Jared Mitchell to AAA

WHarris1

Very interesting. I'm curious what has gone on during his struggles since his hot start. Guy has the tools and given how raw he was, you expected him to take time. I know the Sox were still making some tweaks to his swing and I'm hopeful that part of his struggles are related to a necessary step back which will ultimately result in a couple steps forward.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 11:47 AM)
Sounds like trade inflation to me.

Yeah, didn't seem like he was ready for this just yet. Could be showcasing.

At least this moves the line along among the outfielders waiting behind B-Ham. Should see some more movement. Feel bad for my AAP Mark Haddow, would have been ready for a promotion the way he was playing and with Walker and Mitchell moving up, but he's on the DL.

Remenowsky back to B-Ham, that pretty much seals it for him. He jumped to AAA twice and just didn't get it done there. At this point and his age, I'd say his shot at the majors is now very, very long.

However, every scout in baseball knows Mitchell has struggled with consistency this season.

I can't imagine they're going to be fooled by him being promoted to AAA the week before a trade. They probably just want to see how he does the last month of the AAA season in that smaller park...perhaps, it could have something to do with wanting him to be with a different hitting coach.

Sometimes if things aren't really clicking with one particular coach, you try another and see how that works out.

And he could definitely be a pinch-runner or PHer in September. I'd rather have him up there than Escobar, Flowers or Hudson.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 12:13 PM)
However, every scout in baseball knows Mitchell has struggled with consistency this season.

I can't imagine they're going to be fooled by him being promoted to AAA the week before a trade. They probably just want to see how he does the last month of the AAA season in that smaller park...perhaps, it could have something to do with wanting him to be with a different hitting coach.

Sometimes if things aren't really clicking with one particular coach, you try another and see how that works out.

And he could definitely be a pinch-runner or PHer in September. I'd rather have him up there than Escobar, Flowers or Hudson.

Not so much fooling scouts... it is more a matter of catching a team's attention. He gets promoted, other GM's and orgs see that and say, hey, how stale is our info on this guy? Maybe we should have someone go check him out again.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 12:23 PM)
Not so much fooling scouts... it is more a matter of catching a team's attention. He gets promoted, other GM's and orgs see that and say, hey, how stale is our info on this guy? Maybe we should have someone go check him out again.

They would save money just reading this site or WSI, lol.

Granted, there are lots of things we're not picking up mechanically with his swing. We don't have the video....at least I don't think too many here are subscribing to MILB.tv and watching Barons games on a consistent basis and trying to analyze what's been going on with Jared the last 6 weeks or so.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 12:30 PM)
They would save money just reading this site or WSI, lol.

Granted, there are lots of things we're not picking up mechanically with his swing. We don't have the video....at least I don't think too many here are subscribing to MILB.tv and watching Barons games on a consistent basis and trying to analyze what's been going on with Jared the last 6 weeks or so.

You can't watch Barons games on MiLB.tv.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 04:08 PM)
So my question is, if we trade Walker and Mitchell is anyone going to miss these players? They're far from sure things to even make the Majors at all.

I'm actually starting to like Walker more than Mitchell. I think Mitchell has a better skillset, but he can't seem to put it together.

I'd be 100% ok with 1 of them being gone for sure, but I don't want them both to be traded.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 04:21 PM)
I'm actually starting to like Walker more than Mitchell. I think Mitchell has a better skillset, but he can't seem to put it together.

I'd be 100% ok with 1 of them being gone for sure, but I don't want them both to be traded.

I don't know if I'd go as far as to say I like Walker over Mitchell yet, but it's definitely close. I prefer Thompson to both at this point because his power is a tool that has translated into a real skill. Walker has the speed and Mitchell supposedly has his back, but it's all projection for these three offensively other than Thompson's power. I'd miss Thompson a bit if we traded him, but I can't say the same for Mitchell or Walker if it comes in the form of a nice SP.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 02:08 PM)
So my question is, if we trade Walker and Mitchell is anyone going to miss these players? They're far from sure things to even make the Majors at all.

Walker has made some pretty strong strides this year. To me it comes down to what there value is. The potential upside is there. I'd be irritated if the Sox traded a guy like them for Myers.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 04:43 PM)
Walker has made some pretty strong strides this year. To me it comes down to what there value is. The potential upside is there. I'd be irritated if the Sox traded a guy like them for Myers.

Well yeah, but we saw how little it took to get Myers. Walker's value is a big step up from what Heidenreich/Walters have.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 02:59 PM)
Do we know who is on the hook for Myers' $3 million buyout?

I would imagine we're only getting $1 million from the Astros is the reason we didn't surrender any top talent.

Unless I'm mistaken, the option (and the related buyout) aren't even in play unless he finishes X number of games. And barring some sort of significant injury or Reed going straight to crap, Myers isn't going to get enough opportunities to trigger the option. Thus, the Sox aren't on the hook for anything.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 05:25 PM)
Unless I'm mistaken, the option (and the related buyout) aren't even in play unless he finishes X number of games. And barring some sort of significant injury or Reed going straight to crap, Myers isn't going to get enough opportunities to trigger the option. Thus, the Sox aren't on the hook for anything.

No, i think the choice will be there UNLESS he finishes something like 45 games this year. If he does, it AUTOMATICALLY vests. If he falls short, we can either choose the option or the buyout.

EDIT: Yup.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensa...ots/?page_id=84

"2013 option guaranteed based on 2012 games started (re-worked 2/12 to vest with 45 games finished in 2012, reflecting change to closer’s role)"

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 11:25 PM)

I am guessing if he stays in the pen he easily pitches in 20 games yet and I think that is more than enough to get the larger buyout. Since they pitched him just 1/3 of an inning last night it makes me think they are not too worried about it.

Still not clear.

Is it 45 appearances or 45 games where he is the last pitcher in the game, save situation or finishing the game one way or the other?

The way I would read it is that it would automatically vest at 45. If he doesn't get the 45, then the team holding the contract would still owe him $3 million for the buyout. Otherwise, it wouldn't make sense. He can't get to 45, only for the Astros to cancel or void it with the $3 million.