Sox eager to move Floyd, other notes

southsider2k5

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we're more worried about Jake Peavy's feelings than the welfare of the ballclub, someone's got to man up.

I really don't think this is the case at all...and Jake has to realize it would be insane for us to pick up that option. He's getting paid like an ace, and he's been close to an ace this year, but gambling on it happening two years in a row, with how he's been a lot more hittable in the 2nd half, it's just not a logical move.

I would rather have Youkilis, Floyd, AJ and Simon Castro rather than one Jake Peavy (maybe you can erase one of those names of Floyd/Youk/AJ), but the point still remains, if the only other option is Morel, Flowers and Peavy or Castro, Youk and AJ, no way do I think about retaining Jakemeister.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 07:23 PM)
i rather get someone else than someone who is going to leave after the year and doesnt like pitching at the cell

Me too. Greinke is as flaky as they come. I'd rather pass and try to sign him in free agency and do without him this year. Talk about a rental ... if he doesn't like it here he won't for a second reconsider staying with the Sox. He's one very very weird dude. At least if he signs as a free agent you know he wants to be here.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 05:49 PM)
If we're more worried about Jake Peavy's feelings than the welfare of the ballclub, someone's got to man up.

I really don't think this is the case at all...and Jake has to realize it would be insane for us to pick up that option. He's getting paid like an ace, and he's been close to an ace this year, but gambling on it happening two years in a row, with how he's been a lot more hittable in the 2nd half, it's just not a logical move.

I would rather have Youkilis, Floyd, AJ and Simon Castro rather than one Jake Peavy (maybe you can erase one of those names of Floyd/Youk/AJ), but the point still remains, if the only other option is Morel, Flowers and Peavy or Castro, Youk and AJ, no way do I think about retaining Jakemeister.

What's more insane, taking on the $18 million (the marginal cost) for an ace or trying to replace said ace for less in free agency or via trade?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 06:09 PM)
What's more insane, taking on the $18 million (the marginal cost) for an ace or trying to replace said ace for less in free agency or via trade?

Depends where the Sox finish. No way Peavy comes back if we don't make the playoffs or he/the team fades in August and Sept.

What about the cost of replacing Youk, AJ and Floyd?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 11:49 PM)

You make sense. No way Sox will keep Peavy. Sox are way to cheap to do that.

I don't know why they'd give up any young pieces in a deal that involves Greinke as well. Odds are very low that Zach will pick Chicago as his destination in free agency. No way Sox are going to give him a long term deal for enough money to get a contract done.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 05:25 PM)
You make sense. No way Sox will keep Peavy. Sox are way to cheap to do that.

I don't know why they'd give up any young pieces in a deal that involves Greinke as well. Odds are very low that Zach will pick Chicago as his destination in free agency. No way Sox are going to give him a long term deal for enough money to get a contract done.

I'd rather take Buerhle back if the Marlins eat 25-35% of his remaining contract. I'm sure JW would be more in favor of that than $100-112.5 million over 5 years to Greinke.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 04:42 PM)
But if Q is hot this year, replacing him with Greinke may not be a major upgrade. Next year they have nothing to show for him. If it is a marginal potential upgrade (compared to the production the squad has had in the current year) and the downside (e.g., Q turns into a solid innings eater with a 4 to 4.25 ERA) is major. You lose a cost controlled quality starter for a marginal upgrade.

Clearly stuff wise they are on different levels and I know who I'd take with a game on the line in the postseason, however, its hard to argue the results thus far this year. And given all you have with Greinke is this year, I just can't rationalize moving Q for him.

Q isn't going to pitch like this forever. He may well be a good pitcher, but with his stuff I think reality is 4.50ish ERA for an average season. I could totally see him getting blown up in the playoffs.

I found these quotes from Chuck's write up to be particularly interesting/entertaining:

“I think it’s safe to say if there’s been an impact person out there that can help this club, we’ve made that phone call,” Williams said Tuesday in an interview with Comcast SportsNet. “You’d be surprised at some of the phone calls we’ve made.”

