Beckham - could this be it for him?

Greg Hibbard

I'm not trying to be drastic, but after the GIDP last night (that could have been a real momentum shifter back to the Twins), I revisited his stats.

I've always been a fan/apologist, but it seems that Beckham has really been sinking recently, and sinking badly, AGAIN.

Let me be clear - I don't recommend taking him out of the lineup - I think we live with him for the rest of this year. One hole in the lineup like this is is not going to kill us. However, I see no signs he'll finish any better than a .240/.300/.400/.700 hitter, and that's just not good enough.

For his career - four now severely subpar splits of .245/.311/.380/.691.

He's hitting as bad as he was in April in July - and July's almost over.

Since the beginning of the 2010 season, his OPS is around .660.

Can we live with this for his defense? I think at this point, we're pretty damned sure what we're getting. Slightly above AAAA offensive skill and a great glove. Average speed. Not enough power. Not enough plate discipline. Not enough of an eye. Not quite enough of anything else, really.

I feel badly, but I think we're watching the end of his career these next two months...

Edited by Greg Hibbard

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensa...ts/?page_id=177

Prospective 2013 free agent secondbasemen:

Jeff Baker

Orlando Hudson *

Maicer Izturis

Howie Kendrick

Jeff Keppinger

Ian Kinsler *

Luis Rodriguez

Freddy Sanchez

Skip Schumaker

* – player whose current contract includes 2013 option

Some decent options I guess, but I am of the opinion that we should keep rolling out Beckham.

Edited by Wedge

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 11:05 AM)
If this was the 90's Beckham would be fine, unfortunately Mark Lemke's can't play on championship-caliber teams anymore.

Nick Punto & Ryan Theriot were on the 2011 WS champions and had a combined 27 ABs in the World Series.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 11:08 AM)
Nick Punto & Ryan Theriot were on the 2011 WS champions and had a combined 27 ABs in the World Series.

Aware, but exception to the rule. How many bulls*** slap hitting SS and 2B (even catchers) exist anymore as starters? Today the expectation is production from every spot. Dandy little glove men are a thing of the past.

It seems that he hit a lot better after being moved to the 2-spot, then went back to suck after being dropped down. Maybe its time to revisit that. I'd think Youk, as a veteran, might be able to adapt better to hitting lower than Bacon has done.

DeAza

Beck

Dunn

Konerko

Rios

Youk

AJ

Tank

Ramirez

I think this is it for him in Chicago. He's either getting traded in the next 6 days, or they'll move him in the offseason.

Some NL team will take his glove and think they can get his bat going. It may be something he wants himself by that point.

I would try to move him around in the lineup a bit again before trading him...he was playing fantastic in those games where his parents attended. And he does have 9 homeruns for the season...I honestly remember only like 2 or 3 of those.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 11:22 AM)
It seems that he hit a lot better after being moved to the 2-spot, then went back to suck after being dropped down. Maybe its time to revisit that. I'd think Youk, as a veteran, might be able to adapt better to hitting lower than Bacon has done.

DeAza

Beck

Dunn

Konerko

Rios

Youk

AJ

Tank

Ramirez

The first caller in the postgame last night brought up this point, and said that he would actually also drop Dunn to 6 and move Youk to 3 (which was interesting), but Rongey astutely retorted that Youk's OBA is too much to give up in front of Dunn/Konerko's bomb capabilities.

Still, I'd rather have a more balanced lineup than 6 guys who we're hoping some combination of can score on a 3 run bomb by one of em, and then a couple guys down below who either make singles or outs. Beckham really did seem to work in the 2 hole.

Edited by Greg Hibbard

Youk's OBA is too much to give up in front of Dunn/Konerko's bomb capabilities.

Agree 100%. If anything, you put Beckham 2nd and move everybody else down a spot, but then I don't know why anybody thinks that putting your worst hitter second in the lineup is a good idea. He sucks because he sucks, not because he's hitting 9th.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 11:29 AM)
The first caller in the postgame last night brought up this point, and said that he would actually also drop Dunn to 6 and move Youk to 3 (which was interesting), but Rongey astutely retorted that Youk's OBA is too much to give up in front of Dunn/Konerko's bomb capabilities.

Still, I'd rather have a more balanced lineup than 6 guys who we're hoping some combination of can score on a 3 run bomb by one of em, and then a couple guys down below who either make singles or outs. Beckham really did seem to work in the 2 hole.

Can anyone get Beckham's stats from hitting in the 2-hole? Here is what I would do:

De Aza

Beckham (back to comfortable role)

Youk (still would have his higher OBP above Dunn and Konerko)

Dunn

Konerko

Rios

AJ

Tank

Ramirez

As much as I complain about Becks, his defense is incredibly valuable and he is in the back of the order. I just wish he'd get his head on straight and at least improve his approach at the plate. He swings at some awful crap and really has a problem staying closed. Really really love his defense though and I see significant value in the fact that he's cost controlled and heady in the field (and on the paths).

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 12:25 PM)
I think this is it for him in Chicago. He's either getting traded in the next 6 days, or they'll move him in the offseason.

Some NL team will take his glove and think they can get his bat going. It may be something he wants himself by that point.

And just play Hudson at 2B for the rest of the season or something? Beckham's playing badly, but I'd rather have him for 60ish games than Hudson or Escobar. I just don't see how such a move makes sense.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 11:40 AM)
And just play Hudson at 2B for the rest of the season or something? Beckham's playing badly, but I'd rather have him for 60ish games than Hudson or Escobar. I just don't see how such a move makes sense.

No, I don't think it will be Escobar or Hudson either. I'm saying they'll trade him for another major league 2B if the right deal is available. If not, he stays the rest of the season, and they'll find a way to move him in the winter.