Josh Johnson on the Block

Chisoxfn

Signed through 2013 and coming off a one hitter in which scouts from the Angels, Red Sox, and Rangers were all in attendance. Some rumors out there that the Sox have kicked the tires on Johnson as well.

Johnson missed the majority of the 2011 season.

What would the Sox be able to offer? Would the Sox look at moving Viciedo, Floyd, and Quintana? Would that be enough? Too much?

I lean to it being too much. Quintana is a pretty valuable chip, however, given how he's pitched at a young age, I have a hard time giving up a cost-controlled lefty that has looked as good as he has. That said, he could be a one year wonder as it isn't like he has stellar stuff. But boy can he pitch. He changes speeds well, uses the whole plate, etc.

I really don't expect the Sox to deal any more then one of their major league starters to get another starter. The exception to this rule would be if the club really thought Danks was coming back soon, in which case, you could have more flexibility to move 2 starters. However, with Peavy and Sale throwing a lot of innings, it makes sense to know that if/when Danks comes back, you have a 6th starter (probably Humber) who can pitch in long-relief and help out in a pinch.

I'd be more then willing to deal Mitchell and other prospects to get Johnson. The question is how expensive will he be. He's still really on the road back from missing the bulk of 2011, however, he looked great his last start. Velocity is still down a couple ticks from his pre-injury days.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 10:54 AM)
What would the Sox be able to offer? Would the Sox look at moving Viciedo, Floyd, and Quintana? Would that be enough? Too much?

Johnson's not worth that. One-hitter be damned, the dude's got an era over 4, a whip over 1.30, and is having the worst month of his season even with that performance.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 03:54 PM)

I wouldn't give up Q for him. Viciedo and Floyd and a prospect, yes. The problem is though that you have a team like the Rangers interested, and they can blow the Sox out of the water with the prospects they can give up. If the Marlins trade Hanley, then I'm sure Marlins would be interested in Olt.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 09:00 AM)
Johnson's not worth that. One-hitter be damned, the dude's got an era over 4, a whip over 1.30, and is having the worst month of his season even with that performance.

I don't disagree. However, with the Red Sox and Rangers involved and him potentially being the biggest name on the market (depending on whether Hamels/Greinke get moved), it means there will be some serious bids. If the Sox could buy lower on him, that would be great, as he's an upgrade in the rotation and would be valuable for another year.

I'd build the package around Floyd and other young players, however, if the Marlins are going to dump a bunch of guys, the question remains, are they looking to rebuild or are they purely looking to retool and give it another go next year. And if thats the case, unless you are getting other pretty good players, not sure why I'd move Johnson in a package centered around Floyd and one or 2 prospects.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 09:09 AM)
I'd wonder why the Marlins would want Floyd as a main piece for JJ.

They are going to want Quintana and/or Viciedo.

I wouldn't trade either of them for him.

I tend to agree with you. Sox are getting a lot younger and are doing a nice job of retooling. Q and V are a big part of that and while I'm open to trading some people, those two guys aren't that. If Johnson was cost-controlled for a little longer, sure, but given the Sox's financial restrictions (due in large part to Rios, Dunn, Konerko, and Danks contracts), it just doesn't make a ton of sense to me to get rid of some of the cheap guys we have (especially when the Sox don't have a lot of replacements looming).

If they could package Castro, Mitchell, and others for Johnson I'd be open, especially since the Sox are going to have to figure out how to do something when Peavy/Floyd potentially come off there books (depending on what they do with both players options). And then there is Youk as well.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 10:54 AM)

I lean to it being too much. Quintana is a pretty valuable chip, however, given how he's pitched at a young age, I have a hard time giving up a cost-controlled lefty that has looked as good as he has. That said, he could be a one year wonder as it isn't like he has stellar stuff. But boy can he pitch. He changes speeds well, uses the whole plate, etc.

I really don't expect the Sox to deal any more then one of their major league starters to get another starter. The exception to this rule would be if the club really thought Danks was coming back soon, in which case, you could have more flexibility to move 2 starters. However, with Peavy and Sale throwing a lot of innings, it makes sense to know that if/when Danks comes back, you have a 6th starter (probably Humber) who can pitch in long-relief and help out in a pinch.

I'd be more then willing to deal Mitchell and other prospects to get Johnson. The question is how expensive will he be. He's still really on the road back from missing the bulk of 2011, however, he looked great his last start. Velocity is still down a couple ticks from his pre-injury days.

We had a guy like that. His stuff wasn't stellar but he knew how to pitch. He is now with the Marlins. Let's not send another one of those their way.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 09:08 AM)
Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi

#Angels, looking for a starter, had a scout watching #Marlins RHP Josh Johnson last night. Believed to be special assignment.

If the Angels landed Johnson, what a great move. They have some nice prospects they could give up and he really gives them one hell of a rotation. I won't be surprised if the Angels/Rangers get into a battle on one of these high profile pitchers. I actually think Anaheim would be a good place for Greinke. Problem is they have too much money sunk into that rotation already and under the new CBA, I have a hard time giving up a guy that is going to walk for nothing (not even a couple draft picks) at the end of the year.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 10:14 AM)
I tend to agree with you. Sox are getting a lot younger and are doing a nice job of retooling. Q and V are a big part of that and while I'm open to trading some people, those two guys aren't that. If Johnson was cost-controlled for a little longer, sure, but given the Sox's financial restrictions (due in large part to Rios, Dunn, Konerko, and Danks contracts), it just doesn't make a ton of sense to me to get rid of some of the cheap guys we have (especially when the Sox don't have a lot of replacements looming).

If they could package Castro, Mitchell, and others for Johnson I'd be open, especially since the Sox are going to have to figure out how to do something when Peavy/Floyd potentially come off there books (depending on what they do with both players options). And then there is Youk as well.

I'm just not sure at all the guy is going to pitch any better than Quintana, for about 25 times the price.

If I am trading Viciedo or Quintana, I have to be pretty damn sure I am getting a significant upgrade.