White Sox Rumor Catch-All

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 09:35 AM)
If the offense stays fairly good I don't think that you need an "Ace". If K.W. could find someone who can keep the team in the game for 6 - 7 innings every 5th day, that may be all you need to get to the playoffs. Then you hope that 2 - 3 of the starters are good enough, with live arms to take it from there.

I would hope that we find someone, who I don't know, that could help out in August. I have a feeling that Santiago may help out a lot in September if he can be stretched out by then. Other than that I think that right now you have to hope that Peavy can last a while longer and that Humber and Floyd can at least give you a chance every time out.

The other thing it needs to be is better than someone in our top 6. And really, there aren't a whole lot of guys out there who are obviously better than what the Sox can throw out right now who would be available for little.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 07:36 AM)
The other thing it needs to be is better than someone in our top 6. And really, there aren't a whole lot of guys out there who are obviously better than what the Sox can throw out right now who would be available for little.

True, but if anyone can find them, I trust K.W. can. I'm kind of hoping that the Cubs are so frustrated with Dempster that K.W. can swoop in and get him at a reasonable cost. Dempster may not be the answer either, but I think that he would be worth a shot.

True, but if anyone can find them, I trust K.W. can. I'm kind of hoping that the Cubs are so frustrated with Dempster that K.W. can swoop in and get him at a reasonable cost. Dempster may not be the answer either, but I think that he would be worth a shot.

With Quintana coming back down to earth, another starter may not be a bad idea.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 08:39 AM)

The Cubs can't move Dempster without his approval. Forget about Dempster, for whatever reason, he does NOT want to pitch for the White Sox.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 09:47 AM)
The Cubs can't move Dempster without his approval. Forget about Dempster, for whatever reason, he does NOT want to pitch for the White Sox.

So, then I ask, who is left who is both better than Floyd/Humber/Quintana and available at a reasonable price? There are guys available who are better (Lee) but the Sox simply aren't in that game. We stole Liriano to fill that 6th starter spot.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 07:59 AM)
So, then I ask, who is left who is both better than Floyd/Humber/Quintana and available at a reasonable price? There are guys available who are better (Lee) but the Sox simply aren't in that game. We stole Liriano to fill that 6th starter spot.

Better than those guys when? When those guys are "on", or close to it? Or better than those guys right now? It may not take much more than a corpse to pitch better than some of the performances lately.

I don't know who as I really don't follow other teams that closely. There are what, about 12 - 13 teams that would consider themselves out of it by now. There must be at least one of them with a #3 - 4 starter that could be gotten. These guys would be far from "ACE" quality, but maybe good enough to keep their team in the game for a few weeks.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 08:59 AM)

No one. Which is why the Sox are all but done unless the trade of a lifetime breaks apart in the next six hours or so.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 10:07 AM)
Better than those guys when? When those guys are "on", or close to it? Or better than those guys right now? It may not take much more than a corpse to pitch better than some of the performances lately.

I don't know who as I really don't follow other teams that closely. There are what, about 12 - 13 teams that would consider themselves out of it by now. There must be at least one of them with a #3 - 4 starter that could be gotten. These guys would be far from "ACE" quality, but maybe good enough to keep their team in the game for a few weeks.

Better than those guys should be over the last 2 months, counting the likely ups and downs. Let's say that they each gave average ERA's in the range of 4.5-5. Who is better and available?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 09:27 AM)
They may get a utility IF or middle reliever. I can't see a realistic scenario that adds a starter or starting pitcher.

You're probably right, however I just think KW is far to quiet since Sunday, usually when he is quiet he is working on something. I just think KW is all in this trading season. He has left his stamp already on this year but I don't think he is done, personally I think his biggest move is yet to come. Im probably wrong, and just wishing for it but I just think Kw is on a mission

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 09:27 AM)
They may get a utility IF or middle reliever. I can't see a realistic scenario that adds a starter or starting pitcher.

I wouldn't be shocked to see them acquire another starter, perhaps a guy like Rock has been mentioning for a few days now, Joe Saunders. But it's doubtful.

