Marlins Firesale

Quin

Well...Sanchez, Infante, and Ramirez are gone.

Think we could get in on Johnson or Buehrle?

Maybe we flip Floyd for a prospect, send that prospect to Marlins for Buehrle. But they throw in cash for the last two years and we throw in a low level 'spect of our own or a BP arm (not Reed)?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 01:55 AM)
Well...Sanchez, Infante, and Ramirez are gone.

Think we could get in on Johnson or Buehrle?

Maybe we flip Floyd for a prospect, send that prospect to Marlins for Buehrle. But they throw in cash for the last two years and we throw in a low level 'spect of our own or a BP arm (not Reed)?

Doubt it, looks like they're straight up trimming payroll. I'm sure Buehrle is available but someone would need to take on that salary.

Buehrle having a great year, I did not expect it coming off his very good 2011 FA year (his 2011 WHIP @ 1.3 was a bit higher than what he's doing this year at 1.16, that equates to an extra baserunner per inning every 7.1 innings if my math is correct (which it probably isn't)

Buehrle back on the staff would make losing Peavy next year less significant, but a Sale, Peavy, Buehrle, Danks, Humber/Quintana rotation would be nice if all healthy. to get buehrle, I would imagine we would be giving up Quintana and probably more if we wanted them to take on some of Mark's salary (if this is indeed a full-fledged firesale, they probably aren't going to be getting much back for their high-priced players like Mark, as they won't be eating any salary)

Again, KW never did anything like this to Ozzie. I am very interested to see how he reacts to his team being stripped down around him due to poor performance, because it has never happened before.

If KW handed Ozzie a team like that, KW would be(against all common sense) trying to add right now.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 07:51 AM)
I know its probably unrealistic, and that his contract is overpaying and severely backloaded.... but the fan in me would love to see M56 back with the Sox. Maybe the Fish can send some money with him in a trade to offset the fiscal cliff in his contract.

If we could get some cash for the last year of that deal, that would be an ideal move. Mark already knows the AL, and the Sox.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 07:54 AM)
If we could get some cash for the last year of that deal, that would be an ideal move. Mark already knows the AL, and the Sox.

I dunno... his contract is pretty steep. As much as I LOVE Buehrle, look at his contract:

2012- 6 million

2013- 11 million

2014- 18 million

2015- 19 million

With that money, I would like to go get somebody younger such as Grienke. Don't get me wrong, Buehrle is my alltime favorite White Sox, but im thinking about the future of this team and we already have 3 solid lefties in Sale, Q and Danks.

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 07:01 AM)
Again, KW never did anything like this to Ozzie. I am very interested to see how he reacts to his team being stripped down around him due to poor performance, because it has never happened before.

If KW handed Ozzie a team like that, KW would be(against all common sense) trying to add right now.

Definitely will be interesting to see how Oz reacts with this sell-off. I don't think he ever expiernced it with the Sox, can't wait to watch The Franchise on Showtime to see.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 08:08 AM)
I dunno... his contract is pretty steep. As much as I LOVE Buehrle, look at his contract:

2012- 6 million

2013- 11 million

2014- 18 million

2015- 19 million

With that money, I would like to go get somebody younger such as Grienke. Don't get me wrong, Buehrle is my alltime favorite White Sox, but im thinking about the future of this team and we already have 3 solid lefties in Sale, Q and Danks.

Grienke just became a $25 million a year pitcher on the open market thanks to Cole Hammels.

Amazing how little you have to give up when you make a trade with a team who hopes to have the White Sox attendance next year and you are willing to take on all the cash. Buehrle back to the Sox is a pipe dream, I doubt Miami wants to help the Sox win anyway. If the Sox win it makes Ozzie look worse.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 08:20 AM)
I still don't want Buehrle with that money owed him in the last two years.

Love the guy, but no.

We've been saying it for years. This dude will pitch the same today as he will when he's 38-40. He doesn't survive on gas.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 08:21 AM)
We've been saying it for years. This dude will pitch the same today as he will when he's 38-40. He doesn't survive on gas.

And I still don't want to pay him $18.5 million a year for the last two seasons of the contract.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 08:17 AM)
Amazing how little you have to give up when you make a trade with a team who hopes to have the White Sox attendance next year and you are willing to take on all the cash. Buehrle back to the Sox is a pipe dream, I doubt Miami wants to help the Sox win anyway. If the Sox win it makes Ozzie look worse.

Plus I get the feeling that the Marlins aren't paying cash out for contracts if they weren't willing to get better players while doing so in the Hanley deal. They can't even pretend that was a baseball trade, even though they will try.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 08:26 AM)
Plus I get the feeling that the Marlins aren't paying cash out for contracts if they weren't willing to get better players while doing so in the Hanley deal. They can't even pretend that was a baseball trade, even though they will try.

Yep. Salary relief. Pure and simple. Just a ridiculous return for such a talent.

I would absolutely love getting MB56 back. I get goose bumps thinking about his return to the Cell in the race to the playoffs. That 18.5 million salary would be excessive for the last 2 years of his contract, but that means the Sox should be able to get him without giving up anyone from this years team or too much damage from the farm.

Well, if the Marlins throw in any money for those last two years, they'd save money overall.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 08:52 AM)
I would absolutely love getting MB56 back. I get goose bumps thinking about his return to the Cell in the race to the playoffs. That 18.5 million salary would be excessive for the last 2 years of his contract, but that means the Sox should be able to get him without giving up anyone from this years team or too much damage from the farm.

Unless KW can get Buehrle for like, the most insignificant prospect ever, and thinks it puts them over the top this year. Then maybe you consider that contract (overall, it's not as bad, just those last two years look terrible).

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 10:20 AM)
Absolutely not.

Ya, that. I'm not uber high on Quintana but I'm not trading him for a bad contract.

Buehrle is quite possibly my favorite athlete of all time but unless Miami is throwing a ton of money our way(which they won't), stay the hell away.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 10:22 AM)
Ya, that. I'm not uber high on Quintana but I'm not trading him for a bad contract.

Buehrle is quite possibly my favorite athlete of all time but unless Miami is throwing a ton of money our way(which they won't), stay the hell away.

100 percent agree. I would not like to be stuck with that contract when the salary starts to go up significantly. I think the Marlins would trade him for a bag of balls if we would take his salary though. Which we better not.