He didn’t offer up any names, so you’ll have to use your imagination. However, when I mentioned Greinke, as well as Cubs pitcher Ryan Dempster, and whether he made phone calls inquiring about them, Williams didn't avoid the answer.

“You wouldn’t be off base,” Williams said. “I can’t deny any rumors. You haven’t heard me deny any rumors unless it’s something that I feel is going to take away from the focus of one of our guys, and then I might come out and say, ‘No, so-and-so is safe. We’re not looking down that road.”

Williams never came to the defense of any of the pitchers in his rotation. Feel free to draw your own conclusions.

Pressing him a little further, I said to Williams, “It sounds to me like you’re going after Greinke.”

Looking at my notebook, he replied light-heartedly, “It sounds to me like there are other questions on that pad.”

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 03:33 PM)
What about Cliff Lee? Some rumblings the Rangers are in on him. Big game pitcher and with other contracts coming off the books, Sox could probably make Lee's deal work (albeit it would spell the end of Peavy).

Wouldn't shock me at all if KW inquired about Doc or Lee. I'd pass on both given their contract and diminishing performance. As for Peavy, I think the Hamels extension makes it even more likely he's gone after this year. I'll be stunned if Dodgers don't go after him.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 10:33 AM)
What about Cliff Lee? Some rumblings the Rangers are in on him. Big game pitcher and with other contracts coming off the books, Sox could probably make Lee's deal work (albeit it would spell the end of Peavy).

I'd have a hard time seeing Reinsdorf sign off on that one.

I could def. see Kenny calling about C Lee as well he has coveted both Doc and Cliff for awhile. The teams have mactched up a few times in recent years. They are going to have to get rid of one their big contracts either now or in the off season. I still think Kenny is using this pretty aggressive market right now. He said it in Chucks write up there some "surprising calls" out there, who knows what he is thinking I just think he will either do something that makes a big splash (impact move) or nothing. Should be an interesting couple of days.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the Sox acquired Weeks (whose contract is currently brutal), Greinke, and some substantial cash in a deal involving Floyd, Beckham, and spects. Probably at least someone the caliber of a Mitchell. That partially depends on whether the Sox brass thinks Weeks can rebound. And it isn't normal for the Sox to take on a bad contract.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 10:54 AM)
I also wouldn't be surprised if the Sox acquired Weeks (whose contract is currently brutal), Greinke, and some substantial cash in a deal involving Floyd, Beckham, and spects. Probably at least someone the caliber of a Mitchell. That partially depends on whether the Sox brass thinks Weeks can rebound. And it isn't normal for the Sox to take on a bad contract.

Although I think that would be a little much for Grienke, and I prefer Beckham to Weeks. It would not surprise me in the slightest if Gordon gets traded in a package. I'm a huge Beckham fan, only authentic jersey I own but he has been a huge disappointment and I could imagine he still has some trade value. KW might move him in the right deal. I would be sad to see him go but wouldn't mind seeing it if he brought back something that pushed us over the edge. I'm not sure if Grienke/Weeks is that package however.

But a GB/Floyd could probably fetch us a pretty good trade.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 09:05 AM)
Although I think that would be a little much for Grienke, and I prefer Beckham to Weeks. It would not surprise me in the slightest if Gordon gets traded in a package. I'm a huge Beckham fan, only authentic jersey I own but he has been a huge disappointment and I could imagine he still has some trade value. KW might move him in the right deal. I would be sad to see him go but wouldn't mind seeing it if he brought back something that pushed us over the edge. I'm not sure if Grienke/Weeks is that package however.

But a GB/Floyd could probably fetch us a pretty good trade.

Weeks is a huge downgrade defensively. Offensively he has his own flaws and is having a brutal year. Injuries are also a major issue. Straight up, given Week's contract, I'm keeping Becks. He is in a huge slump, maybe he'll go onto one of his good streaks for the rest of the year.

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS

#chisox like zack greinke best of potentially available starters. South siders will get someone, ken w isn't stand-pat guy

How about Floyd, Beckham and Castro to Milw for Greinke and Aoki?

I'd play Escobar at 2B.

Edited by SOXOBAMA