Marlins Firesale

Quin

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 01:47 PM)
Marlins and Brewers and Phillies have proven once again that the dumbest members of our species are the General Managers of our three major sports. There should be a law that GM's are not allowed to re-produce.

They stole Sabathia from the Indians...how's LaPorta (LaFatta in Ozzie lingo) doing?

On the other hand, Lorenzo Cain and especially Alicides Escobar (Greinke deal) look to be keepers....Escobar is already one of the 2-3 best shortstops in the AL right now.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 07:14 AM)
Joey Cora, is that you?

I suppose it can be compared to the Swisher or Javy situations. Although, in all fairness, Ramirez was a mess before Guillen arrived.

Moving him to 3B definitely didn't help things.

But yeah, to give up someone with that amount of talent for the return they got is never good for any franchise.

On the other hand, we would probably get a similar package for Rios were we to trade him, they're owed about the same amount of money...and Ramirez at his best is arguably a superstar whereas Rios is an All-Star. There's no guarantee that Hanley will be great for the Dodgers, any more than someone can project how good Alex Rios will be in 2013 and 2014.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 06:32 AM)
JR on MB56 from ESPN.COM:

"The only thing I can tell you is when Mark told me he had a $56-million, four-year contract offer, I told him he should take it," Reinsdorf said. "I really told Mark he had to take it. At this stage of your career, it's more money than you're worth. He said he was going to take it, but he'll back in four years."

LOL, this is outstanding. "They are overpaying the s*** out of you, so you have to take the money & run"

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 06:44 AM)
http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/07/25/2910...-for-miami.html

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/07/26/2912...mi-marlins.html

The spin on this trade is that they had to get rid of Hanley Ramirez because he'd become a clubhouse cancer. And they were going to lose Sanchez at the end of the season...and Infante is an aging superutility guy and not a part of the future, either.

Distinguishing it from a fire sale, so far.

All bets are off were they to trade Josh Johnson, though.

Spin all you want. The Marlins are selling off.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 06:47 AM)
Guillen, Beinfest and most of his teammates wanted Ramirez out.

And Eovaldi will become a member of their starting rotation.

Guillen can't handle a guy with any kind of ego. Ironic, isn't it. I'd bet money that Hanley has a huge year next year.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 04:32 AM)
JR on MB56 from ESPN.COM:

"The only thing I can tell you is when Mark told me he had a $56-million, four-year contract offer, I told him he should take it," Reinsdorf said. "I really told Mark he had to take it. At this stage of your career, it's more money than you're worth. He said he was going to take it, but he'll back in four years."

I really love Mark.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 01:36 PM)
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS

#marlins looking for "teixeira-like'' package for johnson, wont trade reyes, buehrle. #fish #firesale http://cbsprt.co/PNprjV

lol @ wanting a teixeira like package for a pitcher that has only pitched over 30 games in a season just once. its a guarantee that hes going to get hurt every year, (small or big injury, but some kind of issue) hes worth a gamble but not for anywhere near a package like that

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 12:53 PM)
Guillen can't handle a guy with any kind of ego. Ironic, isn't it. I'd bet money that Hanley has a huge year next year.

Isn't Hanley the guy who cut his hand stupidly then wouldn't take the medicine so it got infected? He must be a piece of work.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 03:32 PM)
Isn't Hanley the guy who cut his hand stupidly then wouldn't take the medicine so it got infected? He must be a piece of work.

Yep.

This trade didn't come from Ozzie, it was more Beinfest and Loria reaching their wit's end with him, in terms of playing up to his potential the last 2 1/2 years.

A little like the Zambrano/Cubs situation, although maybe not quite so dramatic.

““I agree with what Ozzie (Guillen) said, how we’re all grown men. If you can’t the take responsibility and not let him (Hanley Ramirez) rub off on you if you think he’s doing something you don’t like, then that’s not really fair,’ Choate said.

“That’s putting way to much on one guy and not assuming the blame yourself as a player. I know all of those guys in the (Marlins’) clubhouse and I know they didn’t necessarily mean it that way, but sometimes somebody can become the easy target, the one to blame.

“I think it’s unfair to put it on one guy when it’s basically the team as a whole because we didn’t win. One guy can’t carry the whole team all the time. To say it was all Hanley I don’t think is a fair statement but maybe that’s why they made a change — that it’s good to get him out of that clubhouse and get a fresh start in a new clubhouse.”

.”

palmbeachpost.com/sports

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 11:40 AM)
Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale

The #Marlins say they plan to put Carlos Lee on waivers if they can't trade him by today's non-waiver deadline.

Why would they come out and say this? Didn't they just lessen any trade value he may have had?

Why would they come out and say this? Didn't they just lessen any trade value he may have had?

If a team would need the Marlins to eat some of his salary in order to make a deal, it lets them know that they have to get the deal done today. If he goes on waivers, only teams that can afford to eat his salary can risk putting in a claim (see Rios, Alex).

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 12:48 PM)
If a team would need the Marlins to eat some of his salary in order to make a deal, it lets them know that they have to get the deal done today. If he goes on waivers, only teams that can afford to eat his salary can risk putting in a claim (see Rios, Alex).

He'll more than likely clear waivers. The Marlins aren't paying most of CLee's salary anyway. Houston is. If he goes on waivers, I believe his entire contract would have to be picked up. That isn't happening.

Edited by Dick Allen