Hanley Ramirez traded to Dodgers

justBLAZE

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 08:41 AM)
It's too bad we didn't rock a Ramirez/Ramirez swap.

It wouldn't have given the Marlins what they wanted most... Salary relief. We would have had better odds with a Escobar for Ramirez swap, judging by the return Miami got.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 08:20 AM)
Jeez, they got nothing for Hanley.

Yeah I mean they got his salary paid. How is that enough though? Ramirez was one of the best players in baseball up until 2 years ago? Eovaldi is a good arm. Some scouts think he's a late inning reliever but I would imagine he goes into Miami's rotation with Jacob Turner. I don't know much about the other pitcher from the Dodgers. Hanley Ramirez was worth a lot more than that though. I would imagine if Texas wants Josh Johnson like everyone is saying then he will be a Ranger by the weekend. Marlins should demand Olt in return but at this rate they'd probably accept a hell of a lot less than that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 08:43 AM)
It wouldn't have given the Marlins what they wanted most... Salary relief. We would have had better odds with a Escobar for Ramirez swap, judging by the return Miami got.

Loria was quoted as saying they had to do something, their roster wasn't working. That implies getting something back that works, but I guess what he really meant was, "I have to get out of having to pay these contracts ASAP". There are so many empty seats there now. Just wait until next year.

I really think if the White Sox want to take part in this selloff they are going to have to offer significantly more than other teams for the same players.

If Josh Johnson comes to the White Sox and they go to the playoffs and he performs better than he did in Miami, it makes their managerial decision look pretty bad and isn't going to get people to buy any tickets. This is disaster for the Marlins, but in a way, they are getting what they deserve. They didn't pay attention to the White Sox and Ozzie for the past few years. If they had, they probably wouldn't have even considered him.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 09:12 AM)
Wow that was fast!

Eovaldi is a decent SP prospect...It would have been the equivalent of us trading them Quintana and a random prospect for Hanley.

The minor league guru's seem to have him pegged as a relief pitcher.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 09:08 AM)
Meanwhile, there's a reason the Marlins have no fans. They go out and sign Jose Reyes off one ridiculous half-season before he tore his hamstring, and now they're stuck with a more expensive, lesser shortstop.

Great point and it would seem Hanley has the largest fan base in Miami since he's been there the longest plus the demographic of Miami made him very popular. Between this and Ozzies quotes about Fidel the Miami Marlins are officially a TRAIN WRECK! Really kinda shocking after their impact offseason.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 09:42 AM)
Great point and it would seem Hanley has the largest fan base in Miami since he's been there the longest plus the demographic of Miami made him very popular. Between this and Ozzies quotes about Fidel the Miami Marlins are officially a TRAIN WRECK! Really kinda shocking after their impact offseason.

Not so shocking really. It think at least on Soxtalk the consensus was that this team wasn't good enough to compete in the NL East, and that 4th place was most likely.

Granted I think most though the Mets would be in last, and the Phillies near the top, but the site was pretty spot on when it came to the Marlins.