White Sox Rumor Catch-All

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 09:04 AM)
I believe the Quintana you saw yesterday is more of the Quintana your going to get than the 2.3 ERA one. But Im sure Ill be barked at by a few people just like during his last start.

That being said I dont believe we acquire a starter. Kenny isnt done adding though(Utility IF help and Bullpen).

I think it's probably somewhere in between.

He wasn't at all sharp at the beginning of the game, but as he settled in, you could see he started hitting his spots a lot more often and getting much easier outs.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 11:01 AM)
I agree man, but everyone here thinks there is no chance we have the assets. I just don't have faith in the rotation holding up the rest of the season and hopefully for a extended October run. If Peavy or Sale go down we are beyond screwed not only for the pennant chase but for a playoff series. We have seen pitching, not a world beating offense wins championships in October. I just would feel a lot more comfortable with another proven veteran starter, doesn't have to be an ace but a solid 2 or 3. I would feel a heck more comfortable even with someone like Demps. I think KW needs a starter and Utlitly INF before 3PM.

If there were one available at a reasonable price, we'd all see the benefit in having an additional upper rotation starter, but seriously, we don't have the assets and there aren't obvious ones available. Joe Saunders was the only name I saw in reply, and he might fill some innings, but he's not a solid 2 or 3 in the AL.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 10:04 AM)
I believe the Quintana you saw yesterday is more of the Quintana your going to get than the 2.3 ERA one. But Im sure Ill be barked at by a few people just like during his last start.

That being said I dont believe we acquire a starter. Kenny isnt done adding though(Utility IF help and Bullpen).

I think he's a poor man's Buerhle myself. When he's off a bit, he's going to get rocked, just like Buerhle gets rocked for stretches. I think he'll bounce back. If he can put the ball where he wants to put it, you don't have to have much stuff.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 03:23 PM)
I think he's a poor man's Buerhle myself. When he's off a bit, he's going to get rocked, just like Buerhle gets rocked for stretches. I think he'll bounce back. If he can put the ball where he wants to put it, you don't have to have much stuff.

And he needs his defense to play well behind him. There's been a few games where his defense hurt him this season.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 10:26 AM)
Are you guys starting to think that KW really is done, or is this just the calm before the WTF storm?

I think he is done for the most part (other than a small move). I just don't think he has the ammo to do anything major, especially since the Rangers seem to be looking for a few pieces.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 10:27 AM)
It's scary that Tigers are looking for a middle of the order bat though. Unfortunately, they probably finally realized that having a terrible #5 hitter behind a great 3/4 can really hurt you.

About to post that, that's scary if they get a RBI guy for 5. Hopefully this happens soon so KW has time to respond. I wouldn't be shocked if they get Soriano.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 09:07 AM)
Better than those guys when? When those guys are "on", or close to it? Or better than those guys right now? It may not take much more than a corpse to pitch better than some of the performances lately.

I don't know who as I really don't follow other teams that closely. There are what, about 12 - 13 teams that would consider themselves out of it by now. There must be at least one of them with a #3 - 4 starter that could be gotten. These guys would be far from "ACE" quality, but maybe good enough to keep their team in the game for a few weeks.

I know you are all about doubting the pitchers, but Floyd has been pretty good his last six starts. his WHIP has been high because of a lot of walks, but I think his ERA is something like 1.60

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 09:16 AM)
I don't think he is questioning whether or not he feel they are good/solid enough stuff wise, he is questioning whether or not they can hold up for the next two months plus a post season. And he makes a valid point with the exception of Liriano and Floyd, the rest of those guys have either never pitched in Aug and Sept in the bigs or that many innings or haven't pitched in Aug/Sept after a whole season in 2 years. Those should be more then concerns it's downright scary. Especailly if you look how these pitchers have performed their past starts.

Thank you; it's a good feeling to have your back covered when you have to step away for a while.

The Sox have a very solid rotation when they are all healthy and rested. Quite frankly, they are not currently in that state.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 03:30 PM)
I know you are all about doubting the pitchers, but Floyd has been pretty good his last six starts. his WHIP has been high because of a lot of walks, but I think his ERA is something like 1.60

He's been the best pitcher for the Sox during that stretch (ERA wise), correct?

I also believe we may see KW biggest move yet today, I don't think there is any doubt he is out there trying. I'll say this much KW is always a hot topic on deadline day and for everything to be this quiet concerning the Sox right now I think something is in the works. But like Blaze said it doesn't always come to furition. But I do see atleast a utility guy being traded for at the very least today.

What bat are the Tigers going to get?

Young and Boesch are up and down, but is Soriano really he answer? He would obviously DH, well, not sure...it's a crapshoot who is worse out there, him or Delmon. Soriano might actually be a defensive upgrade there, funny as it might seem.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 10:36 AM)

Young and Boesch are up and down, but is Soriano really he answer? He would obviously DH, well, not sure...it's a crapshoot who is worse out there, him or Delmon. Soriano might actually be a defensive upgrade there, funny as it might seem.

I'd love for them to get Soriano. Easy out if you don't throw him any fastballs.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 03:36 PM)

Soriano's had a good year at the plate, especially since he went to a lighter bat in May. Honestly, if the rumors are true that the Cubs are willing to pick up a large portion of his remaining contract, then I'm surprised more teams aren't interested.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 09:30 AM)

I think that this was debated on another thread recently, but I tend to disagree with this. Floyd has been at best "okay" recently. He is very fortunate that all those walks haven't come back to bite him much.

I actually like Gavin Floyd and keep hoping that "busts out" to be the pitcher that I think he can be. In fact, I'm not going to go back and find it, but in a March - April prediction thread I think I said that Gavin would lead the Sox in victories this season. To say that he has been very good of late I think is an overstatement, he has however, been a little lucky.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 09:38 AM)
Soriano's had a good year at the plate, especially since he went to a lighter bat in May. Honestly, if the rumors are true that the Cubs are willing to pick up a large portion of his remaining contract, then I'm surprised more teams aren't interested.

Well, I'd definitely pick him over Juan Pierre, in our dream scenario where we're trading half our minor league system and Viciedo for Felix Hernandez.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 03:41 PM)
Marlins begging people to take Carlos Lee of their hands, what a joke of an organization.

I said it in the Marlins thread yesterday, but I can't see how that organization rebounds from this year in the next 2-3 years.

That would be pretty hilarious if we brought back C-Lee and Uribe, but never going to happen in a million years...

At least not with Lee.

Pretty interesting Ozzie hasn't had much to say over the last couple of weeks. The team has been speaking more often than him, specifically on the Ramirez thing.

Wonder if he has a gag order from Loria and Samson?

Edited by caulfield12