Marlins Firesale

Quin

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 04:53 AM)
A firesale that involves trading someone in the first year of a 4-year deal would be unprecedented, even for the Marlins.

I'd love Buehrle back, but I wouldnt' give up a ton in return and I'd expect Miami to eat some of the contract. That probably won't happen.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 10:26 AM)
100 percent agree. I would not like to be stuck with that contract when the salary starts to go up significantly. I think the Marlins would trade him for a bag of balls if we would take his salary though. Which we better not.

I'm alone in this, but I do this if it helps them win this year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 06:26 AM)
Plus I get the feeling that the Marlins aren't paying cash out for contracts if they weren't willing to get better players while doing so in the Hanley deal. They can't even pretend that was a baseball trade, even though they will try.

Part of that is the Dodgers don't have much in terms of prospects. Olney reported the Dodgers didn't want to give up there top guys and apparently they were the only team willing to eat the whole contract. Marlins had considered throwing in cash to other teams, Dodgers just didn't have the specs to make it worthwhile, hence they went this route.

When you look at Hanley's numbers the past 2 years, this deal could end up being good for the Marlins as Hanley isn't playing near the level of his contract. However, a change of scenery might get him straightened back up.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 10:35 AM)
Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN

In the upper offices of other clubs--where they worry about big-picture health of baseball--there is some concern about the Marlins' moves.

Backloaded contracts, state with a history of not showing up for baseball games, thinking or a least hoping people pay to see a manager.................everyone should have seen this coming last winter.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 10:58 AM)
Backloaded contracts, state with a history of not showing up for baseball games, thinking or a least hoping people pay to see a manager.................everyone should have seen this coming last winter.

LOL, seriously. I know plenty of us on here predicted this would happen last winter, I would hope MLB executives were able to as well.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 09:01 AM)
Well, if the Marlins throw in any money for those last two years, they'd save money overall.

Unless KW can get Buehrle for like, the most insignificant prospect ever, and thinks it puts them over the top this year. Then maybe you consider that contract (overall, it's not as bad, just those last two years look terrible).

I tend to agree here as well, but I actually predicted before the season started that the Sox would acquire Buehrle this season after the Marlins faltered (I know, you're very happy for me).

One thing I think you have to think about is the contracts pitchers are getting these days. 2 years from now 18 - 19 million a season might be the going rate for an above average innings eater like Buehrle. Buehrles' pitching style lends itself to him being injury free and effective for several years yet

Marlins and Brewers and Phillies have proven once again that the dumbest members of our species are the General Managers of our three major sports. There should be a law that GM's are not allowed to re-produce.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 11:02 AM)
I wonder when Ozzie gets fired. We won in 05 cause of Cooper, not Ozzie.

Ozzie was a huge reason we won in '05. Getting control of a Major League clubhouse and winning the respect of the players is the biggest thing a manager & coaching staff can do, and Ozzie was great at that. It was actually masterful the way he attracted all the media attention to himself during the Sox epic near-collapse during Cleveland's hot streak that year. Ozzie's contributions should never be diminished.

That said, Ozzie turned into an egomaniac here. The 2008 and beyond Ozzie became worse as time went on and totally lost the clubhouse. Ozzie lost his respect for his job and his respect for the game. Ozzie & Cora however are still (and this isn't saying much) better game managers than Ventura & Parent are, but the difference is the Sox will play for Robin & his guys while they'd only tank it for Ozzie.

But yeah, Ozzie was hired because his race & colorful nature were expected to draw fans in Miami; no other team in baseball would have hired Ozzie after last season. The novelty wore off quickly however with the Castro comments and it's clear his head is on the chopping block. And when it officially rolls, I'd like to see him cut the umbilical on Oney, learn a little humility, and return to the Sox where he belongs in some type of ambassador role. His #13 belongs on the fence if he'd quit being such an egocentric asshole.

Yeah, it'd never happen. Kinda neat to think if we were in first after the deadline and got Buehrle, the atmosphere for his first start back at the Cell.

Again, it'd be neat if we were ignoring the money, but we can't. Otherwise, he'd be a hell of a fit.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 02:09 PM)
But yeah, Ozzie was hired because his race & colorful nature were expected to draw fans in Miami; no other team in baseball would have hired Ozzie after last season. The novelty wore off quickly however with the Castro comments and it's clear his head is on the chopping block. And when it officially rolls, I'd like to see him cut the umbilical on Oney, learn a little humility, and return to the Sox where he belongs in some type of ambassador role. His #13 belongs on the fence if he'd quit being such an egocentric asshole.

I'd be willing to bet you that Ozzie has a spot waiting for him either on MLB Network or ESPN. That's where he will go when his time in Miami ends, not to another team.

JR on MB56 from ESPN.COM:

"The only thing I can tell you is when Mark told me he had a $56-million, four-year contract offer, I told him he should take it," Reinsdorf said. "I really told Mark he had to take it. At this stage of your career, it's more money than you're worth. He said he was going to take it, but he'll back in four years."

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/07/25/2910...-for-miami.html

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/07/26/2912...mi-marlins.html

The spin on this trade is that they had to get rid of Hanley Ramirez because he'd become a clubhouse cancer. And they were going to lose Sanchez at the end of the season...and Infante is an aging superutility guy and not a part of the future, either.

Distinguishing it from a fire sale, so far.

All bets are off were they to trade Josh Johnson, though.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 10:25 AM)
So when is the Guillen family mouthpiece going to write a scathing article about Mean Mr Loria and Evil Larry Beinfest?

Guillen, Beinfest and most of his teammates wanted Ramirez out.

And Eovaldi will become a member of their starting rotation.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 10:32 AM)
Part of that is the Dodgers don't have much in terms of prospects. Olney reported the Dodgers didn't want to give up there top guys and apparently they were the only team willing to eat the whole contract. Marlins had considered throwing in cash to other teams, Dodgers just didn't have the specs to make it worthwhile, hence they went this route.

When you look at Hanley's numbers the past 2 years, this deal could end up being good for the Marlins as Hanley isn't playing near the level of his contract. However, a change of scenery might get him straightened back up.

Zach Lee is the one they won't give away, for Dempster or Ramirez. He's right there with Olt and Delgado as a prospect.