I still believe Quintana is the real deal. He's run into some trouble in the early innings of his last few starts, only to battle back and give us some decent innings. He's run up against the Twins twice now, who are at or near the top of the League in runs scored since the ASB, and the other mediocre start he had was in NY.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 09:42 AM)
I wouldn't be shocked to see them acquire another starter, perhaps a guy like Rock has been mentioning for a few days now, Joe Saunders. But it's doubtful.

I still believe Quintana is the real deal. He's run into some trouble in the early innings of his last few starts, only to battle back and give us some decent innings. He's run up against the Twins twice now, who are at or near the top of the League in runs scored since the ASB, and the other mediocre start he had was in NY.

Willingham just kicks Quintana's ass. He just need to start throwing at him or something.

Although I would love Joe Saunders, AZ is trying to add not sell. Lastest reports say they are after an ace and was looking at Upton for Cliff Lee

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

QUOTE (striker @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 10:55 AM)
I think we need another #1 or #2 starter, unless we go to a 6 man rotation. None of Floyd, Quintana, Liriano, Peavy, Humber and Sale have fatigue and injury written all over them.

I also think we have a small window of opportunity to win. Pierzynski and Peavy are free agents. Floyd and Youkilis have options.

QUOTE (striker @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 09:55 AM)
I think we need another #1 or #2 starter, unless we go to a 6 man rotation. None of Floyd, Quintana, Liriano, Peavy, Humber and Sale have fatigue and injury written all over them.

I agree man, but everyone here thinks there is no chance we have the assets. I just don't have faith in the rotation holding up the rest of the season and hopefully for a extended October run. If Peavy or Sale go down we are beyond screwed not only for the pennant chase but for a playoff series. We have seen pitching, not a world beating offense wins championships in October. I just would feel a lot more comfortable with another proven veteran starter, doesn't have to be an ace but a solid 2 or 3. I would feel a heck more comfortable even with someone like Demps. I think KW needs a starter and Utlitly INF before 3PM.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 08:47 AM)

Clearly it would hurt his standing with meathead Cubdom. He knows with his personality he's got a job for life with the organization as long as the moron fans continue to love him.

There were people upset with losing Reed Mantle - Cubs fans are the worst.

I believe the Quintana you saw yesterday is more of the Quintana your going to get than the 2.3 ERA one. But Im sure Ill be barked at by a few people just like during his last start.

That being said I dont believe we acquire a starter. Kenny isnt done adding though(Utility IF help and Bullpen).

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 07:16 AM)
No, they do not have 5 solid starters. I'm not sure if they have 2 - 3 currently. Quintana the last couple of starts, Sale both have dead arms, who knows if they can pitch worth a s*** the rest of the way. Peavy hasn't pitched a full season in years, he too is very likely to have a dead arm before long. Humber, Floyd, who knows what they're going to provide.

I said it in another thread, but the safest bet of bunch right now may be Lariano, and who really knows with him too. The Sox most definitely do not have 5 dependable starters right now and I fear that this could be their undoing this season.

Peavy, Sale, Floyd, Liriano and Quintana is a solid rotation. If you think only 2 or 3 of them are solid, you have extremely unrealistic expectations. That's not to say they don't come with concerns, but the White Sox most definitely have a solid rotation, one through five.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 10:05 AM)
Peavy, Sale, Floyd, Liriano and Quintana is a solid rotation. If you think only 2 or 3 of them are solid, you have extremely unrealistic expectations. That's not to say they don't come with concerns, but the White Sox most definitely have a solid rotation, one through five.

I don't think he is questioning whether or not he feel they are good/solid enough stuff wise, he is questioning whether or not they can hold up for the next two months plus a post season. And he makes a valid point with the exception of Liriano and Floyd, the rest of those guys have either never pitched in Aug and Sept in the bigs or that many innings or haven't pitched in Aug/Sept after a whole season in 2 years. Those should be more then concerns it's downright scary. Especailly if you look how these pitchers have performed their past starts.