's hasn't ALL YEAR?

All those years when the Sox had more talent but were always chasing the Twins, why didn't the talent overcome then? Why is Detroit somehow special?

The Story of the Central in 2012 is this:

Sox can't beat Detroit or KC but they have beaten everyone else. (69-43 against everyone else)

Detroit owns the Sox but is inconsistent against everyone else. (67-63 against everyone else)

After tomorrow the Sox play everyone else. Detroit plays everyone else too. Sox are ahead so, as far as I'm concerned that's where they'll stay.

Edited by Cali

Essentially, the White Sox are basically .500 against the Tigers/Royals/Twins.

and 13-14 games over .500 against the rest of baseball.

Another way of looking at it. The problem is that we're facing a hot and desperate Angels team, on the road, with two of their better pitchers going. Meanwhile, the Tigers face the absymal Royals at home.

Best case scenario, we're looking at probably losing another game in the standings there. And we've got the pesky Rays still, with Price still possibly in their rotation down the stretch to clinch the Cy Young.

DET has 8 more home games in a row, where they're almost impossible to beat. And they've survived the injury to Max Scherzer and still ended up winning that game

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 11:18 PM)
Essentially, the White Sox are basically .500 against the Tigers/Royals/Twins.

and 13-14 games over .500 against the rest of baseball.

Another way of looking at it. The problem is that we're facing a hot and desperate Angels team, on the road, with two of their better pitchers going. Meanwhile, the Tigers face the absymal Royals at home.

Best case scenario, we're looking at probably losing another game in the standings there. And we've got the pesky Rays still, with Price still possibly in their rotation down the stretch to clinch the Cy Young.

DET has 8 more home games in a row, where they're almost impossible to beat. And they've survived the injury to Max Scherzer and still ended up winning that game

I don't think KC will lay down and die for Detroit. They are gonna relish the spoiler roll. Don't forget last time out KC swept the Tigers.

QUOTE (Cali @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 05:52 AM)
What exactly about Detroits play this season makes you believe it's all going to suddenly click when it's hasn't ALL YEAR?

All those years when the Sox had more talent but were always chasing the Twins, why didn't the talent overcome then? Why is Detroit somehow special?

The Story of the Central in 2012 is this:

Sox can't beat Detroit or KC but they have beaten everyone else. (69-43 against everyone else)

Detroit owns the Sox but is inconsistent against everyone else. (67-63 against everyone else)

After tomorrow the Sox play everyone else. Detroit plays everyone else too. Sox are ahead so, as far as I'm concerned that's where they'll stay.

I just have this gut feeling that the Sox are the ones to lead all season and Detroit, the overwhelming favorite to start the season, will sweep past us at the end laughing all the way. I just picture it for some reason.